April 29, 2024, 11:30:03 AM

Author Topic: reanimate and summoning circle  (Read 3543 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
reanimate and summoning circle
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:48:53 PM »
circle: "when you summon"
reanimate: "the creature is sumoned"

can i reanimate the creature on the circle's zone?

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Re: reanimate and summoning circle
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:10:58 PM »
The Codex clearly states that the reanimating creature is taken from the discard pile and placed face down in the zone it was destroyed in, and then turned face up and summoned back into play at the end of the round.

So I would say no, the Summoning Circle is not an option.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 03:07:37 PM »
I would say it depends on which spell you're using.

Eternal Servant or Rise Again I would say you do not get the choice due to the wording on Reanimate, just as Arkdeniz says.

However, with Animate Dead, you are told to summon it into your own zone and Summoning Circle specifically says that you have another option anytime you would summon to your own zone you can summon to the Circle's zone instead.

So my ruling would be the only way to reanimate to Summoning Circle is through the Animate Dead spell.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 03:38:50 PM »
Ooh. Good catch. I hadn't picked up the different wording on the two spells.

It is a little pity that you can't keep track of where the bodies lie on the arena floor, and animate them from where they lie. It would be a nice trick to catch the enemy unaware, having a zombie suddenly stand up in their zone.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 12:43:23 AM »
I'm not convinced by your arguments:

the circle says you can summon the creature in it's zone, and the reanimated creature is summoned (whatever spell you use).
the only problem is that when you reanimate (whatever spell you use) it's not clearly YOU who summon (the creature "is summoned").

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 02:10:21 AM »

the only problem is that when you reanimate (whatever spell you use) it's not clearly YOU who summon (the creature "is summoned").

It is indeed very clear!

Summon is a key word in MageWars and is simply the act of bringing a creature into the arena; to quote the codex:

Summon (Game Term)
Summoning is the act of bringing a creature into play and placing it in the arena. Usually this occurs when a creature spell has been cast and successfully resolves. Some spells or abilities, such as Reanimate, Ziggurat of Undeath, or Eternal Servant, enable a Mage to Summon a creature in a different manner other than casting the spell.

All these instances a clearly laid out in the wording of summon.

Which means that, for example, an Eternal Servant can 100% be brought up into a zone with summoning circle. And the reanimate creature is palced face down in a zone, but can when summoned via the trait, be placed in the zone with a summoning circle regardless of range.

#DoubleDragon

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 02:36:12 AM »
+1
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:11:52 AM »
I'm not convinced by your arguments:

the circle says you can summon the creature in it's zone, and the reanimated creature is summoned (whatever spell you use).

Quote from: Complete Codex entry for Reanimate
Note that, unless it says otherwise, the Mage who controls the effect which grants Reanimation is the object summoning the creature into play.

There's a lot here that seems unclear to people, but this shouldn't be. The mage is definitely the object doing the summoning when they reanimate a creature. I also recommend reading the Supplement regarding Reanimate as it has a little more detail on the whole process.

To the initial question, RAW I agree with Puddinhead. Precise wording matters. Summoning Circle says explicitly that your Mage may choose to summon the creature to Summoning Circle's zone INSTEAD OF their own zone. The card only says it's able to redirect from the Mage's zone, not from elsewhere, and we can't give it powers it doesn't have.

That does mean it has some weird wiggle room though, which I'm not really a fan of. Technically it then CAN work with Reanimate effects, so long as the zone that the creature is getting reanimated into is also where the controlling mage is at. I don't really understand why that should matter, but as written that is how it would work. It then fulfills all of the requirements of Summoning Circle. Your mage is summoning it. Check. It is a friendly creature. Check. It is being redirected from your mages zone to the Summoning Circle. Check. Summoning circle doesn't care about the restrictions that other spells have, or the fact that they could have been outside of the Mage's own zone. What matters is where they were actually going to be summoned to. I'm not sure why that matters, but RAW it does. We can argue RAI till we're blue in the face.

Hopefully this answer equally disappoints/upsets everyone, lol.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 07:03:12 AM »
supplement very clear about who summons when reanimates.

puddnhead's argument very clear now.

circle only when in the mage's zone very strange...

thanks!