April 25, 2024, 04:30:06 AM

Author Topic: New Arena Player - Introduction  (Read 4626 times)

LudiG

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
New Arena Player - Introduction
« on: February 05, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »
Hey guys, new Arena player here. Pushing to grow awareness of the game here where I live (which is pretty non-existent, tbh). Should be playing some games publicly at my LGS soon. As such, I would appreciate any advice regarding the introduction of new players to the game.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: New Arena Player - Introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 03:21:17 PM »
1) Know the rules! Maybe start with Core Set only? You'll have to judge whether your pupils can handle a full on Arena duel.
2) Have great patience. There is an overwhelming amount of choices in a 120 point spellbook. Maybe explain a few opening options.
3) If possible, walk spectators through an ongoing game so that the strategy, tactics (and consequences!) are observable rather than just theoretical.
4) Play a theme/casual book rather than a tournament book and instruct them on how to beat you.

P.S. Don't thorn-push the newbies.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:21:07 PM »
Also it maybe a good idea to set or build all four apprentice mages.  It has less spellbook points and a uses only half of the board and mages start with less life, and channel is at 10.  It is faster gameplay and players get a good feel without being overwhelmed with choices.  Shorter length of game too which sometimes is a deterrent when you  play a full game with new players.

I agree partially with Puddnhead about the walls,  It depends if ur both of you are new learning the game I don’t see it as big of a deal.  You both will learn a lesson of how to effectively make it work and or look to counter it.  Now if your experienced player playing newbies then maybe you should back off a bit.  Also it’s never a bad idea to play with a weaker book and let them have a stronger one to even out the playing field (just don’t let them know that). 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 04:51:50 PM »
Don't play a mana denial wizard.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:26:26 PM »
As the others have said.

Also:

Be prepared to lose to the new players. Give them suggestions on possible plays, warn them if they are about to do something particularly silly, and make some plays of your own that are not optimal but which demonstrate the sorts of things that can be done in the game.

I have taught three others in my time and each time they beat me in the apprentice match, going away with a smile. When they each came back for the second game, though, well... 
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 06:52:19 PM »
   i concur as well.

do not soul crush new players.
be enthusiastic, because it is contagious.

one big help for new players is to skim the glossary in the back of the rulebook. it is very helpful to just have those terms presented with some short descriptions. and if those players have previously played mtg, then picking up the conditions, tactics are much easier for them. since mw is much like playing the mage that is the player in mtg.

helping them beat yourself is a good suggestion. and as they gain experience and become stronger players you can loosen the restrictions on yourself to keep the competition even.

oh, and welcome to the community. it is a great group of people.

where are you located?

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 07:56:06 PM »
+1 for starting new players with Apprentice Mode.

See the link for an Apprentice Mode version of the Codex.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/120066/mage-wars-apprentice-codex-2015

This helps new players to look up key words in the smaller spellbooks used by the Core Set apprentice mages.

I usually recommend a first turn planning phase of 1 equipment and 1 creature to get a new player started.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

LudiG

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 05:04:55 AM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the rapid response.

I'll definitely be starting out with the apprentice spellbooks. In the few games I've had thus far, these books have presented plenty of choice for the new players to agonise over. Even those I would categorise as "keen strategy gamers", although they picked it up fairly quickly.

For full spellbooks, I've decided to use slightly modified versions of the recommended starting lists. I've tried to keep them on par with one another, with a variety of options to test throughout each without any one strategy really dominating the design of any one. A few equipment pieces, a few creatures, removal spells, etc. However, there are still clear themes differentiating the classes enough to highlight their respective strengths (but yeah, no mana denial wizard). I'll introduce these once a player who's finished an apprentice game expresses an interest in exploring the game further.

With regards to how I should play versus first-timers: I typically try a solid opener for whatever book I happen to be playing (for example, wolf+fox into Redclaw for the beastmaster book) just to showcase what a possible synergy looks like, but I'll keep the optimal, cutthroat sort of play in check thereafter if I feel the opponent needs some time to grasp the flow of play. However, I've not had many situations where I've had to choose to play poorly (for my ability). Most people I've played really have picked it up and run. I don't think the games complexity lies in it's basic rhythm of play, luckily.

i concur as well.

do not soul crush new players.
be enthusiastic, because it is contagious.

one big help for new players is to skim the glossary in the back of the rulebook. it is very helpful to just have those terms presented with some short descriptions. and if those players have previously played mtg, then picking up the conditions, tactics are much easier for them. since mw is much like playing the mage that is the player in mtg.

helping them beat yourself is a good suggestion. and as they gain experience and become stronger players you can loosen the restrictions on yourself to keep the competition even.

oh, and welcome to the community. it is a great group of people.

where are you located?

Thanks for the welcome. Believe me, the enthusiasm emerges unsolicited at this stage.

I hadn't thought about straight up giving the players the codex to read. I've just explained terms when they asked. Might be that's faster though.

Oh, I live in Cape Town, South Africa.

@wtcannonjr Thanks for that link. A scaled down version of the codex for apprentice games will come in very handy.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 07:40:10 PM »
wow that is great that you are in Africa and playing. good luck growing the group. sounds awesome.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 09:17:39 AM »
LudiG,

Whenever possible I try to pair new players so they play against each other. Then your role becomes more of a facilitator where you have not stake in the outcome of the match. You can advise, answer questions, and layer on new rules as needed for their pace and style of play. For example, if both players remain in their original corner you can remind them of the goal of the game and suggest aggressive play is needed to win a match.

Enjoy!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 09:51:34 AM »
Or you can suggest that there are other methods besides just super aggressive that can actually bring a way more enjoyable and fulfilling game.