April 29, 2024, 04:14:03 AM

Author Topic: forum name  (Read 8398 times)

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
forum name
« on: April 20, 2018, 09:49:16 AM »
I thought this would be an interesting topic.

we have had a lot of new members recently, which is awesome. together with many of us who have been here for a long while, thought it would be cool to see if folks would give some history or info about how they chose their forum name here.

mine comes from the fact that in my second tournament, gencon 2013, we had to register our book and as part of that, we had to name our book. I was playing an air wizard for that event, and came up with zot for all of the zapping and lightning bolting/blasting things I planned on doing. I joined the forum shortly after that event so stuck with that as my forum name.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: forum name
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:12:58 PM »
good idea.  mine is fairly simple. It is my last name.  the number 1 refers to being number 1...hehe. 

honestly tho it was just my university assigned name using my last name when i went to school. and since i was the only farkas it had me at farkas1.  Also back when i was younger friends just called me farkas as a nickname. 

interesting trivia tho apparently in Hungary it is like the name Smith.  Very common last name.  It also means wolf in Hungarian.  Hence my preference my favorite school nature and favorite creature timber wolf. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »
cool. and your icon avatar on discord.

so perhaps the origin for the bad wolf thread in dr who?  ...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:57:10 PM by zot »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 01:06:03 PM »
It's pretty simple. I played my first game ever then went to go sign up for the forum. I like bears personally. I'm a large hairy creature that likes to eat and take naps. I'm slow moving when I wake up and am super protective of the young people under me.

I meant to name myself after the creature that won me my first match but forgot it's name. So I've been a silver clawed grizzly instead of a steel clawed on ever since. Now I go to cons and people just call me "Grizz." Hopefully I can convince AW to let me help design an actual Silverclaw Grizzly card.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »
Romeoxero is my gamer tag. Has been forever. Im an actor (not currently acting anywhere, big surprise) and Shakespeare was one of my niches. One of my favorite plays is Romeo and Juliet but not for the titular characters, but for Merctuio (whom i did get to play in Scotland at the fringe festival. Great time with a great show but that's a tale for another day). However in my youth i didn't think anyone would understand the reference and Merctuio was often too long for submissions for tags (back in those days) so i defaulted to Romeo. That became popular though with folks who likely were styling themselves as an online Casanovas. As a result i was often forced to alter my chosen name. So frequently in fact that i decided to rebrand it entirely and add my "numeral" to the end of the name as the new RomeoXero was never unavailable.  It's entirely coincedence that i eventually ended up polyamorous with 3 girlfriends.

Tldr: i like Shakespeare but my fav character is obscure.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 06:05:43 PM »
I likely am a total thief, but Reddicediaries is the name of one of my favorite channels on youtube. Extremely high quality RPG live plays and reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtzz23rP3MVm3MmS2uDlvsA
The Phoenix shall rise.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 09:46:30 PM »
Mine is my name. For what it is worth, I usually call my tournament books something like “yet another spellbook that won’t win.”
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 11:05:59 PM »
Mine is the surname I used for a family of wizards I played in a long-span D&D campaign back in my teenage years.

Redrew the map of Greyhawk, that game did. :)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:37:27 PM »
An anagram (Exid Fradnev, with the last name) I use since high scool!

Jeffman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 03:50:04 AM »
Mine is simply the first 4 letters of my first name and the first 3 letters of my surname

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 04:47:47 AM »
good thread, fun to read !

Eh, im not sure ,i use it for many years, probably i was an edgy teen liking the grim reaper, and just made a variant that uses strings instead, like the three moirai, atropos cutting the threads of life,so just a fuse

buut i like it since in ever get  "this username is in use" unless i have already registered and forgot about it, heh

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 05:54:28 AM »
I used to play WoW and had lots of different characters with different names. I used the website behindthename.com to name these characters (and many D&D characters before/since). The one that ended up being my main was a troll shaman that I named Zuberi.

Anyways, I grew accustomed to being called Zuberi or Zub or ZubZub, both online and in real life (as lots of real life friends played WoW also) so I just started using it as my default online persona. You'd be surprised how often it's already taken though, so you'll also see me use Zub3ri or Zuberii as alternatives.

Quote from: RomeoXero
It's entirely coincedence that i eventually ended up polyamorous with 3 girlfriends.

High five for polyamory. I have two spouses so I always have a gaming group without ever having to leave the house, lol.

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 06:33:15 AM »
I've been writing (or rather not writing...) a fantasy story for like 9 years now, continuously scrapping versions, rewriting stuff, losing interest, coming back to it and rewriting it again.

Through all this time, the pivotal character in the story has been Sir Jason Crage. Or rather, with how the story has transformed, Lord Jason Crage.

And that's just it. I fell in love with my own creation. The name just suddenly popped up in my head when I first started writing and I've been using it on the interwebs ever since. If you ever encounter that name: That's me.

Or, if you encounter it in the far far, very far future, it might just mean that I've finally released the damn book and got fans now.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »
Sailor Vulcan. Sailor moon is an anime superhero and Vulcan is a planet from star trek whose denizens are known for being "rational". I like anime, want to be a hero, and I highly value rationality. I would have picked a better example of rationality than Vulcans, but unfortunately there aren't many if any examples of actually rational characters that anyone would be likely to recognize. Any truly rational person would recognize that Spock *isn't*. He really isn't.

I'm considering changing my username to something else. Maybe something like "Bayes-Rool" or "Apprentice of the Art of Not Shooting Yourself in the Foot" or "Hero-in-training" or "Envoy of Sanity" or "that Nagging Whispering Doubt" Maybe TNWD for short. or "TellstheTruth".

Or I could go with a joke username of some kind like "Simon says" or "Liar" or "Iamabot".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 09:06:48 PM »
Once upon a time, I was working on a PhD in chemical physics, studying electronic properties of nanoparticles and nanostructures. Around that time, the iPod Nano came out, and I thought the username iNano sounded fun despite having never owned an Apple product.

Since then, I've completed my PhD, no longer work in nanotech (although I'm still a scientist with some degree of association to chemistry and physics), and own an iPhone ("sacrilege!") - and I've continued to use the handle (among others) on a variety of internet forums and such.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster