March 29, 2024, 10:07:40 AM

Author Topic: Mordok's Tome a boon for rushing? Also fun idea for jinx  (Read 3505 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mordok's Tome a boon for rushing? Also fun idea for jinx
« on: July 03, 2017, 03:48:34 PM »
I was just thinking about mordok's tome. it seems that if you're trying to be super aggressive and win really early in the game, one of the problems is that it takes a lot of prediction. if you mispredict your opponent ever so slightly it will cost you the match. A lot of people have talked about attack spell rushes not being viable in tournaments, just a good training tool. I suspect however, that if you have more spell choices (not necessarily more spell actions, but more spell choices) you'll be able to do exactly what you need to do each round to foil your opponent's attempts to stop your rush. I'm thinkinig maybe r1 wizard's tower and mordok's tome, then r2 or r3 start attacking.

Another fun idea might be a slightly slower more controlling attack spell "rush". Throw down a wizard's tower and a mordok's tome, but instead of trying to kill the enemy mage as fast as possible with fireballs and hurl boulders, use lightning bolts on them over and over again, as well as jinxes to make it harder for them to fight back.

Thoughts?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Mordok's Tome a boon for rushing? Also fun idea for jinx
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
well, I'm not the best wizard player so feel free to disagree, but I find myself having plenty options as a wizard due to arcane zap. Especially if combined with a mage wand, you basically already have 4 spells planned each round.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 04:21:10 PM »

Another fun idea might be a slightly slower more controlling attack spell "rush". Throw down a wizard's tower and a mordok's tome, but instead of trying to kill the enemy mage as fast as possible with fireballs and hurl boulders, use lightning bolts on them over and over again, as well as jinxes to make it harder for them to fight back.

Thoughts?
I tried that some games. Akiro can help you get those stuns coming. The big problem is, your opponent has a ton of mana to throw at you the first time he has no stun or jinx in his way. The same moment you are totally starved b and you have invested into nothing else on the board.

(I think I tried something comparable with priestess
T1 Galador, Akiros favor
T2 hawkeye, Devine intervention, attack with Galador in enemy zone)

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 04:44:51 PM »
i rather just cast a wand instead of the tome, that still gives me 2 spells+the one on the wand+arcane zap+ the option of changing the bound spell and casting the one you really need in case something totally strange happened (three spells still may not be enough)

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »
I disagree that rushall is not viable in tournaments. I have a wizard who can pull it off and doesn't suffer the problems a warlock does.