April 25, 2024, 01:52:05 PM

Author Topic: Psychic Immune  (Read 4985 times)

gpmushu

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Psychic Immune
« on: July 03, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »
So, I'm a long time lurker (3-4 years) who posts occassionally when I decide to de-lurk myself.  I own all the sets, some 2-3 times, and have been trying to make balanced books for each mage with what I have not using duplicates.

As I build books, I go down a list of things I want each mage to have and since PvS and coming up to Academy Forcemaster, one of those things is Psychic Immune creatures.  Unfortunately, it seems especially that nature mages have a hard time here.  Also, while Warlocks can take zombies or skellies, that takes away from the demon plan.

How important does everyone think it is to have a psychic immune creature/creatures in a book these days? Is this something that depends mostly on the book type, ex: really important for buddy builds but not a concern if you're swarming? How do the Beastmaster/Druid fare against the new psychic Siren and Forcemaster tools?

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Psychic Immune
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 06:53:19 PM »
Hello Gpmushu,

First I would like to say that Psychic Immune creatures are more of a bonus then a necessity, Chant of rage and the Mind control cards are nasty but you can overcome them with Arcane Ward, Clear Mind or Dispel.
As for the Nature school not having  any Psychic Immune creatures, I would like to remind you of one of my favorite nature creature the Lighting Beetle, it has Psychic Immunity.

The problem with Psychic Immunity is that it is only really worth it on a familiar. I would like to see a prsychic immune familiar, but I think it would be too over powered. Sadly.

Werekingdom
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 11:01:53 AM »
Giant wolf spider is also psy immune
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

MrBubu

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 06:58:32 AM »
I think druid and beastmasters can both put up enough creatures to deal with siren's call and CoR by sheer numbers. You of course have to adjust your gameplan in those situations.
It is probably only rarely worth the action for a siren to call a thornlasher or falcon (or maybe even a timber wolf). Same goes for CoR.
Yes both are very strong, and I am not saying that all you have to do is play more creatures, but it is one good way to lessen the impact. probably better than taking creatures just to counter those few abilities.

Think of it spell point wise. even if someone has 3 CoR, that's usually only 3 sbps. If you take the Spider you have spent 4.
If you would not take the spider otherwise, then CoR is not sufficient reason to do it.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 08:58:50 AM »
You need a way to deal with Psychic effects, definitely. However, Psychic Immunity is only one of multiple ways to do this. My preferred method is to take Clear Mind and/or Mind Shield.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 05:49:58 PM »
Is Clear Mind legal now? I was pretty sure Mind Shield was....

And, does Clear Mind counter Siren's Call?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 05:52:02 PM »
Unfortunately Sirens call has no removal cost and cannot be removed at all.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

gpmushu

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »
Yeah, I think Siren's Call is really what worried me the most because the only ways to counter it are Psychic Immunity and Mind Shield, which only works for one turn anyway. If you go all in on a Grizzly buddy, for instance, a siren can just ignore it for no SBPs forever.

I think maybe the best approach, though is to just always have a plan B. Like Bubu said, Siren's call and Chant of Rage aren't that good when the caster is surrounded so having an overwhelm strategy available in a buddy book when playing against a FM/Siren is a good idea.

(Also, I wish I had Lightning Beetle, but I don't have any promos that didn't come with sets)

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 04:37:19 PM »
Yeah, I think Siren's Call is really what worried me the most because the only ways to counter it are Psychic Immunity and Mind Shield, which only works for one turn anyway. If you go all in on a Grizzly buddy, for instance, a siren can just ignore it for no SBPs forever.

I think maybe the best approach, though is to just always have a plan B. Like Bubu said, Siren's call and Chant of Rage aren't that good when the caster is surrounded so having an overwhelm strategy available in a buddy book when playing against a FM/Siren is a good idea.

(Also, I wish I had Lightning Beetle, but I don't have any promos that didn't come with sets)

What I've been using as a beastmaster is Eagle Wings, since I'm normally happy to atk the Siren and most of the threats are non-flying atk spells, conjuration, creatures.
The Priest and Priestess can just use flying creatures.
Necro and Warlock's can use any undead.
As a Druid, your plants have Rooted, so you don't need to pay the cost to Uproot and you are fine.
Warlord: Iron Golem.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine