April 29, 2024, 04:09:59 PM

Author Topic: trying something else...  (Read 7295 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
trying something else...
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:40:38 AM »
I see the end of MW (arena) coming and have to find another game to play with my friend...

We tried Adroid netrunner, but it was too chaotic.
We tried Ashes, rise of the phenixborns, but it was a little light.
We tried star wars armada and it's great!!! but we like to play in bars and MW-size is the largest we can afford.
... does somebody have ideas?

we like deckbuilding (but it's not necessary).
we like long games (we play 3-5h MW games, a little less would be great).
we like a lot of strategical choices, a little luck and a rich univers.
we need a game that can be played on a small table (MW is already to large).

all help welcome!

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: trying something else...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 05:44:26 AM »
I don't see an end of MW Arena coming as the current card pool doesn't require new expansions in order to enjoy playing the game.

However, you might consider Incantris https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/198825/incantris as another game option that fits the last two requirements on your list. It offers players a team of spell casters to use in battle and holds 2 to 4 players on a small table.

The new Thunderstone Quest game https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/215341/thunderstone-quest is now available and may be closer to all 4 of your requirements.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 06:47:49 AM »
I don't see an end of MW Arena coming as the current card pool doesn't require new expansions in order to enjoy playing the game.

However, you might consider Incantris https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/198825/incantris as another game option that fits the last two requirements on your list. It offers players a team of spell casters to use in battle and holds 2 to 4 players on a small table.

The new Thunderstone Quest game https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/215341/thunderstone-quest is now available and may be closer to all 4 of your requirements.

my other go to games are netrunner but i dont find anyone to play, it's awesome, try it again it's worth it

other is war of the ring, which has a same feeling

other smaller games i can think of is tash kalar

RobMurray

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 10:38:54 AM »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 08:08:15 PM »
Currently Codex is my go-to dueling game. It's not as grand or deep as Mage Wars, and definitely doesn't take as long, but it is more compact and offers a lot of good tactical choices. The deckbuilding is mostly done in-game as you play rather than between games, which I think is a good thing.

Moving away from attacking each other, if you like coop games I strongly recommend Spirit Island. It hits a lot of your wants. You don't deckbuild, but you do build a hand of cards and customize what you can do during the game. It doesn't take up any more table space than Mage Wars, plays in 2 to 3 hours. And offers a lot of strategic choices in a very rich and thematic universe. Everyone plays as nature spirits trying to get the colonizers off their island. It's a lot of fun.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 08:41:31 PM »
I only have zombicide black plague core but there are enough expansions for variety and the new orc core set works with it too
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Hemlock

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 09:35:08 PM »
For something a little different - I'm currently enjoying Dice Throne.

Lighter than Mage Wars, no deck building, but lots of fun.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 02:03:32 AM »
 :'(
I opened this thread partly to get reactions about arena's survival... well... everibody answered with alternative games...

Thanks!
Codex and Incantris are tempting!
And I still must take a look to Spirit island.

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 07:33:49 AM »
Everyone's like "quick, Exid is leaving, make sure he stays away!!"

On a serious note: Arena is pretty healthy right now. The OCTGN-Discord community is very much alive, even flavoured with the occasional drama, and the German nationals had almost 30 participants.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 11:26:28 AM »
If you stop playing Mage Wars - Mage Wars is dead for you  :'(
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 12:47:08 PM »
Not that I will be playing less Mage Wars anytime soon.  But a game that I have been really interested in playing and trying out is KeyForge.  It is much lighter but I feel the concept fits one of the biggest things I like about Mage Wars is that all you need is the base or core set and you can start playing and play at a competitive level.  Each deck is different and unique.  While there is no deck building I think the variety and styles of play is going to be very interesting, fun, and competitive.  I think it just released here in the U.S.  It maybe out in other countries already prior to today. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 05:46:45 PM »
Well, exid, my second-best-game-ever! is Core Worlds.

Start with a deck of basic units. Draft bigger units into your deck, deploy those units into your attack force, and use that attack force to conquer increasingly valuable planets as the game goes on.

Works very well with two players. Takes about 30 minutes per player. Has deck building/culling and strategic choices ('do I use my energy to draft that card that will be useful later, or to deploy this unit from my hand and take that nice planet over there?'), with a little luck in what cards get drawn onto the tableau.

It is not a patch on Arena or Domination, but a pretty darned good second game.   
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

steack

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • http://magewarsfr.forumactif.org/
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 04:15:17 AM »
Tu connais mon avis exid ^^

i am sure when you ll see the card of elementalist and druid, you come back to magewars ;)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 08:21:18 AM »
Tu connais mon avis exid ^^
i am sure when you ll see the card of elementalist and druid, you come back to magewars ;)

I still have to convince Tchi... but I would let MW sleep on the shelf until Expansion Charming arrives accros the arena to wake it up!

ThisIsDeutch

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »
I thought that the ghosts would be coming back to haunt this place in November- looks like they were only here for 3 weeks  ;)

... does somebody have ideas?

we like deckbuilding (but it's not necessary).
we like long games (we play 3-5h MW games, a little less would be great).
we like a lot of strategical choices, a little luck and a rich univers.
we need a game that can be played on a small table (MW is already to large).

I've got a game in-mind but isn't necessarily a deck builder: you collect cards (items) while searching through various rooms. Actually not a deckbuilder at all  ;D

Nemesis is a game where you have to complete a secret object, while surviving the aliens that have currently invaded the ship you and your crew are on. As you can have conflicting objectives with other players, the gameplay is a lot more interesting than Dead of Winter, and the art as well as optional comic-book gameplay make it one of the most immersive games I've ever played. There is dice and therefore luck, but the core of the game is about keeping the players on their toes while bluffing and possibly even betraying your closest friends  ;)  ;D

It's definitely not a game that's like the other ones mentioned on this thread, but it has its merit. I would recommend you check it out

hahaha okay......