April 27, 2024, 01:52:45 AM

Author Topic: The Mage Wars Community Self-Management Project  (Read 10128 times)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Mage Wars Community Self-Management Project
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 04:43:43 PM »
[/img]
Finally, a member of this community has stepped up and proposed something to make the game better and more interesting, and the fact is that Arcane Wonders has shown that they're not going to do anything about it, so it's up to the community to make things right. You can wait all you want for Arcane Wonders to 'relinquish' the game to the community, but most of us are tired of sitting here while the company does nothing, and frankly I find it a bit ridiculous that you are clinging to Arcane Wonders when they have been almost non-existent with the community and haven't done anything to make things better.

That's great you see it as a positive development - I don't. Stagnation is not the worst situation (but yes it's bad).

ThisIsDeutch

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
[/img]
Finally, a member of this community has stepped up and proposed something to make the game better and more interesting, and the fact is that Arcane Wonders has shown that they're not going to do anything about it, so it's up to the community to make things right. You can wait all you want for Arcane Wonders to 'relinquish' the game to the community, but most of us are tired of sitting here while the company does nothing, and frankly I find it a bit ridiculous that you are clinging to Arcane Wonders when they have been almost non-existent with the community and haven't done anything to make things better.

That's great you see it as a positive development - I don't. Stagnation is not the worst situation (but yes it's bad).

Let people do what they want to do- you think community game management is bad, then move on- there are a lot of great games released nowadays that are a lot better. Let people who enjoy the game continue on enjoying it.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 06:53:19 AM »
Let people do what they want to do- you think community game management is bad, then move on- there are a lot of great games released nowadays that are a lot better. Let people who enjoy the game continue on enjoying it.

You misunderstand me - I DO enjoy the game as it is now, and play regularly. However voicing my opinion is important, because fracturing teh community even further will reduce my playerbase (and thus enjoyment in future.

You are absolutely entitled to voice your support for this, as am I to do the reverse...

ThisIsDeutch

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 08:19:17 AM »

However voicing my opinion is important, because fracturing teh community even further will reduce my playerbase (and thus enjoyment in future.

So there is a strong playerbase that doesn’t follow this forum, nor do they follow Arcane Wonders on social media- these people honestly couldn’t care less about a rule change and community management, because in the end they play other games to occupy their time, and have a more varied set of games on their shelves.

That leaves a small minority of individuals who follow this community management initiative, and who wish to speak about it. I’m not sure how many people attend a single tournament on average these days, but let’s suppose that there is an average of 40 people: this means that out of the 40 people, 10 of them would be upset about a rule change and have problems the way the tournament is run. You’re saying that this would fracture the playerbase, even though the interested number of players is so small that a change of rules would only make a few people upset - this is not a problem in the grand scheme of things.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 09:56:08 AM »
this is not a problem in the grand scheme of things.

For you. I'm entitled to feel differently.

But this conversation is going nowhere. We have different opinions, and that's fine.

ThisIsDeutch

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 08:50:51 AM »
this is not a problem in the grand scheme of things.

For you. I'm entitled to feel differently.

But this conversation is going nowhere. We have different opinions, and that's fine.

If you think that 5 people on this forum being unhappy is going to ruin the community then fine- that is your opinion, but in the end you are making a big deal out of nothing: most of the playerbase simply won’t care about community management.

And heck, look at the bright side: if people refuse to continue playing Mage Wars, they can start playing other board games and they can expand their board game shelves to include more then just 1 game.

KissBlade

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 12:56:41 AM »
Barely play the game anymore. Just popped in because I was browsing something to fill a min shipping order but from a very casual player feedback who's trying to get it on the table when a friend comes over: the main issue is that when I make a spellbook for someone, the rules explanation itself take 30 minutes (at least) and then they have to read 20-30 different cards (all of which are very different from each other) before they can make their first move ...

I've been trying to make simpler and simpler decks such as nothing but basic stats line creatures and stats buffs/debuffs/movements but even then it's a slog to get in a game.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 06:54:18 AM »
Barely play the game anymore. Just popped in because I was browsing something to fill a min shipping order but from a very casual player feedback who's trying to get it on the table when a friend comes over: the main issue is that when I make a spellbook for someone, the rules explanation itself take 30 minutes (at least) and then they have to read 20-30 different cards (all of which are very different from each other) before they can make their first move ...

I've been trying to make simpler and simpler decks such as nothing but basic stats line creatures and stats buffs/debuffs/movements but even then it's a slog to get in a game.
Some tips for teaching new players.

I use the Core Set apprentice mode to teach the game to newcomers. The arena is smaller and spellbooks are smaller (around 60 spellpoints). The books don't use the Conjuration spell type and don't involve several of the more complex creature traits. You can find a scaled down version of the Codex here https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/120066/mage-wars-apprentice-codex-2015 to simplify looking up keywords using this mode of play. New players can also find these apprentice books online at the Arcane Wonders resources page so they can read them before a game session if they want.

When teaching the game, I start with the victory condition, an explanation of the mage status chart, and then start playing the game with the initiative phase. I provide a brief statement for each phase of the ready stage until we get to Planning. Here I explain the anatomy of a spell card using one of each of the 5 spell types as an example. Describing the casting line from left to right works best as a starting point. The casting line has common elements among 4 spell types in Apprentice mode with some additional details needed for the Enchantment spells. I always recommend a creature and piece of equipment for the first turn and remind players that spells you decide not to cast will go back in your book. i.e. you don't lose a spell if you plan and then don't cast it.

At the start of the Action Stage I explain each of the 4 core actions in the game and then address more specific rules as they arise rather than try to explain them all up front before beginning the game. Players are usually fine with this approach as long as you explain what you are doing. I often follow up my moves in a teaching game with my reason for the move so the new player can learn while we play.

I can share additional tips if you want. Just send me a private message here or on the BGG site.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 05:16:42 AM »
I would love to be apart of this. Better then talking about how nothing is being done. For all we know something may come from this, if not then at least we have some house rules to play with.