April 24, 2024, 08:26:11 PM

Author Topic: Feed me, Seymour!- growing the plant  (Read 5334 times)

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Feed me, Seymour!- growing the plant
« on: January 18, 2018, 08:14:38 PM »
I have been tossing this potentail buddy build around, but I am not sure if it is cost effective. Appreciate any thoughts.

Nature mage (any type)

Turn 1:
Kralathor (16)

Turn 2:
Sweeping Strike on Kralathor (4)
Goblin Legionnaire x 2 (7)
Kralathor Eats the Legionnaires and gets 2 Growth markers.

So on turn 3 the mage has 10 mana in the bank, and a buddy that now has stats of 1 Arm, 19 life and melee 6, (8 melee against undead), with reach.

My gut is that this looks cool, but probably isn’t efficient except against Necromancers.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Feed me, Seymour!- growing the plant
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 10:01:55 PM »
A better option would be for a Beastmaster to quickcast the 4 mana critters from Academy.  The Beastmaster can cast Ring of Beasts and Kralathor during turn one and then cast a Mana Flower and a small critter during turn 2 and turn 3.  By turn 4, Kralathor is quite big, but you can always keep feeding it, forcing your opponent to come to you and start enchanting it.  If your opponent waits till turn 6, they will have to deal with a Kralathor with 4 Growth Markers (and probably Bear Strength and Akiro's Favor), meaning that it can start consuming one enemy creature per turn without that much effort (and that is when you use Sweeping Strike).

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »
I think it's better to use kralathor when you know he can get growth markers.
I do not like feeding your own guys to him, I prefer casting him from vine tree (I usually only use him in Druid) and buffing as well as rousing him so he gets a likely immediate growth marker.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »
I have a Feed the Kralathor book.  It sure is fun.  I use the Straywood and the Darkfenne Asps.  I usually start enchanting Big K on Turn 2 (Bear Strength/Akiro's just to make sure he kills that first snake).  Turn one is Big K and either Enchanter Ring or Ring of Beasts.  And I actually move toward my opponent.  By the time I have 2-3 growth on K I have saved enough mana to cast a Pet falcon AND a Grizzly and I'm right near the opponent's face.  It's scary.

I do like the idea of the goblins, though.  Might save some actions, but not necessarily some mana.  Worth testing for sure!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 01:27:40 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses, all!

Sounds like it is a qualified 'maybe, but...'

I'll have to give it a go and see how it travels.
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 07:59:06 AM »
Before you feed the goblins to Kralathor, cast Jeweled Scarab on you mage to get some mana back.
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 09:36:49 AM »
Before you feed the goblins to Kralathor, cast Jeweled Scarab on you mage to get some mana back.

Lol! I love it :)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 10:57:06 AM »
This is an awesome idea! Depending on the mage you are using you might want to use cheap level 1 animals instead of paying 2 sbps for each goblin. But gaining two growth markers a round for two rounds even would setup a crazy timing. I think Puddn pointed out asps are pretty good, that with the sweeping in a straywood might be better on your book budget.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
Costs too many actions. Even with straywood, it costs three converted quick actions to give kralathor +1 melee and +3 life using this method. Better to go straight up creature destruction strategy. Nature school has plenty of buffs in school which will work well for this. Summon kralathor first then enchant it with bear strength, wolf fury, lion savagery, rhino hide, gator toughness etc. Then use him to kill their creatures. If opponent doesn't summon any creatures you can just go for them instead. Destroying enemy creatures means you don't have to summon the kralathor fodder yourself, so your mage is free to use his actions for other things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:59:26 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.