April 19, 2024, 12:47:45 AM

Author Topic: Johktari Beastmaster - The Shark Tank 7  (Read 4237 times)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Johktari Beastmaster - The Shark Tank 7
« on: February 04, 2018, 03:50:20 AM »
Hi everyone,

This is the book I used in The Shark Tank 7.

A Mage Wars Spellbook, built using the OCTGN SBB 2/4/2018 4:48 AM

Spellbook points: 120 used of 120 allowed

Key: Quantity - Spell Name - Spell Level - Spellbook Cost - Total Spellbook Cost

Johktari Beastmaster
Johktari Beastmaster Stats

---  Attack  ---
2 - Acid Ball - 1 - 2 - 4
1 - Hurl Meteorite - 3 - 6 - 6
3 - Hurl Rock - 1 - 2 - 6
2 - Hurl Boulder - 2 - 4 - 8

---  Conjuration  ---
1 - Lair - 4 - 4 - 4
1 - Mana Flower - 1 - 1 - 1
2 - Tanglevine - 1 - 1 - 2

---  Creature  ---
1 - Cervere, The Forest Shadow - 4 - 4 - 4
4 - Thunderift Falcon - 1 - 1 - 4
2 - Darkfenne Asp - 1 - 1 - 2
2 - Timber Wolf - 2 - 2 - 4
1 - Mountain Ram - 2 - 2 - 2
1 - Spitting Raptor - 3 - 3 - 3
1 - Steelclaw Grizzly - 4 - 4 - 4

---  Enchantment  ---
2 - Lion Savagery - 1 - 1 - 2
2 - Bear Strength - 1 - 1 - 2
2 - Regrowth - 1 - 1 - 2
2 - Brace Yourself - 1 - 1 - 2
2 - Falcon Precision - 1 - 1 - 2
1 - Hawkeye - 1 - 1 - 1

---  Equipment  ---
1 - Ivarium Longbow - 2 - 4 - 4
3 - Chitin Armor - 1 - 1 - 3
2 - Kajarah - 1 - 1 - 2
1 - Hunting Spear - 2 - 2 - 2

---  Incantation  ---
1 - Purge Magic - 3 - 6 - 6
1 - Dispel - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Seeking Dispel - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Remove Curse - 1 - 2 - 2
3 - Dissolve - 1 - 2 - 6
1 - Mending Wave - 1 - 2 - 2
2 - Minor Heal - 1 - 2 - 4
1 - Heal - 2 - 4 - 4
2 - Teleport - 2 - 4 - 8
2 - Lesser Teleport - 1 - 1 - 2
2 - Force Push - 1 - 2 - 4
2 - Rouse the Beast - 1 - 1 - 2

The original idea was to use the bow to put damage onto my enemy's creatures while pumping out creatures from the lair. Using Wounded Prey, I can get control of the game through creature advantage. This particular version is a mixture of books for me. My GenCon book was less about the bow and the enchantments than this book is, and i think the lack of focus showed a bit. Either way, ideas are always welcome!
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Johktari Beastmaster - The Shark Tank 7
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 08:11:38 AM »
I really like Johktari :)

For some reason i havnt really used Kajarah and Hunting Spear much. But im going to.

I think your really missing Mongoose Agility.
Mobility and fast should be the focus of this book i think.

I would get rid of Ivarium Longbow and Hurl Meteriote. Both are nice, but they both require you to stand still.

Id add 2 Mongoose, +1 Hawkeye, +1 Hunting Spear.

Id also change the healing spells for more passive healing instead HoB, Mohktari, Regrowth Belt.

Maybe you should cut Lion Savagery and Bear Strength and just focus on ranged damage.
Maybe you should cut all your good creatures also!

Cut Cervere, Grizzly and Spitting Raptor.
Thunderift Falcon 4+2, Kajarah and an quick attack spell each round for 2-5 mana.

Add 4 Elemental Wand and add more low mana cost attack spells:
1. Dazzle 2 Mana per round - Ethereal, Unavoidable, 4+ stagger, and +2 vs nonliving. 1 dice.
2. Stalagmite 3 Mana? - Piercing. 3 dice?
3. Lightning Jolt 4 Mana - 5+ stagger. Ethereal. 3 dice.
4. Geyser 4 Mana. 5+ Daze. Unavoidable. Remove Burns. 3 dice. Old school but actually looking pretty good.
5. Invisible Fist. 4 Mana. 8+ Daze. Ethereal. 4 Dice.
6. Swell. 4 Mana. 7+ Push. Extinguish. Unavoidable. 3 Dice.
7. Jet Stream. 4 Mana. 4+ Push 11+ Push and Daze. Ethereal. +2 Flying. 2 Dice.
8. Fire Stream. 4 Mana. 6+ Burn. 4 Dice.

And then Theres a lot of 5 Mana attack spell who would also look good on a wand.

x Sandstorm. Only fast area attack spell i could find. Nah i think.

If you go with this you and add more low level creatures you might even use Animal Kindship.
Armor, Elusive and Tuff seems good here.

You might even cut Rouse the Beast. Why use Rouse on a Falcon, if you could just use Kajarah and throw a rock
instead?

You made me want to rebuild this Johktari book right now :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »
Yea agree with many points from biblio about your book shark.  Yea I can see mana wise just hitting with Kajarh instead of rouse.  Stalagmite would be real nice to help finish off those high armor conjurations.  Love he mountain ram in this book.  She can use the mountain ram better imo bc the straywood pet falcon with lion savagery is awesome and can get charge in same zone. 

Creature wise yea with this aggression every match I would lose some of the higher lvl creatures bc if played right you should not need them.  I would cutt either cevere or the bear.  I like having one myself if needing a big threat.  Also besides poison blood a marked for death.  Mongoose agility needs to be in here and like biblio said I would suggest two of them. 

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 12:38:21 AM »
The original book that this morphed from operated from the fact that you can deploy a level 2 creature from the lair every turn for however long you like (I find most games I get 4-6 level 2's out). That leaves 2 or 3 mana left over/turn for rouse, enchant, force push, lesser tele, etc. Only rouse level 2+ unless you're desperate. The point of such a high deployment rate is to flood the field with dice allowing you to control the board. Wounded Prey plays REALLY well into that kind of strategy and thus it makes marked for death kind of overkill/unnecessary. Due to the amount of level 2 creatures, badger frenzy and panther stealth were both in that version. The above doesn't mean you can't dynamically adapt by casting a level 1 to save mana or a level 3+ but it gives a general mindset for the book.

All that being said, this particular version tried to combine two ideas to ok effect. I think for the bow focused book (this one) to work, it needs more level 1's and attack spells. that being said, 4 elemental wands might be overkill. I usually use elemental wands to draw people out of position and punish them for it. If they are such a big part of the strategy, I htink I"m doing it wrong. Might as well run a large amount of attack spells to keep the pressure up since you lose some tempo if you cast the wand. I like the attack spell idea for this version though.

Have you guys gotten the spear to work out? I find it being outclassed by Kajarah in every game. The mana cost alone of the spear makes it fairly meh to me. Maybe I just haven't figured out the right times to use it
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 09:55:53 AM »
I'd highly recommend you look at this: http://www.foren.pegasus.de/foren/topic/25813-johktari-tiermeisterin-goddess-of-the-hunt/
It's Schwen's breakdown of his Johktari and there are some nice replies as well.
Sure it's a bit dated, but the things he has to say about using the bow and synergies could be really helpful.
The Phoenix shall rise.