April 29, 2024, 02:48:55 AM

Author Topic: DaveW's Old School Forcemaster  (Read 2809 times)

ExcaliburTK

• Curator of the White Spires
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
DaveW's Old School Forcemaster
« on: June 15, 2017, 11:05:40 AM »
9 Equipment (18 points)
1x Leviathan Scale Armor (2)
1x Elemental Cloak (2)
1x Colossus Belt (2)
1x Gauntlets of Strength (2)
1x Force Ring (1)
1x Galvitar (3)
1x Dancing Scimitar (2)
1x Wand of Healing (2)
1x Eagleclaw Boots (2)

8 Conjurations (18 points)
1x Suppression Orb (2)
1x Hand of Bim-Shalla (2)
1x Enchanter's Wardstone (2)
1x Battle Forge (4)
2x Tanglevine (4)
1x Wall of Thorns (2)
1x Consecrated Ground (2)

2 Creature (4 points)
2x Thoughtspore (4)

9 Attack (15 points)
2x Force Hammer (4)
3x Invisible Fists (3)
2x Acid Ball (4)
1x Surging Wave (2)
1x Geyser (2)

16 Incantations (28 points)
1x Force Wave (1)
2x Force Push (2)
1x Steal Equipment (3)
2x Dissolve (4)
1x Seeking Dispel (2)
2x Dispel (4)
1x Teleport (4)
1x Lesser Teleport (1)
1x Minor Heal (2)
1x Purify (2)
1x Power Strike (1)
1x Shift Enchantment (1)
1x Disarm (1)

16 Enchantments (37 points)
1x Force Crush (3)
1x Mage Bane (2)
1x Rust (2)
1x Maim Wings (2)
1x Mongoose Agility (2)
2x Bear Strength (4)
1x Circle of Lightning (4)
1x Regrowth (2)
1x Rhino Hide (2)
1x Hawkeye (2)
1x Dodge (1)
1x Arcane Ward (1)
1x Nullify (2)
1x Forcefield (4)
1x Vampirism (4)

Open with Hand of Bim-Shalla and Battle Forge. The BF deploys the discount ring on turn 2 while the Hand protects the FM with armor. Turn 2 cast Galvitar with the ring's discount and enchant self (any of several enchants may be useful). Deploy armor on turn 3 just before going to find something to slice to bits. There are plenty of ways to handle guards, so it is not too hard to target the mage. The normal Healing option is Vampirism with Regrowth as a secondary option.

The Thoughtspores normally get Minor Healing and Surging Wave, but many other spells can replace the Minor Heal. Sometimes one spore is brought out early with a slower opening, but both usually get cast after the BF is either out of range of the FM, or has been destroyed.

There are a variety of position control spells, which is important to the strategy, since the FM wants to be melee attacking the enemy mage as often as possible. Most enemy creatures are pulled / pushed / teleported out of the zone where the enemy mage is to open him up for attack.

Invisible Fists can do a lot of damage in addition to a strike or two with Galvitar, especially with Hawkeye. They also get the force discount from the ring.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: DaveW's Old School Forcemaster
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 02:52:01 PM »
If your goal is to attack just the enemy mage, you don't need circle of lightning.
You should use Mordok's obelisk instead. Also you should probably inlcude some mind's eyes to help your spores. The spores with eyes can also help give you some time to set up before you enter the fray. You also might want a second wardstone in case the first is destroyed.

Do you really need steal equipment? When do you find yourself using that? I'm kinda curious since it looks like a very fun spell and I have no idea when it's good to include it in a book.

Might want to add remove curse too. And a second Forcefield. Not sure what you're using force wave for. What's maim wings in there for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: DaveW's Old School Forcemaster
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »
If your goal is to attack just the enemy mage, you don't need circle of lightning.
You should use Mordok's obelisk instead. Also you should probably inlcude some mind's eyes to help your spores. The spores with eyes can also help give you some time to set up before you enter the fray. You also might want a second wardstone in case the first is destroyed.

I already have four zone exclusives, and I'd rather do damage than charge a mana tax I guess.

I built the book using spells that I actually have... I don't have any Mind's Eyes. Like I said... this is old school (meaning the way I put together a FM book a while back, with only a few recent updates).

I figure that, if the first Wardstone gets destroyed, I'm going to be too busy to cast another.

Do you really need steal equipment? When do you find yourself using that? I'm kinda curious since it looks like a very fun spell and I have no idea when it's good to include it in a book.

This is the only book I ever put a Steal Equipment in... I don't know whether I'd put it in a non Mind Mage book. I have it in there mostly to steal wands and to replace a key piece of destroyed equipment with that of an enemy (such as torso armor). It gives me the equivalent of two actions for the price of one (dissolve and equip my own similar spell).

Might want to add remove curse too. And a second Forcefield. Not sure what you're using force wave for. What's maim wings in there for?

I thought about Remove Curse (and several other spells, like Pillar of Righteous Flame), I just never put one in since I haven't done much in terms of recent modifications to this book.

Force wave is either to push multiple creatures through a Wall of Thorns, to push multiple creatures against an arena wall, or to push multiple guards out of a zone (when I can't Force Pull the mage toward me instead).

Maim Wings was to help protect my Thoughtspores from fliers... though it probably can go... that and the Power Strike. Maybe Knockdown and Tanglevine instead.... I do have the Dodge that I was going to put on one of the Spores anyway.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:57:16 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess