April 16, 2024, 01:33:36 AM

Author Topic: Is copying cards tourney legal?  (Read 5955 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Is copying cards tourney legal?
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »
I sometimes need to make copies of my cards. I have been doing what was mentioned in another post (http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14047.msg38027#msg38027) to do this. They are pretty well indistinguishable from a "real" spell card.

Is doing this legal for official tournaments?

For example, I lost a Warlord book that had four Hurl Boulders in it... and now I don't have very many of them. Can I copy one of my remaining ones and use the copies in a tournament legally?

Another example: Some products (thinking Academy decks in particular) do not include enough cards in a single package to put that maximum number of copies of a spell in an Arena book. Can I, for example, make three copies of the Wychwood Hound and use six in a spellbook even though I only own three?

This brings up a related question. Must I actually own the spells to use them? Let's say I don't purchase one particular product, but a friend has. He lends me a copy to put in a tourney book. There is no way to tell that I do not actually own that copy. If photocopies are legal, then all you need to do is to copy your friend's card.

Also, I haven't tried it, but I suppose someone could find a way to copy cards from an online source, print out some to use, and never actually own the spell (or game?) at all. Is this a reason to disallow photocopies in official tournaments?

A really odd situation might arise if copies are not allowed. Let's say one of my Acid Ball copies ends up in a book that I take to GenCon. I have plenty of the cards available at home... it's just that the one that I happened to include in my spell book is a copy. What happens? Is the book disallowed? Do I just play without the spell? I guess this one depends on the TD... but I'm curious what you all think.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Is copying cards tourney legal?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »
While I am not sure about the copying of cards, I suspect that will not be allowed. But lending of cards is perfectly fine. I know I have lent cards to folks for tournaments the last few years.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
Copying wouldn't be allowed but lending is. Note the card pool provided at Gen Con.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »
Copying cards would make Proxy cards. Proxies should never be allowed at tournaments. However I have lent cards to people before the events. This is totally legal.