March 28, 2024, 06:38:00 PM

Author Topic: Any way to protect a flying creature?  (Read 10861 times)

Iudicium86

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Any way to protect a flying creature?
« on: May 08, 2018, 06:39:58 AM »
For example, Cassiel is mega fragile. I've seen her go down very quickly, sometimes as soon as very next turn after being summoned, getting hit by a huge range attack such as thunderbolt or meteor from 3 range, or an air attack that gains bonus against flying, then pushes Cassiel into arena wall for that +3 dice bash attack on top of the 4+ die rolled for the wind attack.

I thought "Oh Guardian Angel has Intercept + a Defense roll". But of course, one second later hits "Flying lose flying until not guarding at all anymore, so no Intercept on Cassiel's behalf"  :(
Seriously, I think Cassiel is legit hindered by the Flying trait. It's way more a liability than bonus for her with her low HP and zero armor.
Ultra fragile, and an in-the-air target for everyone and their mother with no possible layers to at least get through first.

So is there anything that be done to protect fragile flyers other than stacking multiple +armors and defense enchantments on them like they're your main Aggro Mage or Aggro Buddy (but not)? Because that's a waste of actions and mana to protect something that's not front-line.
You would think a flying creature that chooses a guard action, could defend both sorts equally. Guard on ground as default, but can also guard a fellow flyer by swooping up quick for the attack.

I am close to just eating up the Spellbook Points and inserting a Main Wings curse, just to put it on Cassiel to ground her just to allow basic protection options such as Guarding with Intercept-capable creatures. Would be a better mana and action investment than Cassiel+Rhino Hide+Cobra Reflexes+Bull Endurance+more.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to protect a flying creature?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:29:20 AM »
You are correct... guarding with intercept doesn’t work. Either let them spend more mana and maybe actions on attacks against your fliers, or enchant them.

I had suggested a kind of “patrol” trait in the past... guarding only flying creatures... but that doesn’t seem to have gotten any notice.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 07:39:25 AM »
Dodge, Block, Brace Yourself, and Reverse Attack

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:19:56 AM »
Flyers are difficult to protect but things like Blur, Divine Reversal, and Redirect can get it done for cheap.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »
It's a wasted turn and spell but have her guard and then tanglevine her.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 10:23:23 AM »
Agreed with everything said here.  For the Cassiel case in particular she can protect herself without your mage's actions.  Give her Glancing Blow, Divine Reversal or Healing Charm and she can cast it on herself.  It keeps  her around long enough to eat a meteor and survive that's a huge win.

Honestly, though, if your opponent is throwing a Meteor or a Thunderbolt at her you win that trade.  Just don't make losing Cassiel cripple you.  Also the absolute best way to protect her from range 3 garbage is Blur as Grizzly just said.

Additionally, she is practically immune to all water attack spells due to flying and cannot be tanglevined or stranglefined or killed by typical swarms.  Flying is really good.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 05:18:52 PM »
You could try Gravikor to keep her out of the sky, but it would impact your Angels/Griffins as well until the were out of range.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 11:31:17 PM »
I considered using [mwcard=MW1E25]Maim Wings[/mwcard] for [mwcard=MW1C13]Fellella, Pixie Familiar[/mwcard].

I think you could wait until they target Cassiel/[mwcard=MW1C13]Fellella, Pixie Familiar[/mwcard] then reveal [mwcard=MW1E25]Maim Wings[/mwcard].

If you have a [mwcard=MW1Q19]Mage Wand[/mwcard] you could use [mwcard=MW1I25]Shift Enchantment[/mwcard] and put [mwcard=MW1E25]Maim Wings[/mwcard] on your mage when you need Cassiel/[mwcard=MW1C13]Fellella, Pixie Familiar[/mwcard] flying again.

[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard] would work as well.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:35:56 PM by Biblofilter »
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 06:42:44 PM »
would have to check, but I don't think maim can target a mage, but could be wrong. I think everyone is missing the very simple answer here. just put in a second cassiel.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »
Yes it can. Targets a creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 09:11:08 AM »
I find it interesting that you can't give a creature flying (through Eagle Wings, or whatever it is) in the middle of an action, but can reveal Maim Wings in the middle of one. Am I mistaken?

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 11:25:55 AM »
Yes it can. Targets a creature.

[mwcard=MW1E25]Maim Wings[/mwcard] targets a Corporeal Creature, actually.

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 06:12:12 PM »
I find it interesting that you can't give a creature flying (through Eagle Wings, or whatever it is) in the middle of an action, but can reveal Maim Wings in the middle of one. Am I mistaken?

Now I wonder about this idea of using Maim Wings to counter an attack on a Flying Creature, as mentioned earlier. I just re-read this:

"A creature cannot gain or lose the Flying trait in the middle of an attack action."

I presume that this can mean any creature's attack action. If so, then the Maim Wings spell is unable to be revealed until after the creature has been attacked.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
Maim Wings and Eagle Wings can both be revealed during an attack, they just won't have any affect until the attack is finished. Which is kind of splitting hairs, it would be much easier to say they can't be revealed until the attack is finished, but if someone screws up and does reveal during an attack, they haven't really broken any rules or suffer any repercussions, they just have to wait till the end of the attack before the enchantment actually takes affect.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 01:27:21 AM »
But is a spell an attack action?

"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever