April 28, 2024, 03:08:06 PM

Author Topic: Most Interesting Academy Expansions for Arena?  (Read 3453 times)

Bspace

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Most Interesting Academy Expansions for Arena?
« on: November 20, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
I’m relatively new to Mage Wars (was introduced in September), and after I open the copy of Paladin vs Siren that’s currently waiting on my doorstep, I will have all the current arena content.  I know I’ll want to pick up some academy content next, but I’m not sure where to turn. 

I can’t find any links online that have academy expansion card lists. Can anyone point me to a place I should look. And in your guys’s opinion, which academy expansions best complement or expand arena mages and add different build variety?

Thanks!

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Most Interesting Academy Expansions for Arena?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 09:30:51 PM »
http://www.spellbookbuilder.com. Is a good place to check out what cards are in each set.  Just hit the set u want to look at and it will show u all available cards In that set.

As far as academy sets I suggest pick the mage u are most interested in playing and you pick out that academy set.  I am a fan of all the academy sets and think they provide a lot to each Arena mage.  My favorites are academy warlord, wizard beastmaster Core,  and the new academy Druid set.  Again all are pretty good tho!!!

Also welcome to the community!!! :D
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Bspace

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 11:27:03 PM »
http://www.spellbookbuilder.com. Is a good place to check out what cards are in each set.  Just hit the set u want to look at and it will show u all available cards In that set.

As far as academy sets I suggest pick the mage u are most interested in playing and you pick out that academy set.  I am a fan of all the academy sets and think they provide a lot to each Arena mage.  My favorites are academy warlord, wizard beastmaster Core,  and the new academy Druid set.  Again all are pretty good tho!!!

Also welcome to the community!!! :D

Thanks for the info and the invite. That spellbook is really helpful!

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 06:01:49 AM »
Be sure to get the Lost Grimoire expansion for Arena as well. It was published after Paladin vs. Siren as a stand alone set of cards without additional mages. However, the spells support a range of schools to enhance most of the arena mages.

I don't use Academy sets in Arena so I cannot advise on your original question. Sorry.

Welcome to the Arena!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »
Forcemaster and Warlord are my favorite Academy sets. Priestess and Warlock have some strong cards in them. And I would totally pick up Elementalist if you like Siren at all.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:56:48 AM »
Warlock best!

Fite me!

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 07:21:44 PM »
If you play Forcemasters in Arena you NEED the Academy Forcemaster set. It opens up so much more for that mage than the other Academy sets do for their respective Arena counterparts.

However, they all contain useful things and are well worth getting.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 05:28:35 PM »
Academy Forcemaster very much depends on whether you are a hardcore competitive player, or a someone that enjoys seeing cool stuff (Spike vs Timmy in MtG jargon). Honestly, there is very little in there that's is that good for Arena play - about 3 enchantments that are borderline inclusions, and one piece of equipment for certain builds - certainly none of the creatures. Lost Grimoire certainly adds more. That said, it does open up lots of newdirections for deckbuilding, just mostly sub-optimal ones - that matters in some circles, not in others.

Personally, I'd say Academy core is the most important for Arena in general (Crumble, Disperse and Leather Chausses alone justify it), and Tempered Faulds in Warlord are amazing. Forcemaster and Warlock are weak for Arena, and Priestess is average.