April 26, 2024, 12:17:23 AM

Author Topic: Counterstrike  (Read 4613 times)

Wargallow

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Counterstrike
« on: October 07, 2012, 06:54:37 PM »
Hi, I think the rulebook is pretty clear on this, but as some of my friends are used to more concise information I have to ask this question. If I attack a creature with the Counterstrike ability and I deal enough damage to kill the creature, does the creature get to use it's Counterstrike ability?

Looking at page 26 of the rulebook, I see that damage and effects is the 4th step in Making An Attack, and Counterstrike isn't until step 7, so I think that the Counterstrike wouldn't happen. However, there are no steps in there saying to "check for death", so maybe even when a creature dies you have to do every step right up to the 8th step which is Attack Ends.

Thanks for your time.

Wargallow aka Mike

kamishev

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Counterstrike
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »
Sometimes for me is easier to imagine the situation like is real and see what is the right answer. So in this case you killed a creature and it`s unable to strike back at you. It`s that simple. That`s what i like in this game it makes sense. I have to say that in situations where a was wandering about something it always was the answer that represent a real massacre between mages  :)  

To back up my words:
p.31 Rulebook
The counterstrike attack is resolved like a normal attack,
starting with Step 1: Declare Attack, except that no
additional counterstrikes occur.

So in this situation you don`t have creature to Declare Attack with.

This is my reading of the situation. May be somebody can confirm it.

Rumsey

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:06:50 PM »
Counterstrike actually creates a whole new Attack with all new Steps of its own, but it doesn't start until the first attack is resolved and done.  If the creature is destroyed, then there is no counterstrike.  Remember that Counterstrike can be used during a Double or Triple strike also, but only against the first attack.  It would occur between the First and Second attacks.  This would remove your Guard counter stopping you from using Counterstrike on the Second and subsequent attacks though.  The Hydra has a Quick Action attack with Counterstrike.  This does not go away after one use and does not set a limit to uses per turn.  As far as I can tell if one Hydra were to attack another Hydra, then they would each resolve an attack against each other three times in a row.  Triplestrike vs Counterstrike.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
counter strike happens at step seven and additional strikes happen at step five. all double and triple strike attacks have all strikes happen before counterstrike strikes

Rumsey

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 01:43:22 PM »
My bad.  Tried to go from memory at work.  You're right.  Hydra A hits Hydra B three times, then Hydra B gets one Counterstrike.