March 29, 2024, 04:41:53 AM

Author Topic: Lost Grimoire 2.0  (Read 9241 times)

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Lost Grimoire 2.0
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:23:14 AM »
I understand an extension with 2 new mages takes a lot of time to develop and play tests.

However, Lost Grimoire 2.0 ... should be feasible in a much shorter time.
You could include us as a community with, for example, the best spell from every magic school from the forum publish in the extension.

Once a year such a set would be nice.

• Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Grimoire 2.0
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
really like this idea alot, even if half of the designs are yours Karadox.   ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:04:39 AM »
You're right, at the moment most comes from me, but I think if the idea would be implemented that would end quickly and there was a lot more action in the forum.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:53:55 AM »
True I think if there was a call for ideas for lost grimore 2 that would spawn a lot more creations.  I have a few ideas for cool cards I will post soon in the next couple of weeks. 

? Karadox where do u get ur artwork for the cards you make?  Mine will not be as refined as yours but I will give it ago

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 10:00:09 AM »
I search the internet for matching pictures.

It's always nice to see more cards and ideas. :)

If you need the template.
download version 2
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/download
mage wars plugin
https://github.com/ACG8/Mage-Wars-MSE-Template
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:07:58 AM by Karadox »

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
The time isn't in coming up with ideas - we have hundreds of those and a lot part playtested even. It's playtesting them and all the interactions, then getting the balance just right on it, ordering art when fairly confident that the card is going to make it, and waiting for art to be produced.

A sizable proportion are playtesters, so it is already being done by teh community, or a part of it.

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
I thought it would be a good idea of course there are hundreds of designs for spells and dozens for mages...
I just thought of something that the whole community can do and not just a few playtesters, would help the community as a whole.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »
Hey Kelanen I get what you are saying but your missing the point of fan made. 

It's having personal ownership over what comes out, its about creating new concepts and being part of the creative process.  I like being a playtester but I don't feel like I'm creating a card I'm just fine tuning it.  It is a different process. 

I doubt we see it produced but other companies have made sets on fan made creations.  And yea I'm Excited and down for some of karadox ideas to come out, at least for casual play.  Does these cards need play tested?, sure but it would be fun to try them out too.  More creative minds the more potential for cool ideas to be produced.  I'm all for creative ways to get players and fans involved into a game they love.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 06:11:15 AM »

It's having personal ownership over what comes out, its about creating new concepts and being part of the creative process.  I like being a playtester but I don't feel like I'm creating a card I'm just fine tuning it.  It is a different process. 

I doubt we see it produced but other companies have made sets on fan made creations.  And yea I'm Excited and down for some of karadox ideas to come out, at least for casual play.  Does these cards need play tested?, sure but it would be fun to try them out too.  More creative minds the more potential for cool ideas to be produced.  I'm all for creative ways to get players and fans involved into a game they love.
I enjoy a fan made release every now and then, but I would prefer the creative product to be at a higher scale. i.e. not just individual cards. For example, I would love to see a Battleground style expansion that adds underground dungeon tiles and let's one player run the creatures in the dungeon and the other player (or group) to run a party that has an objective to accomplish to win the scenario.

Many of the basic elements are already in the MWA game system, but it needs additional rules and testing to create a fan-made expansion. At one point there was discussion that this was being developed by AW, but in the mean time a creative fan or fan-based team might take this on and share with the community.

Happy Holidays!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 08:50:17 AM »

Okay, I guess I am. I understand your point, but that's not an idea I'd get behind. To each their own though.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 04:17:41 AM »
I am not behind this idea and not because it is a fan made product. Unglued sets are not a new thing, however we need to focus more on sending new official products to the printers than a fan made set of cards that are not legal outside causal play. Printer time is not cheap so personally I vote to stick to the scheduled releases.

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 05:19:38 AM »
Then let's forget that with the Cards from the community, that probably can not be implemented.
But I think it would be good for Mage Wars if Lost Grimoire 2.0, 3: 0, ... would appear at regular intervals.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 05:55:24 AM »
Then let's forget that with the Cards from the community, that probably can not be implemented.
But I think it would be good for Mage Wars if Lost Grimoire 2.0, 3: 0, ... would appear at regular intervals.

I cannot comment officially if that is happening or not. I personally like the idea of at least a second Lost Grimoire set coming out.

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 02:05:02 PM »
I was shocked after punching my new Grimoire Vol 1 into spellbookbuilder and finding out I was still missing a ton of VITAL promo cards (like Screaming Zombie!)...

I would welcome a Vol 2 even if it were smaller than Vol 1.

Jbuzzsaw79

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
I would love to see  a second grimore and see lots of promos as well as few other random things even fan made ideas. One for example would be the bloodwave orc bowen to keep more of orc theme book.