May 01, 2024, 05:16:53 PM

Author Topic: Academy Warlord spoilers! LIVESTREAM!  (Read 14004 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Academy Warlord spoilers! LIVESTREAM!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »
Here's formations in a Nutshell:
1. Can only be revealed when the creature they're attached to activates. You may also turn other formations attached to the SAME creature face down at this time, but not those attached to other creatures. So switching formations can affect the order you want to activate your creatures in.

2. You may only have one friendly formation revealed in a zone at a time. If more than one end up in the same zone, via creature movement or enchantment shifting shenanigans, you must immediately turn all but one face down. Their controller chooses which ones to turn face down. In team games, the team must come to an agreement.

3. You always pay the reveal cost when you reveal an enchantment, even if it has been revealed previously in the game.

4. They have the Cantrip trait nested into the Formation trait. So even though it doesn't say Cantrip, they all have it.

I should have probably planned out how I was going to describe it better than I did. Sorry about that.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »
Formations are one of the things I like most about this set. They combo amazingly well with some existing cards such as Standard Banner and Fortified Position.

Obviously the weenie swarm benefits from them but so do your mid-sized guys like Orc Butchers.

The butcher's in a Bloodwave book and Promotion could end up a 6 dice, 3 armor killer.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »
Formations are so sweet!  It makes the swarm warlord very viable and maybe even the strongest of the mages.  There are so many more good cards in this set.!!!

From the cards so far he is still behind. Not sure if he's even competitive yet - not to speak of "maybe even the strongest" - Hold your horses! :p
A "swarm" warlord is only as good as the person playing it.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 04:45:14 PM »
A "swarm" warlord is only as good as the person playing it.

That statement is true for every mage and playstyle :p

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »
Hey guys!

Tonight at 8PM Chicago time (UTC-5), we will be doing another live spoiler for Warlord cards! That is in about 6 and a half hours from now. We will be taking any questions from the audience, so feel free to join!

Joining us tonight will be Ash (Mage Wars Designer), Puddnhead, Shark and myself. Hope to see you all there!

Link to the stream ---> https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=-sBcTboFpsk
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 09:31:55 PM »
Good preview guys, even if I'm eager for the equipment lol. You revealed my two favorite creatures in the set more or less which is saying a lot.

I've predicted that Warlords are going to dominate Gen Con 2018. If you doubt me.....wait for next weeks equipment spoiler. Those two mages are about to be insane.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 07:17:23 AM »
I think would have been interesting if Promotion raised the Level of the creature to which it is attached by one. That's what I feel that a "promotion" should do, anyway. Maybe even let the creature keep the level increase if the Promotion is Dispelled... though that would mean adding a token for Level +1.

I think it could have very interesting results. For example, what happens if a minor-creature-only enchantment is on a level two creature that is promoted...? I see a quasi-dispel tactic more easily usable by the Warlord: You may pay mana equal to the total cost of the enchantment to remove it... that sort of thing. This could also change the impact of a Stagger condition on a promoted Creature as well.

Just musing.... Thanks for the preview.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 09:36:52 AM »
I think Promotion is going to really benefit the Bloodwave as it can stack with Vet Tokens. I'm mostly planning to put it on solid Level 2 Creatures such as Izimbila and Orc Butchers. I can also see Elven Soldiers getting some use out of it. It combos very nicely with formation spells such as Press the Attack and another that hasn't been revealed yet.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 10:48:24 AM »
Yeah really enjoyed the spoilers and having Ash on was awesome too.  He made some huge announcements about possible future sets and things that are in the pipeline next year.

I really like promotion it's a cheap spell to get an extra die and an armor.  For only 2-3 mana it will allow both warlords to flip and reveal formations as well as use the extra formation abilities if necessary.  It's also another thing Gurmash can cast.  Warlord players are going to have more options and be a lot tougher to play against. 

I'm really excited about the quick attack range units in this set. 

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 12:31:45 AM »
Will the video for the second stream be posted as well? That would be great.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 05:39:19 AM »
Will the video for the second stream be posted as well? That would be great.
You can still watch it on stream page https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=-sBcTboFpsk
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 12:19:31 PM »
Perfect. Thanks!

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 03:58:50 PM »
Hey guys!  We will be streaming again on Thursday Night at 8pm Arcane Duels time--28 hours from now.  We seriously saved the best stuff for last!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Parliament

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 07:15:12 AM »
I really enjoyed the previews, and am really looking forward to the Academy Warlord. The Warlord is my favorite Mage, and this set looks like it will give him a bunch of new competitive options.

Santar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »
Hey guys!  We will be streaming again on Thursday Night at 8pm Arcane Duels time--28 hours from now.  We seriously saved the best stuff for last!

Can you give linck?