April 26, 2024, 01:51:32 PM

Author Topic: End game - infinite resources  (Read 3836 times)

grga.curkovic

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
End game - infinite resources
« on: October 02, 2017, 03:10:05 PM »
Had a weird game on Friday that ended up with a kind of stalemate, except for one mage having Sunfire Amulet. That mage could have gained enough life to jump into the well defended zone where the other mage was hiding and slowly kill everything in there.
Does this seem out of balance?
Are there other cards that would provide similar end game advantage? (couldn't think of any)
Other thoughts?

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: End game - infinite resources
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
Its very difficult to leverage life gain into an auto win situatiom like that. Although if it does get to that point and you didn't pack a dissolve or crumble or explode for that eventuality, then yes it would conceivably be possible that you have lost.
There are many ways to counter that though, from finite life to dissolving the amulet, to doing steady damage each round and making the one life per turn not such an advantage. I dont think its overpowered though as you could be I  just as much trouble if it were an elemental wand that you couldnt rid yourself of. Or a mage wand with a reusablr teleport or dispel or heal. Basically if you let the opponent keep important things line a sunfire amulet, you had better have had some plan as to how to counteract it.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: End game - infinite resources
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 05:09:27 PM »
One such "stalemate" might be an Adramelech Warlock walled off in a corner by Wall of Earth with no non-Flame attacks available and no Eagleclaw Boots, while a holy mage on the other side of the wall just sits there gaining life from Sunfire Amulet with no intention of taking down the wall.

I think two rational players would call this a win for the holy mage, as afters say 100,000 rounds, the holy mage could tear down the wall, then gradually wear down the Warlock, even if his/her only attack is basic melee attack.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster