April 23, 2024, 11:34:44 AM

Author Topic: Eye for an Eye situation  (Read 2528 times)

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Eye for an Eye situation
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:17:09 PM »
Hey guys,

We had an interesting situation arise last night which we decided to resolve to the best of our knowledge.  However, we would like clarification.  It was quite a complicated turn of events and board state, so here goes...

(Apologies for not linking the cards, I have forgotten how to, and can't find the instructions.)

Two adjacent spaces (A and B) are divided by a Coral Barrier.  In space A is a Knight of the Red Helm with a face down enchantment.  Space B contains a Bed of Urchins and a Merren Harpooner.

The Merren Harpooner attacks the Knight of the Red Helm using the Harpoon attack (4 attack dice and effect die 7+ Snatch).  Wreck of Viridian Lace grants 1 extra attack die, so 5 attack dice and effect die 7+ Snatch.  The enchantment is revealed under the Knight of the Red Helm, it is Eye for an Eye.

The attack dice result in 3 normal damage and 1 critical damage and an 11 on the effect die.  The questions/clarifications are as follows:

i) Knight of the Red Helm received 1 damage (3 armour).
ii) Merren Harpooner received 4 damage (no armour)?  Would armour affect the damage received should the creature have armour?  The confusion lies in the fact that 1 damage was 'suffered' by the Knight of the Red Helm, though 4 damage was rolled.  Would Merren Harpooner only 'suffer' 1 damage too?
iii) Regarding the Snatch - Does each creature pull the other into their starting zone causing a passage attack by the Coral Barrier on each creature, or are the Snatch effects negated? (We carried out the attacks and place swap).
iv) On entry to space B, following the attack by the Coral Barrier, the Knight of the Red Helm was attacked by the Bed of Urchins.

If there are any other details required, please let me know.  Hopefully there is a definitive resolution!  We consulted the example in the rules insert, Codex etc. and it seemed correct.

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Eye for an Eye situation
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:15:50 PM »
 The merren would only take 1 damage. This is calculated after armor. The snatch is actuallt strange and 2 things could happen
1. You would snatch the knight of the red helm toword you in either case.
A. The knight of the red helm is in your zone now. Then the merren takes one damage and a snatch from eye for eye... amd gets moved nowhere cuz it can't go closer to a thing in its zone already.
B... now that i think about it there's no b. That's what happens. The only confusion here is whether the hypothetical useless snatch would (hypothetically) snatch you toword yourself (cuz you're the source of the attack and it would then do nothing), or the knight.
I suspect the former.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »
The card says "the attacker suffers the same damage and effects as the defender", so the Merren Harpooner would suffer one damage and snatch herself through the Coral Barrier.  The Knight of the Red Helm would also suffer from the damage and effects of the Urchin Bed, but that would not apply to Eye for an Eye (neither would the damage and effects of the Coral Barrier).  The Merren Harpooner would probably get the worst of that arrangement though.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 04:20:52 PM »
Both creatures would only suffer 1 damage. The enchantment doesn’t copy the attack or the dice rolls. It copies the damage and effects that actually were applied. In this case the knight recieved 1 damage so that’s what gets copied.

The source of the snatch is the same, because again it’s an exact copy. So they both get pulled into space B. Meaning the harpooner doesn’t move.

The coral barrier and bed of urchins are unrelated. They simply apply as normal to anything that triggers them, in this case just the onight.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 05:28:05 PM »
That's what i thought then.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!