April 30, 2024, 04:20:28 AM

Author Topic: Restore  (Read 5473 times)

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Restore
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:52:59 AM »
In timed Mage Wars games i think its to strong.

Just had 3 matches that went to time at Gen-Con, were playing that card in the lasts rounds would give me an almost 100% sure win.

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Restore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »
When this card is played against you and a Timed game, all you want to do is flip the table lol
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
In Berlin they added a rule that stating that additional upkeep phases are done (can't remember how many) to battle this.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:41:52 AM »
Have a nullify, jinx, seeking dispel, or dispel ready if you're worried about. This would be like me saying a last round drain soul is unfair in timed games and should be disallowed.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 11:30:19 AM »
Drain soul causes 12 life change for 16 mana, restore 10 for 5 and can be cast anywhere your mage is or by Cassiel if she's in range 2.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 11:53:59 AM »
Drain soul causes 6 damage. It also causes 6 life gain for a total 12 life swing but it only does 6 damage.

Edit: and now i see i didnt read it correctly. Im an ass. Sorry bout that!
It is a much cheaper mana swing though, I'm not sure that mage wars eas reallt designed with timed matches in mind. It seems that the Swiss match format is sort of a nescesity driven thing that came about due to limited time at conventions and the like.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:57:37 AM by RomeoXero »
I love this game. Its awesome!

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 11:58:03 AM »
both holy and dark have a huge advantage in timed matches. that is part of the reasoning for the point system used.

7. win
3. tied win
2. tied loss
0. loss

helps mitigate builds meant to stall and win based on time. two ties are not as good as one win. seemed to work. the top four at gc were all at 20 or higher points. matchups based on wins, and top four cut based on points. finals, top point played bottom point, and the other two played each other.

however, i do not think anyone tried stalling and matches were all very competitive.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 12:25:35 PM »
I can attest we didn't see any stalling, it's one of the things judges are trained to look for. I've got some ideas organizational wise to help with the Restore issue. Mostly though there's only so much we can do for now.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 09:24:28 PM »
So while I'm not making anything official for Gen Con 2018 yet, I'm going to try out a new system locally starting at Mace in November. Ties will be determined by the amount of damage you have subtracted from your STARTING total life.

I'm also debating removing time limits on all 4 matches on the second day of major tournaments.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:33 AM »
 Not that I'm an authority or anything, but doesn't that kinda handicap druids and sirens? And make the ac warlock and bloodwave and straywood better at timed matches? Not a judgement just a thought. Sirens hard enough to play as she is,  lol
I love this game. Its awesome!

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 04:57:43 AM »
So while I'm not making anything official for Gen Con 2018 yet, I'm going to try out a new system locally starting at Mace in November. Ties will be determined by the amount of damage you have subtracted from your STARTING total life.
What about life loss?
If Warlock summoned two level 3 bloodreapers and both him and his Warlord opponent are at 29 damage, who will win? What happens when I would do more life loss to my opponent than him damage to me but he would heal all damage I inflicted to him?
What about life gain?
I had Warlock using Sunfire Amulet and Regrowth so I would have more time to attack my opponent without worrying about healing actively. It was doing good at the time but this rule would change the outcome of some of his matches.
Then we have Druid and Priestess who have life gain in their abilities.
I'm also debating removing time limits on all 4 matches on the second day of major tournaments.

German Nationals already have full matches on second day.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 07:52:48 AM »
The only one of those that concerns me is Druid which I admit I need to consider. The rest I'm not worried about the advantage/disadvantage it gives.

German Nationals for all I know don't have time slots in which they have to get their stuff done in. We do, if they're able to have unlimited timed matches within set time periods they're given then that's good for them, I'll consider it here.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »
What if we put time limits on phases instead of games? Like a three minute time limit per phase per player. If someone goes over that time limit perhaps it means they aren't familiar with their spellbook enough to play faster. Give them a warning or two and if they're still going past the three minute mark on phases they lose the match. Also because games of arena vary so much in their length, it might be necessary to find a way for shorter games to compensate for longer games. Instead of waiting for that one 15-20 round game to finish while everyone else waits for them or cutting them off prematurely, simply give players a score card which includes a list of all of the opponents they will fight in the tournament, which will be randomly generated in advance. Each time they finish a game they can put a check mark next to that opponent's name. And instead of having separate swiss and elimination portion of the tournament, just combine them into one swiss style tournament. Whoever wins the most games is the winner, and if they're a tie you have a tiebreaker match. I know it's more dramatic for TV if people can be eliminated from further participation in the tournament, but it's always more fun to play more mage wars games rather than fewer mage wars games, and swiss style tournaments are probably more fair in general because the results are determined by just a simple win count out of a certain number of games all against different opponents.

I really don't see the need for elimination rounds in Mage Wars Arena tournaments. All it does is make things appear more dramatic on TV and increase the tournament length unless you use time limits to prematurely cut games off. And it's not like mage wars is a media sensation like some other games.

Then again it might be harder to cover a bunch of games in a swiss tournament then focusing on the "Finals" because then you have more games to focus on. But the solution to this is obviously to have some partipants volunteer to write about their matches afterwards, and to have some people taking pictures of different games at various points. While it's not the same as full video coverage of the entirety of any one particular match, it's still plenty comprehensive, and you could still sometimes video record some of the more interesting matches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.