April 25, 2024, 11:42:16 PM

Author Topic: obscure and vines  (Read 4358 times)

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
obscure and vines
« on: August 23, 2018, 04:33:55 PM »
hello, My opponent have obscure trait (necromancer) and have one vine in the adjacent zone, im 2 zones away, Can i target the vine to make an attack to the necromancer? i have my doubst becouse necro it´s 2 zones away from me but only one from my vine.

Can anyone clarify?

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
Re: obscure and vines
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
Vine markers can only be used to ignore the range of a spell targeting the vines zone, object's in that zone, or bordering that zone. So you cannot use a vine to ignore the range into an adjacent zone.

Hypothetically, if the burst of thorns attack had a 0 - 1 Range then you could since the vine is making the attack and the spell is targeting the vine and not the necromancer. However that's not the case here

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »
I'd really like to hear what spell you are using to give the best answer here. You're talking about two different things that you are targeting. You cannot target the necromancer because of obscured. You can target the vine because it is not obscured. If you are using the vine as the source of your spell then obscured is not your problem as the vine is within one range. However, as Karhaz said, you do have to obey the rules and restrictions involved with using the vine as your source.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 06:12:38 PM »
Vine markers can only be used to ignore the range of a spell targeting the vines zone, object's in that zone, or bordering that zone. So you cannot use a vine to ignore the range into an adjacent zone.

Hypothetically, if the burst of thorns attack had a 0 - 1 Range then you could since the vine is making the attack and the spell is targeting the vine and not the necromancer. However that's not the case here

i was using the new barb of darts (i believe its that name) doblestrike with piercing 2 , i saw their range its 0-1, an i think i could use them to target the necromancer with obscure.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 11:05:25 AM »
The problem here, as Kharhaz stated, is that the rules for using a Vine as the source prevents you from targeting anything outside of the vine's zone (or a wall bordering it). It doesn't matter what the range on the spell is, when you use a vine as the source you are limited to within that vine's zone (or a wall bordering it).

Now, if it's just the Necromancer who has obscured and not the whole zone, you could target a vine in the zone with the Necromancer to attack them.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 11:23:55 AM »
The problem here, as Kharhaz stated, is that the rules for using a Vine as the source prevents you from targeting anything outside of the vine's zone (or a wall bordering it). It doesn't matter what the range on the spell is, when you use a vine as the source you are limited to within that vine's zone (or a wall bordering it).

Now, if it's just the Necromancer who has obscured and not the whole zone, you could target a vine in the zone with the Necromancer to attack them.

The difference between Dense Fog and Cloak of Shadows.