April 18, 2024, 07:26:13 PM

Author Topic: Acid Blast (academy, not promo)  (Read 4393 times)

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Acid Blast (academy, not promo)
« on: January 11, 2019, 05:42:38 AM »
Still going through the new academy druid/elementalist cards.

Acid Blast
5 mana for a sweeping 2-dice attack, corrode on a 9+ on the effect die.

That's simple enough.

But what does it mean when it says " When this attack Assigns Effects place an additional Corrode condition on the defender"?

Is it (A): if the defender gets a Corrode (i.e. you roll 9+), it actually gets two Corrodes.
Or is it (B): During the Damage and Effects Step (the arena equivalent to the academy Assigns Effects) the defender gets a Corrode regardless of what was rolled on the effect die
Or is it (C): (just spelling out what "9+ = Corrode" means in the attack bar)

Or is it some fourth option (D)?

Just had an in-game argument about it.
I said it must be (B), since no other academy attack card has the same sort of wording, ruling out (C), and the text is not a conditional (i.e. it says 'when', not 'if') which seems to rule out (A). 
My opponent went for either (A) or (C), on the grounds that (B) would make the card too powerful for the cost.

Does anyone have any insights?
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: Acid Blast (academy, not promo)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 06:10:33 AM »
My guess - it is describing the effect on the Attack bar.

However, it also seems plausible that the intent is to always place one corrode plus a chance for an addtional corrode on 9+. In Arena this would have been shown as

1 - 8    Corrode
9+    2 Corrode

This text might be the equivalent of this probability. Are there examples in Academy where a mutli-lined effect result is used?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:56:35 AM »
If the attack is not avoided, there's an automatic Corrode. Therefore, on a 9+, the target would receive a total of 2 Corrodes.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:05:21 AM »
My guess - it is describing the effect on the Attack bar.

However, it also seems plausible that the intent is to always place one corrode plus a chance for an addtional corrode on 9+. In Arena this would have been shown as

1 - 8    Corrode
9+    2 Corrode

This text might be the equivalent of this probability. Are there examples in Academy where a mutli-lined effect result is used?

The promo version of the card looked as above: e.g. 1 Corrode on 1-8, 2 Corrodes on 9+. However, this would mean that attacking an object with Acid -X (e.g. having Chitin Armor, for example) would provide a possibility of  receiving 0 Corrodes. The officially released Academy card avoids this possibility by guaranteeing at least 1 Corrode, assuming the attack isn't avoided entirely.

In other words, the released version is almost functionally equivalent to the promo version, but actually better against targets with Acid -X.

You can still see the promo version here:
http://www.spellbookbuilder.com/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:08:47 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 03:22:31 PM »
Thanks all.

I had seen the arena promo, but wasn’t sure if the academy card was trying to reimplement it in a different way.

I will have to go thumb my nose at my opponent and say I was right. Would have meant I had a better chance at taking down those two gargoyles. Might have swung the game...
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist