April 18, 2024, 05:30:54 PM

Author Topic: Freeze Conditions  (Read 4707 times)

Parliament

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Freeze Conditions
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:18:36 PM »
I recently played a game of Mage Wars with freeze conditions. It was a really fun game and I was really able to stack the damage because I was casting Beam and Cone of Frost with both my Siren and Naya.

I was not quite sure when they got removed though. Here’s what the Elementalist rulebook said for Freeze:

A creature with Freeze conditions rolls 1 less die on non-spell attacks. At the end of a creature’s activation, remove 1 Freeze condition from them, if possible. Each Freeze condition on a living creature is also considered 2 damage that cannot be healed. If there are ever Freeze conditions on an object with Burn conditions, remove 1 of each. Repeat this process until there are only Freeze or Burn markers remaining. This is a frost condition and has a removal cost of 2. In Arena, Freeze also grants the Lumbering trait to the affected creature.

So from this I know a Freeze condition is removed after a creature’s activation, assuming they don’t have a Deep Freeze on them. However I also noticed that on the Freeze tokens themselves it says:

Freeze: Remove 1 each reset phase (with a 2 in parentheses). So does that mean that in addition to the Freeze that is removed after a creature’s activation is over, there is an additional Freeze that can be removed by the person that controls the creature by paying 2 mana in the reset phase? Please let me know if I understand that correctly or not, thanks.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Freeze Conditions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 09:43:38 PM »
That (2) refers to the removal cost of the condition, in mana.

However, you are not automatically able to pay 2 to remove a marker each upkeep. Certain spells and powers enable you to "remove a condition by paying its removal cost". The Priestess tends to have the most of those powers.   

• Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 12:02:39 AM »
I haven't seen the final tokens, but the text on them is just supposed to remind you of what's in the rulebook. If it seems to contradict the rulebook, then just ignore it. It's not like a card where the card text takes precedence. The text from the rulebook has everything you need to know about the condition.

For reference, I was part of the design team. You should be able to find my name (Ivan Kidd) on the back of the rules that came with it.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »
Confirm with Zuberi. The Freeze condition token is misprinted. The Rulebook has the complete rules for Freeze included just as quoted in the original post.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Parliament

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 04:20:56 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I thought that it was a possible misprint. It just seemed weird for them to have 2 separate ways they remove themselves.