April 26, 2024, 01:33:17 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Duo Team Match Rules  (Read 4518 times)

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Duo Team Match Rules
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:29:12 PM »
I just wanted to share some rules that I have come up with concerning duo teams matches after a discussion with silverclawgrizzly yesterday afternoon.  I would appreciate any feedback on the rules so I can improve them, and I would love to hear back from anyone who uses the rules in order to find out how well they work.  I plan on testing them the next time I play Mage Wars if I can convince the other player to use the rules. 

Mage Wars Duo Team Match Rules

In Mage Wars Duo Team Match Rules, each of the players controls one Arena Mage (the Hero) with one Hero Spellbook and one Academy Mage (the Sidekick) with one Sidekick Spellbook.  The player constructs the Hero Spellbook with 120 spell points using Arena rules and the Sidekick Spellbook with 40 spell points using Academy rules.  The Hero may only prepare and cast spells from the Hero Spellbook while the Sidekick may only prepare and cast spells from the Sidekick Spellbook. 

The Hero is a level six Mage Creature while the Sidekick is a level four Mage Creature.  While any Hero may ally with any Sidekick, the team is more effective if they share the same class.  If the Hero and the Sidekick share the same class, they receive a +1 bonus on any and all of their effect die roll results (including the effect die rolls to determine Initiative during the first turn and to break ties at the end of Duo Team Tournaments).  Sidekicks may tap into the Mana Supply of their allied Hero as if they possessed the Familiar Trait.

The Hero and the Sidekick start the game in the same zone.  The Hero starts the first turn with Mana Supply equal to 10 before the first Channeling Phase while the Sidekick starts the first turn with Mana Supply equal to their normal starting Mana before the first Channeling Phase.  The Hero and the Hero's creatures and objects are friendly to the Sidekick and the Sidekick's creatures and objects while the Sidekick and the Sidekick's creatures and objects are friendly to the Hero and the Hero's creatures and objects.

During the Reset Phase, each player resets his or her Hero and his or her Sidekick and resets any creatures and objects associated with his or her Hero and his or her Sidekick.  During the Channel Phase, Heroes add Mana equal to their Channeling to their Mana Supply, Sidekicks add Mana equal to their Channeling to their Mana Supply, and creatures and objects that channel Mana gain Mana Counters equal to their Channeling.  During the Upkeep Phase, each player removes Dissipate Tokens, pays Upkeep Costs, benefits from spells that take effect during the Upkeep Phase, and suffers from Condition Markers that take effect during the Upkeep Phase in the order of their choosing.  During the Planning Phase, each player chooses two spells for his or her Hero from his or her Hero Spellbook, chooses two spells for his or her Sidekick from his or her Sidekick Spellbook, and chooses one spell for each of his or her Familiars or Spawnpoints, with any spells not cast by the during the round returning to the appropriate Spellbook at the beginning of the next Planning Phase.  During the Deployment Phase, the Hero may cast any spell associated with his or her Spawnpoints.

Only the Hero is capable of taking a Quickcast Action during the First Quickcast Phase or the Final Quickcast Phase.  During the Action Phase, players alternate taking turns and, on a player's turn, the player may choose to activate a creature controlled by the Hero (including the Hero) or a creature controlled by the Sidekick (including the Sidekick).   The Hero and the Sidekick may use their Quickcast Action before or after any friendly creature's activation (including the Hero's activation or the Sidekick's activation) during the Action Phase.

The Hero considers their Sidekick a legal target for spells that target Mages and, if they share the same class, the Hero considers the Sidekick a legal target for spells that target specific types of Mages.  Furthermore, the Hero (or any applicable Familiar or any applicable Spawnpoint controlled by the Hero) may target the Sidekick (or any creature or objects controlled by the Sidekick) with any spell from the Hero's Spellbook that would consider the Sidekick (or any creature or object controlled by the Sidekick) a legal target.  The Sidekick considers their Hero a legal target for spells that target Mages and, if they share the same class, the Sidekick considers the Hero a legal target for spells that target specific types of Mages.  Furthermore, the Sidekick may target the Hero (or any creatures or objects controlled by the Hero) with any spell from the Sidekick's Spellbook that would consider the Hero (or any creatures or objects controlled by the Hero) a legal target.  Spells that target Minor Creatures or Non-Mage Creatures may not target the Hero or the Sidekick.

During Duo Teach Matches, the Hero and the Sidekick each possess their own status trackers for Channeling, Mana, and Life.  Duo Team Matches end when the Hero collapses due to suffering mortal damage.  If the Sidekick collapses due to mortal damage before their Hero, the spells controlled by the Sidekick disappear from the arena and any spells controlled by the Hero attached to the Sidekick or any of the Sidekick's creatures return to their Hero's Spellbook.  It is the responsibility of each player to differentiate between the spells of his or her Hero and the spells of his or her Sidekick.

In Duo Team Tournaments, each Duo Team Match takes 90 minutes.  At the end of each Duo Team Match, each player receives one victory point for retaining his or her Sidekick, one victory point for killing his or her opponent's Sidekick, one victory point for having less damage on his or her Sidekick than his or her opponent's Sidekick, three victory points for retaining his or her Mage, three victory points for killing his or her opponent's Mage, and three victory points for having less damage on his or her Mage than his or her opponent's Mage.  By the end of a Duo Team Tournament, the player with the highest victory point total receives first place, the player with the second highest victory total receives second place, the player with the third highest victory total receives third place, etc.  In the case of a tie for a place, the tied players each roll an effect die until one tied player ends up with a result on his or her effect die roll higher than the results on the effect dice of the other tied players, with the player with the highest result receiving the contested place, the player with the second highest result receiving the next lowest place, the player with the third highest result receiving the next lowest place after that, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 11:44:41 PM by Obsidian Soul »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Duo Team Match Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 12:01:13 PM »
So a lot of your explanation is just explaining the regular rules of Academy and of Arena. When you are writing an explanation of an alternate variant, you should not explain all of the rules of the original standard official formats, because everyone already knows those. Instead you should only explain how things are different in your variant format. Say something like "This format follows all of the same rules as Academy and Arena except..."

This would mean only including the information that's actually relevant here, and that would also shorten your wall of text and make it easier to read.

Anyways, from what I did manage to glean from my attempt to read through it, your format probably shouldn't give a bonus to same-mageclass teams. If anything having the same mageclass as your teammate has enough advantages already, so you don't need to give an extra unnecessary bonus.

Tournament structure rules should not be included in an alternate variant format of the game itself. How people organize tournaments and such logistical matters are the business of whoever runs the tournament. There is a difference between a variant format and rules for how a specific event will be run.

Even if the tournament has timed wins because of logistics etc, the format itself should still have at least one "real" victory condition.

Here are some possibilities, I would recommend picking only one of them:

1. When a sidekick dies, their team loses
2. When a hero dies, their team loses
3. When either a hero or their sidekick dies, their team loses
4. When both a hero and their sidekick dies, their team loses
5. Each team selects and declares one of the above as their own victory condition at the start of the match

Also, I would recommend using the terms "master" and "apprentice" rather than "hero" and "sidekick"
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »
 I really like this format and think it's an awesome idea.  Love how one player could control both sidekick and hero or have 2 players control either sidekick or hero.  This brings a lot of possibilities

One question or concern I have with this is... (edited) along with Sailor I agree about the effect rules

I'm not sure if it's fair to give all effect rolls a +1 during an entire match.  One I think same school pairings already will have an advantage using in school spells and effecting using starting abilities. 

Secondly I feel some builds mainly heroes or arena mages with certain builds will have a slight edge with a +1 on all effects. 

Lastly I feel this penalizes creativity of pairings between heroes and sidekicks.  Where now it becomes more of poor choice to go with out school Mage/sidekick.

Idk maybe I'm over thinking it.  There will be pretty strong combos like a necromancer with  sidekick priestess. 

Balancing with out of school stuff has always been about spellbook points so maybe it's just a manner of penalizing spellbook points slightly.  Such as maybe the sidekick Mage themselves are counted into the cost of hero Mage such as maybe no additional cost for in school.  But maybe it costs 4 SBP for an out of school sidekick and double if it is opposed.  So at worst the hero Mage will have 8 less SBP.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:35:00 PM by farkas1 »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 03:25:54 PM »
I agree with Sailor on naming master and apprentice.

I also do like the optional win/lose rule victory condition proposed by Sailor for a non tournament setting. 

I do think for a points system seems good for a tournament setting tho.

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 03:35:21 PM »
The problem with not giving a bonus to duo teams that share the same class is that you have significant synergy bonuses between duo teams with two separate classes.  I am not wed to the idea of a +1 to effect die though, and I could see the argument for a more modest bonus for the duo team sharing a class.  What about a bonus +1 Channeling to the Hero and the Sidekick if they share the same class?

The synergy bonuses from having a  Hero and a Sidekick from two different classes should not be underestimated.  For example, a Warlord Hero and a Priestess Sidekick or a Priestess Hero and a Warlord Sidekick allow Earth Spells, Holy Spells, and War Spells at normal cost, meaning that the soldiers of a Warlord Hero can benefit from the healing spells from the Priestess Sidekick or the soldiers of a Priestess Hero can benefit from the command spells of the Warlord Sidekick.  The synergy bonuses starts to get more interesting when you pair a Beastmaster and a Wizard or a Forcemaster and a Warlock.

The losing condition for a normal duo team game is the death of the Hero, though the spells of the Sidekick go away if the Sidekick dies (which is why any spells attached to them by the Hero go back into the Hero's spellbook).  Otherwise you get into questions about control of the Sidekick's spells that are still in the arena.  For the sake of simplicity, I would suggest having different card sleeves for the spells of each Mage of the duo team, so that you can pick them up quickly during a match.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:55:52 AM »
I like the concept of team rules. Here are some initial comments for consideration.

1. I would avoid using the term "Apprentice" in this rule variant since this term already has an official rule set published by Arcane Wonders.

2. Team rules for Mages already exist in Battlegrounds: Domination so you may want a specific rules section that highlights differences between the two modes, if there are any. This is similar to the comments above related to using existing rules where appropriate and just clarifying the different rules where they are needed.

3. The main difference you seem to be making with this variant is:

A. A single player controls two mages.

B. The two mages require an Arena level mage and an Academy level mage.

Otherwise, it seems that the standard Team Play rules would apply to make it easier for players to learn the new variant. If this is not the case, then more rules explanations would be needed to address the differences.

4. I don't see a reason to provide any 'synergy' bonus to mages of the same type/class. This feature is not included in the published Team Play rules. However, this would be a clear difference between your variant and the published Team Play rules if you decide to keep the bonus in your variant.

Good luck with playtesting these.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »
I would highly recommend not giving bonuses for same class pairings. There are a lot of hidden synergies that are amazing for running the same class mages. Here are some basic examples
1) Beastmaster - Totems,  Packleader's Cowl, Pet Token
2) Priestess/Priest - Circle of Protection, Consecrated Ground, Holy Avenger
These are just some off of the top of my head.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:37:20 PM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 03:42:40 PM »
Yea I agree with Coshade on no bonuses their is already synergy with same class mages and I think it's enough to deal with choices of different classes especially since the academy Mage must use cards from their own pool and the academy sets.  tho arena Mage could cast Mage Wands or elemental Wands onto an academy Mage and bind an arena spell which is pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:53:37 PM by farkas1 »

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
Yes, you could have a Hero equipped a Sidekick with Elemental Wands and Mage Wands.  In addition, a Hero could give a Sidekick Elemental Armor, Harmonize, Moonglow Amulets, etc.