April 24, 2024, 04:11:31 PM

Author Topic: Card Organization  (Read 4030 times)

ajbloomie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Card Organization
« on: February 25, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »
Hi all,

I'm undertaking a big project to organize all my cards by set and type. This is a bit challenging because even the official card lists on the site have mistakes, and I want them in a sortable spreadsheet, anyway.

In sorting by set, I'm using card codes, but came across a weird inconsistency I can't follow. It appears both "BD" and "BG" were used interchangeably on the Battlegrounds: Domination cards. Can anyone help me understand how these codes work??

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: Card Organization
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 07:28:44 AM »
I don't have the answer to your coding question, but you can find a spreadsheet with much of this information already done at BGG. Here is the link - https://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/wt8848ktuk/Mage_Wars_Card_List-October_2017.xlsx

You can modify from this version. I started to add the Card ID information, but have not completed this step.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

ajbloomie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 11:55:47 PM »
Thanks! At least, that will show me how it should be, by set, regardless of coding. It is odd,  though. Would be curious to hear from AW on it.

If anyone was curious, the codes usually follow a rubric: MW leads for Mage Wars, followed by a set identifier (e.g. AWD for Academy Warlord expansion), followed by a letter code for card type (e.g. Q for equipment) and a number. This is on the bottom of every card, including promos. So the Commander's Cape from the Academy Warlord expansion would be MWAWDQ01. Useful for sorting, organizing, and helps you confirm you have everything you are supposed to have in a box, because they are ordered.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 05:24:16 AM »
Just curious... but why are you interested in sorting it like this?

Personally i sort it alphabetically within the 6 spell types (conjurations, incantations , enchantments, creatures, attack spells, equipment).

Anything else i tried out proved to be a pain to get the cards into a spellbook (and i would use the OCTGN spellbook builder - so i need to find the cards).

ajbloomie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 09:19:06 PM »
It's not actually different than alphabetical by type, except I've also organized by set, too. Two reasons for this:

1) I almost never play with my physical cards. Maybe once a year, if that? Right now, the cards are really my collection, and I like them organized by release just out of personal preference.

2) When I do play live, I'm often playing with new people for the first time, or at least inexperienced players. It's much easier to introduce and explore the meta as the game was released. It's much easier to introduce the cards in blocks, and each expansion has it's own sort of balance as the game developed.

ajbloomie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »
Hey Tom,

I'm working to fill out Card IDs in your sheet. I'll send you what I have when I'm done.

I'm also verifying card counts for all the expansions I have. So far, I've noticed a few discrepancies in the Core Set. I'm wondering if different releases changed a few card counts here and there. I thought I had the 2015 release, but maybe I have one release earlier? I can't figure out how to tell which release I have, though, since the rulebook didn't change with some of them.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 05:33:05 AM »
Hi AJ,

Thanks for the assist. I will update the file on BGG and add your name as contributor once you send my way. email is wtcannonjr@gmail.com.

You are correct. The card count changed in the different editions of the Core Set. I believe I was using the 4th Edition card list from the AW website as my source. This was the first Core Set printing to use the smaller square box rather than the larger rectangle one. The 4th edition rulebook is the first one to contain detailed steps under the Movement action and has the Movement action step summary on the back page of the printed book.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

ajbloomie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 07:04:27 PM »
Awesome, thanks. I'll fill out my edition, which appears to be the First Edition (Third Printing), the last of the large form factor boxes. You'll then also have a separate column for at least that edition to add to your sheet.

Also note I found a few errors the last time I tried to reconcile some of the expansions to the AW card lists. If they haven't fixed them yet and found their way onto your sheets, I'll call those out, too. I have pretty much every product released for MW except for some of the old and new editions of the core set, and some of the promos.