April 25, 2024, 08:15:15 PM

Author Topic: hunting bow & colosssal crab  (Read 3811 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
hunting bow & colosssal crab
« on: October 01, 2018, 05:12:50 AM »
if the crab attacks his prey and makes 0 damages, does the bow get the bonus to the prey since the prey was damaged by the crab's capacity?

(isn't this one funny?)

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: hunting bow & colosssal crab
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »
I think you have to imagine it so, the target is distracted by the crab you can land a better arrow hit.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:24:31 AM »
So is this the situation you're setting up?:

Colossal Crab has already grappled something and done 2 damage during upkeep. The crab then proceeds to attack the creature it has grabbed and does no damage.

And the question is does this activate Hunting Bow?

I actually think that in this situation Hunting Bow would trigger.  I would normally say that the attack has to do damage since that's what "attack and damage" usually means, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't necessitate that the particular attack has to have done damage as long as the creature has both attacked and done damage over the course of the round. An interesting question. I'd love to hear some other thoughts on this.

If the situation your talking about is that the crab attacks, does no damage but still grapples the target then you haven't fulfilled the damage requirement yet and the bow would not get the triggered effect.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 09:40:37 PM »
A devil's advocate counterclaim would be that no, the Hunting Bow would not benefit.

The benefit comes if it is used to attack "an enemy creature that was attacked and damaged by a friendly animal creature"

The Crab's text says merely: "Colossal Crab's prey receives 2 direct damage" in the upkeep phase. Not, you note, that "the Colossal Crab does 2 direct damage to its prey".

So technically speaking it is not specifically stated that the crab is the cause of the damage, merely that the damage occurs. It could be Wrath of God stuff or something.

(I believe that the Bow would benefit based on RAI, but from a strictly RAW view I don't think a case can be made.)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 05:11:21 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

i think that the bow is not meant to get the bonus.
i thougth that as written it would.
... but i think that Arkdeniz reading shut's the case: no bonus!