March 28, 2024, 02:26:09 PM

Author Topic: Who do you suck against?  (Read 9016 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Who do you suck against?
« on: November 09, 2017, 05:30:40 PM »
I was listening to Tuesdays with puddnhead recently and he quipped "sorry buddy i know how to fight force masters". This got me thinking. I know puddn plays a lot of forcemaster and as a result he's probably got a pretty good bead on how to shut one down. So it got me wondering, what mages AREN'T you so ready to take down.
For me its wizards and forcemasters. I'm not so hot against them regardless of what book I'm playing. How about you? What mage pops up in the other corner and make you groan? For whatever reason. I'm interested to see what comes up
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Who do you suck against?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 01:10:43 AM »
Priestesses.

For one thing I know it is likely to be a slow grind whichever way it goes, and for the second thing I run a lot of Necromancers and Warlocks, and Priestess has a lot of kit to counter what I have to throw at them.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:52:27 AM »
Priestess - life gain like a champ! And i play slow build necro mostly so the games are always long :/

Jhoktari - everytime i see this mage across the arena i mentally orepare myself for a lair in my face and a swarm of lvl 1 creatures in my face soon after

Wizard - i have been in too many games with the voltaric shield, leather, and vet belt. Its a good strat i just hate playing against it and its what 95% of the wizards i play against use
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 08:27:19 AM »
I tend to struggle with Druids and Force Masters.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 12:30:31 AM »

Adramelech Warlock

I usually have a healing wand and lots of regenerate and heal cards, but I can never seem to keep pace with burn's and incoming damage from creatures. (also the in-school poison blood, thief of life and deathlock seem like a additional insult to injury).
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 02:10:30 AM »
Currently struggling vs everything  8)
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 07:06:09 AM »
Force masters, I end up 50/50 against them and, even when I do win, it is always a tough fight.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 11:47:35 AM »
I tend to dislike any game that goes turtle to the extreme.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »

I think I'm the opposite in that I hate super rush strategies in that it doesn't really let you play the game.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 08:17:56 PM »
Well, I think we can all agree that we don’t want to use every card in our books, but nor do we want to have the game end with most of the book untouched.

Unless we win, of course :)

But I am with you, DevilsVendetta. While the occasional quick win is fun, I like to see plans come together and win ‘by the book’.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 05:01:12 AM »
agree with DV!
but a long game has to bring book surprises and space/movement tactics (no pure turtle!).

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 09:24:39 AM »

I think I'm the opposite in that I hate super rush strategies in that it doesn't really let you play the game.

oh yeah I like games that let you get into it and use more cards like you! If you want a reference this is the kind of game I am trying to describe. Skip to 4 hrs and 12 minutes. It's not typical turtle with 2 heals and 2 minor heals and 4 armor, and 2 regrowths. We are talking like unendable turtle games.  ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgFVtxVPmPQ&index=3&list=PLKFenfrT4VG-5bSxTrh8slBRVSQ91LIeF
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:31:24 AM by Coshade »

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 08:49:11 AM »
That is generally why I prefer to play by tournament rules.  If neither player can kill the opposite get mage in 75 minutes, the game ends in a tie.  It discourages turtling beyond the first few turns of preparation, though I admit that most of the books that I play against are capable of dealing major damage by the beginning of turn 3, so turtle books are no real problem.  If the other book turtles, I will just bring out a few creatures and start stripping away their defenses one by one, until it is just their mage, alone and afraid, against some very nasty creatures.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 09:17:59 AM »
 define major damage by turn 3 for me?  The way you describe your play style is sometimes confusing. A spawnpoint using turtle priestess for instance can reliably drop 2 creatures a round and still use a qc each round. That's is statistically not even probable that an 8 mana attack spell or a 5 dice attack from a big creature to take out a cleric or knight creature in one go.  And if they are staying put your gonna need to be pulling out movement spells or moving up And attacking the creatures yourself. If they use an interceptor or a big guard to spread out your intended damage then you may find yourself behind on mana and actions before long. Shed some light on this for me
I love this game. Its awesome!

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 12:07:57 AM »
Well, I have had a Beastmaster teleport an enhanced Steelclaw Grizzly into my square on turn 3 and support it with a Hurl Boulder.  When you take 16 damage on turn 3, you tend to be a little cautious during your future games.  In any case, defenders really do not matter much when another player teleports your Mage away from his or her turtle to spend some personal time with his or her creatures.