March 28, 2024, 08:48:15 AM

Author Topic: Steadfast vs Eagleclaw Boots  (Read 3805 times)

theasaris

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Steadfast vs Eagleclaw Boots
« on: August 05, 2017, 08:59:12 AM »
At first glance, Steadfast boots looked like a really great card to me. Then I realized that being Anchored can be a serious - if not game-deciding - factor in a negative way because you have no chance of teleporting out of harm's way. I suppose with a Battle Forge you could also bring Leather Boots and swap them in at the critical moment when you need to flee, but what do you do if you're out of your Forge's range (always a bad thing...)?

Another serious problem is an opponent's Tanglevine/Force Hold etc. while you've got the Steadfast boots on.

What do you think? Do you agree that being anchored can cause way more serious problems than benefits? At the moment I would much rather use Eagleclaw Boots just to avoid Wall pushes and similar (Pillar of Light, Forcemaster's Pull, etc.).

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Steadfast vs Eagleclaw Boots
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »
The nice thing is the Warlord pays triple for a teleport to get him out of tanglevine. Generally I find that with the sbp difference to be worth it always for the Warlord vs a Eagleclaw
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 12:14:04 PM »
I have used this as an advantage several times even using a disarm the steadfast boots to get off a teleport and than tanglevine so they are stuck.  Nasty little combo.  Same with eagleclaw boots to get a solid push through a wall ect.  Always away around a certain card especially if you plan for it.

That said I agree I don't like the steadfast boots as much because it could be used against you. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:31:44 PM by farkas1 »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »
 speaking as a druid player, i love steadfast boots. Go ahead and play them agaist a druid. Tangle strangle or crush are  now horrible difficulties. A pillar of righteous flame will ruin your day. But to be real for a second, i truly believe they are more of a detriment than a boon. You more often end up stuck in a hard place, and walls become way more of a problem when you can port out or crawl over (no eagleclaws). I say pack an anchor if you need anchored. Otherwise eagleclaw boots will be the better option.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »
I like steadfast boots on Paladin and Bloodwave because I tend to stack Melee damage. Tangle in and the like die in one hit and my other creatures are not very far away. I can always telephoto on of them in to guard me for a turn. It also takes my opponent two actions to teleport me when I have the boots on.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

theasaris

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 03:36:48 AM »
@Coshade
I'm not sure I get your meaning. You mean the Warlord perhaps won't be using his costly Teleport to get out of a Tanglevine anyhow and would rather smash it? And a single sbp shouldn't really be relevant...

@Puddn
What do you do if the opposing mage just walks out of your zone (esp. after tanglevining you) and putting a wall up in between? I find (normal) Teleports much to valuable to use them on own creatures just to get a guard to your zone (unless on a mage wand or playing a Wizard). Pillar and Tanglevine also sound like a serious problem!

I don't think I'd ever put on the boots facing a Druid. :)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »
Yeah basically somes players go for the 4-6 tanglevines and a few even go for stranglevines. As a warlord having enough teleports is going to be a tough battle to play on. So rather then trying to run into a brick wall with a eagleclaw I find it better to just extend the game out by destroying the tanglevines, while healing my way out of it.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 02:36:36 PM »
@Coshade
I'm not sure I get your meaning. You mean the Warlord perhaps won't be using his costly Teleport to get out of a Tanglevine anyhow and would rather smash it? And a single sbp shouldn't really be relevant...

@Puddn
What do you do if the opposing mage just walks out of your zone (esp. after tanglevining you) and putting a wall up in between? I find (normal) Teleports much to valuable to use them on own creatures just to get a guard to your zone (unless on a mage wand or playing a Wizard). Pillar and Tanglevine also sound like a serious problem!

I don't think I'd ever put on the boots facing a Druid. :)

I would use Lesser Teleports on my creatures.  In a Warlord or Paladin book I generally expect the enemy mage to run away from me.  It's not really a matter of whether I can win quickly in those books.  It's a matter of making sure I don't take too much damage in the short term and then I win eventually.  So Steadfast boots makes it much more difficult for an enemy to constantly yank me a way from my protections or throw me through walls.  I can take one round of punishment.  I've got heals and my troops are close by and sometimes my armor just makes the turn a waste for my enemy.

Now I do agree that there are certain situations where I'd forego the boots, but I think that they replace Eagleclaw for me more often than not in a War mage book.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster