March 29, 2024, 08:03:10 AM

Author Topic: Thoughts on Marvel's Doctor Strange as a Battlegrounds Expansion  (Read 4611 times)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
With all the recent forum discussion about the direction and health of the Mage War Arena gaming universe, I wonder how customers might react to a Marvel licensed product covering Doctor Strange and the Defenders from the comics. I can't think of a better game system than Mage Wars to implement magic battles in scenario settings than Arcane Wonders has with MW Arena and the Battleground expansion format.

This might be developed as a series of themed Battleground expansions that introduce Marvel characters and story elements in each expansion. There are very few Dr. Strange games on the market that I have found. Marvel Dicemaster's has a Team Pack and Defender pack, but I have not seen others so there seems to be opportunity to develop this and possibly connect it to the new Avenger: Infinity Wars release coming to theatres for that extra marketing buzz.

Thoughts?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Marvel's Doctor Strange as a Battlegrounds Expansion
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:24:20 AM »
Why?  How?  If MW wants supers, they can make them as level 8's without paying any licensing (and base them off public domain characters without issue).  For example, you could have Victor Frankenstein as a level 8 Arcane creature.  While he would be rather fragile in combat, his special ability would be to reanimate any dead creature in your discard and return it to the arena with a Reanimation token (giving it Armor +1, Melee +1, Life +3, Bloodthirsty +1, and Rage +1).

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:33:06 AM »
That is true that AW can create public domain characters, but I thought the connection to existing story lines, an existing fan base, and a marketing tie in with movie releases would help bring in new players to the Mage Wars universe.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »
The problem is licensing cost.  Disney (and therefore Marvel) charges more for licensing one of its characters than AW could reasonably recoup.  Of course, there is nothing preventing AW from creating its own stable of supers for a Mage Wars spinoff.