March 28, 2024, 07:08:50 AM

Author Topic: academy mages conversion to arena stats?  (Read 6116 times)

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
academy mages conversion to arena stats?
« on: September 13, 2017, 06:58:41 PM »
I've looked everywhere for conversion rules to run academy mages (and their special powers) in the arena.

Where there is a single arena mage type to convert it to this seems obvious (academy priestess takes the stats of arena priestess), but what does one do for the warlock/beastmaster/warlord, which each have two arena versions?

Any pointers?
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: academy mages conversion to arena stats?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:43:48 PM »
That depends what you are trying to do specifically? The academy mages were designed for Academy. I'm not sure how you would turn them into arena mages. Arena Mages have 2 or 3 abilities and Academy mages only have 1. If you add extra abilities and increase their stats you're basically talking about making new Mages, not adapting old ones. Which is fine if that's what you're going for.

Personally I wish there was something in between Academy and Arena. Like apprentice mode but customizable and with its own mages and spells.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:47:29 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:01:46 AM »
Ok, let's say that I am quite interested in the Academy Priestess for domination games. That ability to add guard markers is potentially quite useful. Giving her the Arena Priestess' channel and life is easy.

But if I want to turn the Academy Warlock into an arena buddy build (that built-in akiro's favour is quite useful for a beefed up blood demon, say), do I give it the Arraxian's stats or the Adramelech's? Or neither? 
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
There is no official method for "graduating" the academy mages. At this point in time I suggest that you agree ahead of time with your opponent(s) on what you will do. If it proves too weak or too strong adjust it for the next game.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
That's the answer I expected. Thanks for the confirmation, Puddnhead.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 09:58:36 PM »
There was a discussion on another thread that talked about using the Academy Mages as students in the same game as an Arena Mage. They would act similar to a Familiar in Arena with more advanced abilities. If you decided to keep their quickcast action, then you may need to clarify whether consecutive quickcast actions are possible. This might be too powerful.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 03:05:15 AM »
I was thinking about graduated Academy mages some time ago and my thought was to simply replace chosen ability of Arena mage with Academy mage's ability.
In this case You can choose first which mage to play (priest or priestess) and then You choose abilities.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)