April 27, 2024, 07:55:43 AM

Author Topic: Questions about OCTGN meta  (Read 12648 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Questions about OCTGN meta
« on: April 29, 2018, 11:43:15 AM »
Hi. Are there any strategies that are viable against a good druid player besides tanking or killing her creatures? And do any such strategies exist which only use two creatures?

I have been having a lot of trouble getting more aggressive decks to work against druid.

Perhaps coincidentally I've also noticed that the OCTGN meta usually tends to use longer game strategies, it seems like nearly every competitive deck I encounter on there uses wands, and nearly everything either uses a spawnpoint or has at least 3-4 creatures.

I'm getting really bored of this and I want more variety, but every time I try to make a deck that doesn't use at least 3-4 creatures or doesn't use a spawnpoint, it fails miserably.

Help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about OCTGN meta
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 06:24:07 PM »
Well Druid is tuff to kill. Killing her fast might be easier than trying to go for a longer game vs her.

I think Grimbart did a pretty good job with the Ehren, Mhgeeden and Grimson.
An old school FM with some durable creatures like Necropian Vampire and Grizzly might still work.

You could you any mage with a strategy like that i guess.

Equipment Warlord wouldnt be a bad choice, even if thats what your trying to avoid.
BF 3-4 creatures, wands and Balista.

BF is pretty good and easy to use.

With the Druid id expect Vine Tree 4 Thornlashers, 4+ other plant creatures and ~ 4 other creatures including a Grizzly or two. Its hard to kill all that.

Both Warlocks should be ok if they have curses and or attack spells and a few durable creatures.

Druids often go unarmored or really low on armor early because they heal so well.
So a few curses and attack spells or WoT or a few good creatures and then 6 poison blood and Deathlock might just do it.

Still im a Druid player and id likely rather be the Druid than the opponent.
But i like long games and don´t get bored easily :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 06:35:50 PM »
Hi. Are there any strategies that are viable against a good druid player besides tanking or killing her creatures? And do any such strategies exist which only use two creatures?

I have been having a lot of trouble getting more aggressive decks to work against druid.

Perhaps coincidentally I've also noticed that the OCTGN meta usually tends to use longer game strategies, it seems like nearly every competitive deck I encounter on there uses wands, and nearly everything either uses a spawnpoint or has at least 3-4 creatures.

I'm getting really bored of this and I want more variety, but every time I try to make a deck that doesn't use at least 3-4 creatures or doesn't use a spawnpoint, it fails miserably.

Help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I'd watch players like Sharkbait to learn how they operate without using a creature spawnpoint. Especially since playing such books yourself doesn't seem to worked out how you would have liked.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 07:17:50 PM »
SIX poisoned bloods and a deathlock? I don't think I've ever seen any competitive warlocks who used that many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 08:06:27 PM »
SIX poisoned bloods and a deathlock? I don't think I've ever seen any competitive warlocks who used that many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

It should be enough :)
Steal life?

Your talking about a mage with only 2 creatures and no spawnpoint.
Spending 8 spellbook points on 6PB + Deathlock should be possible.

I would only do it if i "knew" my opponent was going to play Druid or a holy mage.

2PB most likely wont be enough.

But i would still use BF with a curse Warlock.
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 08:32:08 AM »
There's a lot of affordable FIRE these days... Unstable Fire Imp + Lesser Teleport is ~3SBP(4 if holy) and wrecks Sim-City Druid hard OR forces them into a reposition-game they might not be good at.

If you're playing Wizard, you can pop your Unstable Fire Imp with ease using your ranged poke after the Imp has made a melee attack. Followed up with more FIRE.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »
There's a lot of affordable FIRE these days... Unstable Fire Imp + Lesser Teleport is ~3SBP(4 if holy) and wrecks Sim-City Druid hard OR forces them into a reposition-game they might not be good at.

If you're playing Wizard, you can pop your Unstable Fire Imp with ease using your ranged poke after the Imp has made a melee attack. Followed up with more FIRE.

I'm not sure how it wrecks druids. Could you elaborate? Lesser teleport seems an odd choice as a tactic here.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 12:48:50 PM »
 There sadly isnt enough umph In an unstable fire imp, even if you do port it in. I too am a bit curious as to what you mean by that. Also, fire doesn't work as well as you might think, especially not small fire spells that roll small dice. The regen and high life totals om most plants make that a tough exchange.
I love this game. Its awesome!

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »
Like everything in Mage Wars, my single tactic of a FastBombImp is but one piece of the puzzle. Meant to quickly and near-automatically put a BURN token on every plant in the zone. I play Druid a lot locally and learned quickly not to put all my plants in one basket, yet on OCTGN I hear of druids with 4 plants in the same zone.

1. Imp gets budget BURNS started.
2. Firestream is more budget BURNS.
3. IMP + Double Firestream is still cheaper than 4 plants/flowers.

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 02:30:38 PM »

I'm not sure how it wrecks druids. Could you elaborate? Lesser teleport seems an odd choice as a tactic here.

It doesn't wreck all Druids, but it wrecks careless, "Sim City" Druids. That wanna play solitaire with their over-watering.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 04:17:14 PM »
Plants and lesser teleport works fine :)
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »
Sorry I am still having problems. Maybe i should try it out. Are druids killing your imps and you get a 3+ burn chance on a ton of plants. I just dont see why it's worth the 2 sbps out of school or even 1.
It just seems like a ring of fire would be double the points of the imp but you get 7 dice and a decent burn chance on top of it, while the imp is just a burn
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:21:53 PM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »
I'm missing what you mean by sim city druids. I'm not trying to be mean honestly I'm just missing the metaphor. Burn tokens at best mitigate most plants built in regen. I'm having a tough time seeing what kind of creatures they are stacking in zone that AREN'T manning that zone extremely dangerous.
I love this game. Its awesome!

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 08:13:31 AM »
"Sim City" druid/mage == multiple trees/spawnpoints, many seed-pods/mana batteries, building an engine in a vacuum.

Point being, if you use Lesser Teleport (2) to cram explosive imps at a super-turtle and you follow-up with cheap Firestreams, you make it a really bad day for a Druid who just wants 3 seed-pods and Samara Tree in D2.

I'm not saying you're guaranteed a Win, Im just saying cheap Fire and cheap Teleport(lesser) IS the answer to Turtle druid. Deny them a comfort zone. Throw Imps in from Range 3 (sprint plus Lesser Teleport). Force a Druid to start summoning Tegu and you're taking precious mana away from the Vine Tree's projection.   

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 08:15:43 AM »
by "cheap fire" I mean spellbookpoints (Combustoid(Imp) and Firestream). Fire that can go in every deck, including Nature's premium on Fire.