April 16, 2024, 02:41:24 AM

Author Topic: On Goblins  (Read 8110 times)

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
On Goblins
« on: July 18, 2017, 05:32:27 PM »
I have suggested this in another thread, but it really belongs here.

The canonical fantasy goblin is a disposable minion of the dark lord. They breed in large numbers, are cowardly and servile and are the cannon fodder in many an army that gets slaughtered by the elves, dwarves and humans.

Enter the Mage Wars Goblin Grunt. It has a casting cost of 4, 4 hit points, has a quick melee attack of 3 dice with no bonuses.

Sounds about right.

However, the full round casting cost really lets it down and typically prevents it from swarming effectively like Goblin Grunts really should.

So, to my suggestions:

1) make the Goblin Grunt a quickcast rather than a full round action. 
2) make the Goblin Grunt a pest.
3) make the Goblin Grunt a cantrip.
4) to provide a bit of balance, add 1 dark school point to its SBP.

In essence, the purpose of all these would be to encourage warlocks, necros and warlords to spit out an army of one-shot, one-kill mooks who serve little real purpose other than to tangle up the hero mages and their larger creatures, get the occasional hit in and generally serve as a nuisance. And there is a never-ending supply of them...

And add a touch of Dark to the mix to keep them from falling into the wrong (Paladin) hands.

I think this in particular would serve to bolster the BW Warlord a little bit, make Slaknir more useful and give the Orc Sergeant some underlings to kick around.

Thoughts? 
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: On Goblins
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »
Lets make new cards and not lose time on old ones. As I have stated elsewhere, we do not need to mess with already printed cards. This detracts from playtesting of new cards, which I would personally much rather in the game.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
Lets make new cards and not lose time on old ones. As I have stated elsewhere, we do not need to mess with already printed cards. This detracts from playtesting of new cards, which I would personally much rather in the game.

Easy done, then.

Goblin Hordeling

Dark 1 & War 1

Casting Cost 4
Armor 0
Hit Points 3
Quick Melee Attack 2

Quickcast
Cantrip
Pest
If a Goblin Hordeling is in the same zone as another Goblin creature, it gains +1 melee.
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 06:59:35 PM »
Cantrip or not, I still fail to see how I would want to spend 3 spell book points on a 3 health creature with two attack dice.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »
I think you need to get rid of "pest" and "war"

That way it is a dark lvl 1 creature of which you can have 6. And they could in theory all guard - that way they at least tank 1 hit. Under good circumstances.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »
Cantrip or not, I still fail to see how I would want to spend 3 spell book points on a 3 health creature with two attack dice.

I am with Puddnhead here. Even at 2SBP it seems a stretch as better Level 2 War creatures exist.

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 06:57:18 PM »
Now I've finally got my hands on the Academy Warlord I see that something similar to my initial suggestion was already in the game when I posted.

I'm loving the Goblin Legionnaires.

They absolutely rule in Domination. A combo of Altar of Iron Guard and the Summoning Circle and suddenly I have three actions on an opponent's orb zone. Then next turn Slaknir comes out, the horn of gothos blows the fast attack, and the swarm goes everywhere.