April 19, 2024, 07:43:13 PM

Author Topic: World Boardgaming Championship (WBC) Arena Tournament - 2018  (Read 4845 times)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
The WBC tournament event has a final schedule posted.

https://www.boardgamers.org/wbc18/previews/mgw.html

Whether you are a newcomer or a veteran looking to re-live your nostalgic Core Only days stop by and join us in the Arena!

I will be there for the full 9 days of the convention and open gaming runs 24x7 for anyone interested in casual play of Arena with or without Battlegrounds.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: World Boardgaming Championship (WBC) Arena Tournament - 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 06:32:10 AM »
Hope to meet some new Mage Wars players at the WBC convention in Seven Springs Resort, PA starting this weekend through July 29.

We have about 20 regular players attend the tournament event each year and about 50-60 participants attending the demo sessions. This year will have additional demo events that feature the Advanced rules taught on separate days.

I hope to get in some multiplayer Domination play as well with the Siren. I think her style of play might do well in the Domination format.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »
Wow you guys have a lot of people out there! I wish I could go <3
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 04:38:54 PM »
As I said last year: From one "big con" event runner to another, good luck to you sir! May your event be successful and your battles truly epic.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 05:43:19 PM »
Thanks guys!

This is year 4 for the event and we have not had the same person repeat as a winner yet. We will see if this is the first year for a repeat winner.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 08:39:24 AM »
Chris Byrd repeated as WBC Champion with his Beastmaster. Congratulations Chris! He is now 8-1 over two years of play.

The tournament report for 2018 is posted here https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2053313/wbc-2018-mage-wars-arena-tournament-report.

We had a drop in attendance this year so we are eliminating the Apprentice mode and Core Set only format and will be using all Arena expansions next year.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:35:50 AM by wtcannonjr »

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 08:52:47 AM »
Hall of Champions covering 2015 - 2018 for the WBC Arena tournament is located on BGG here https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/168629/hall-champions-wbc-tournament-events-2015-2108