March 29, 2024, 02:40:55 AM

Author Topic: Bringing the Ivarium Warlord to Arena  (Read 3520 times)

CurseofFeanor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Bringing the Ivarium Warlord to Arena
« on: April 18, 2019, 12:22:54 PM »
Hi guys,

me and my local group of MW players are huge fans of the Arena warlords. We were thinking of a way to scale up the elven academy warlord to join ranks with his orcish and dwarven brethren and this is what we came up with:

Health - 35
Channeling - 9

Instead of his academy ability, he would get three unique battle commands applying to all soldier creatures in his zone until the end of the round:
Always prepared - gain Counterstrike
Overdraw - +1 range for non-spell ranged attacks
Alphastrike - while guarding counter attack before the attacking creature rolls its Dice

As an additional ability, we considered something like:
Hire mercenaries - the warlord may extend the range of creature spells by 1 if he pays level -1 mana

What do you think about these abilities? Do you think they are balanced?

From a gameplay and "lore" perspective, we considered the Ivarium warlord to be more of an pragmatic and flexible fighter, while the Bloodwave represents more agressive and brutish side of war and the Anvil Throne more the defensive and disciplind side of war.
To set him apart from the Paladin, which is also from Ivarium, he should be more opportunistic and less honorable.

Thoughts?

Ps.: English is not my native language, so please excuse my spelling.

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing the Ivarium Warlord to Arena
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 02:22:53 AM »
why use counterstrike when alpha strike is better in everyway?

i like plus range, plus to creature summon too but i think they are kind of strong

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 08:54:30 AM »
Because counterstrike means you don't need to spend your action guarding. It's basically a doublestrike if someone attacks the creature.

Freeborn42

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »
Am I understanding 'overdraw' correctly in believing that it increases the range of the attack by one and not that it adds a dice to the attack (which the bloodwave's "volley" command already does?

Regardless, this certainly looks like a good start to me, things probably still need some more balancing but the commands look decent to me, and are distinctly different from the other two WLs and the second ability or increasing the range of summoning could be really good.

Another idea might be a pet ability for the Ivarium WL. Could call it second in command or lieutenant with some sort of attached buff or ability.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:36:49 PM by Freeborn42 »

CurseofFeanor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »
Exactly, Always prepared provides a counter attack without having the need to guard, while Alfastrike capitalizes on the guard marker allowing the defender to attack first (like the temple high guard).

Overdraw would increase the range not the Dice, which is strong, but I believe it could bei balanced. The different abilities, while strong on their own, have little synergy with each other. I hope this provides more different playstyles.

The idea of a pet-like soldier is also an interesting one, but we could not think of innovative traits and stats to give it, as quiet a few mages already have that feature.

TucsonDoug

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 12:07:00 PM »
Just spitballing ideas here, but for the 'second in command' pet ability, what about giving the pet channeling, and the ability to either cast command spells, or duplicate command spells that the warlord casts. In a sort of 'relaying the order' sort of way?

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 01:56:02 PM »
Just spitballing ideas here, but for the 'second in command' pet ability, what about giving the pet channeling, and the ability to either cast command spells, or duplicate command spells that the warlord casts. In a sort of 'relaying the order' sort of way?

That creature already exists.
Gurmash, Orc Sergeant