March 28, 2024, 06:15:05 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars German Nationals 2019  (Read 5383 times)

netzhuffle

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Swiss Mage Wars Ambassador
    • View Profile
Mage Wars German Nationals 2019
« on: February 17, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
Mages from all over Etheria!

On Saturday and Sunday, May 25 & 26, we invite you to the MAGE WARS GERMAN NATIONALS 2019 in Bad Nauheim, Germany. For those who never heard of the German Nationals: This is the largest Mage Wars tournament world wide, non-Germans are very welcome too and will happen 2019 for the last time (for now)! So no matter your playing level or if you didn’t play Mage Wars Arena for a while, this is a tournament you do not want to miss.

Grab your spellbooks, check every spell in your library and become the most powerful mage in the arena. Only one can be the 5th German Mage Wars Champion!

Free tournament but limited player count. Please register at headjudge@jannis.rocks. All registrations until March 18 will have a secured spot, after that date tournament registrations will be subject to availability.

Tournament Rules (German): https://www.dropbox.com/s/38f3xrrsmf687hv/Mage%20Wars%20German%20Nationals%202019%20Turnierreglement.pdf?dl=0 (We’ll happily provide an English translation on request)
More information in our German forum: https://foren.pegasus.de/foren/topic/31550-mage-wars-arena-german-nationals-2019/#entry572515
More information on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/2104513516467212/
netzhuffle – Jannis Grimm, German Mage Wars Head Judge. headjudge@magewars.de

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars German Nationals 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 02:19:32 PM »
As per BGG, the Facebook appears to be a closed group.

An English translation would be appreciated? Are tehre any strange rules (this isn't a different mage each round or anything?)

I'm trying to see if I might be able to get to this. You had 26 players last year?

What time does it start and end each day? How is public transport in the evening getting to Bad Nauheim from Frankfurt am Maine airport?

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 03:11:12 AM »
Public transportation from Frankfurt is easy.

Not really anything strange going on:

You have to bring to spellbooks/mages. One for match 1-3 and another for match 4-6.

Scoring is a bit different:
Draw 1 point + 1/20 life diff.

Win   2 point + 1/20 life diff.

It has the desired effect - it rewards aggressive play that can actually kill the opponent mage before time.

A few minor rules, very much like the AD online tourneys.

I really recommend this and hope to be there again this year :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 07:17:05 AM »
You have to bring to spellbooks/mages. One for match 1-3 and another for match 4-6.

Can I infer from this that it's Swiss, rather than single/double elim?

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 09:52:40 AM »
It's Swiss alright.

That means I always get weak opponents! Hell yeah!

No.. Wait. It means I'm bad  :'(

netzhuffle

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 10:12:10 AM »
Reminder: There are still a few days remaining to register at headjudge@jannis.rocks! :)

Short rules summary:
– All expansions in English and German allowed (including Academy Monk and Necromancer), but no promo card that haven’t been available as core cards in an expansion (so the promo cards that came with expansions aren’t allowed).
– One book for round 1–3, different mage for round 4–6. (Alternate mages count as different mages.) No changes during the day.
– Please bring everything your mages need—including all markers, damage tokens, mana tokens, initiative markers, dice and so on. We can only bring the arena game boards.
– We’ll play Swiss. On day 1, round 1–3 will be played (with the first mage) and round 4 (with the second mage). Day 2 will see round 5 and 6 (with the second mage). After that, the best two players will play in the finals and the winner of this game will be the fifth German Mage Wars Arena champion. For the final game you can choose between the first or second mage or use an entirely new spell book.
– 90 minutes time limit per game, after that the current round will be finished. Win is 2 points + 1/20 life difference to opponent (max. 3 points), draw (time limit called) is 1 point + 1/20 life difference (max. 2 points), lost game is 1 point - 1/20 life difference (min. 0 points). Sounds a bit complicated, but works really well.

Looking forward to seeing you at Bad Nauheim!

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 11:27:28 AM »
Hi Jannis

I would like to know if Killer Bee´s are nerfed?

Looking forward to see you as well :)

Biblo
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

netzhuffle

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 12:05:55 PM »
Yeah, I guess they should, right? What nerf would you prefer? Having them doing critical damage only against living objects?

Also, we have Disciple of Radiance having its ability only once per round and Restore will not count for the remaining life points after each game.

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 12:11:53 PM »
I think Biblo is referring to the nerf used in the Arcane Duels League, found here:
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=18887.0

The revised Swarm trait they are using looks like this with added emphasis on the main part they changed:
Swarm (Please remember all non-mage objects are also spells)
Creatures with the Swarm trait cannot be targeted by non-attack actions or spells that do not specifically target Swarm creatures.  When attacking, Creatures with the Swarm trait may make additional strikes equal to their remaining health.  Additionally, they are immune to conditions, healing, and life gain that does not target swarms. Non-zone attacks do a maximum of 1 damage to them. Swarms cannot guard.

I would also like to know when the deadline is for submitting books for the tournament? :)
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

netzhuffle

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 12:16:50 PM »
So no change to Killer Bees, but only to the Swarm trait? Also sounds good to me.

Books should be submitted by May 13, but small changes before the tournament starts are still allowed.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 07:32:34 PM »
good luck to all of our community players who make this event. always root for folks we know.