April 20, 2024, 03:35:52 AM

Author Topic: Arena vs Academy?  (Read 3933 times)

kanethebane1913

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Arena vs Academy?
« on: January 30, 2019, 09:54:37 PM »
I have had Academy for 2 months and have all of it's expansions, I've enjoyed it thoroughly, but I want more and that's where arena comes in. I have enough money for Arena and all of it's expansions and I play late at night, so time isn't a problem. I've seen a lot of people say Academy is replacing Arena and that doesn't give me a lot of hope. I want insight to whether I should get Arena or not. I think Academy is to simple and I think many cards from it would benefit the zoned area's. (Also as a Warlord, I don't have any war machines in Academy like in Arena.)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Arena vs Academy?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 04:34:28 AM »
Academy and Arena are quite different games. Academy is quite simple and basic, and competes with dozens of other games that do a similar thing. There's nothing like Arena at all, and it's very good at what it does.

It's definitely worth the step up to Arena, just do it knowing it's a dead game, not a living one now. All your Academy cards are playable (although all a small number are useful) - Arena has more powerful options mostly.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »
In my opinion, Arena is far superior to Academy.

But at this point in time, you should assume that Arena is "complete" - e.g. there may not ever be another new Arena-specific expansion. That said, all the Academy cards work (to varying degrees of competitiveness) in Arena, so as long as Academy exists, there will be at least some new content that you could add to your Arena collection, even if it doesn't have a great value-to-cost ratio (e.g. from a given Academy set, maybe 3 or 4 cards might be worthwhile to play in Arena... but you can experiment with any of them).
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

steack

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • http://magewarsfr.forumactif.org/
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 02:37:30 AM »
 ???

when a game is  dead because they had no more new extensions ?

I you remember , mage wars is not a evolutive card game but a board game .

arcane wonder has producted more of 500 different card for playing , with more of 10 mages . ( and 10 for academy)

If you can't continue to played with that all !! can you explain me what you will making with new extension???

For me academy it s a pleasant game, more simple and  a good introduction for mage wars .

Arena stay my best gameboard , and i  will continue to playing with my litlle french team same if they are no more news  .

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 08:51:46 AM »

I you remember , mage wars is not a evolutive card game but a board game .

I disagree - Mage Wars Arena is an LCG in all but name. And lack of releases has made it stale - hence most players have left it now, at least over here.

I'll always enjoy it, and play it, but it's no longer the game it was, and doesn't deserve the same place in our play time any more.

ThisIsDeutch

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 05:29:40 PM »

I disagree - Mage Wars Arena is an LCG in all but name. And lack of releases has made it stale - hence most players have left it now, at least over here.

Not on the Discord server. Lot more action going on there compared to this old forsaken forum...

???

No, a game is dead when people stop playing it- stopping the release of expansions, when you already have a dwindling player base, is a way to guarantee the death of your game in 5-10 years.

Arena stay my best gameboard , and i  will continue to playing with my litlle french team same if they are no more news  .

Et alors, vous comprenez qu'on n'aura jamais des nouvelles du jeux de Mage Wars.

Le development du jeux est finis. End of story.