April 24, 2024, 02:29:31 PM

Author Topic: Gen Con Practice session.  (Read 10048 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Gen Con Practice session.
« on: May 28, 2017, 07:01:13 PM »
Folks I know the practice session on the site say "Arena Practice" but please feel free to bring Academy books to practice as well.

The Carolina Mage Warriors will be on hand to teach new players and help veterans get ready for the upcoming battles.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Gen Con Practice session.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 08:35:14 PM »
Do we have to register for the practice sessions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 08:57:27 PM »
Yes.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »
Huh it's all priced differently than I was told originally when I was budgeting. I'm just glad everything's $2 cheaper in total rather than being more expensive then i had planned. Whew!

I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »
Yeah per the convention policies we have to charge for just about everything. I know Arcane Wonders is super dedicated to giving people their money's worth.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »
Oh ... I thought the practice sessions were just informal gatherings. Oh well.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Gen Con Practice session.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 10:20:17 AM »

You can probably find other players to play against on your own time. Will probably just have to schedule with them or lurk around the arcane wonders booth until you find an opponent. I think there's a café where you can go to in the convention center. I forget.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »
There will be some informal going on I'm sure. The official practice sessions are $4 though, we have to charge so that we can have guaranteed space available to us for this. We've been able to just sort of "squat" in the past but word is that's not viable so much this year.

I would not let the price deter anyone though if they want to attend the practice session. In case of emergency I will give someone $4 worth of generic tickets(subject to me running out of generic tickets.) This event was my idea, both years I've done Gen Con my #1 wish I hear from players is "I wish I'd been able to get more games/practice in." So here it is, a chance to sit down and practice. The judges will even take a look at books and offer advice as well as help newer players be prepared for what competing at Gen Con is like. We will bring a host of different books so you can practice against whatever mage you'd like.

Also the other main advantage is if you don't have the contact information for other players and you don't make plans in advance you may never find the casual play. So for all the first time Gen Con attendees here is is, listed and scheduled easy to find.  ;D

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 10:27:12 AM »

You can probably find other players to play against on your own time. Will probably just have to schedule with them or lurk around the arcane wonders booth until you find an opponent. I think there's a café where you can go to in the convention center. I forget.

Lurking around the Arcane Wonders booth is very unlikely to help you find players as no Mage Wars is being played at the booth this year. You can purchase product but the focus will be on new products.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »
for folks who have never been to gc, the aw booth is located in the dealers hall. that is where they demo new games and sell products. the gaming is someplace completely different. and there is where you will find many players to chat and game with. also some of those may have info on where other gaming is happening at a nearby hotel possibly as an example. but mostly mw will likely be happening in that gaming area or close by in the same hall

thanks to grizz for the idea. fantastic idea.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:34:01 AM by zot »

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 11:07:06 AM »
There will be some informal going on I'm sure. The official practice sessions are $4 though, we have to charge so that we can have guaranteed space available to us for this. We've been able to just sort of "squat" in the past but word is that's not viable so much this year.

I would not let the price deter anyone though if they want to attend the practice session. In case of emergency I will give someone $4 worth of generic tickets(subject to me running out of generic tickets.) This event was my idea, both years I've done Gen Con my #1 wish I hear from players is "I wish I'd been able to get more games/practice in." So here it is, a chance to sit down and practice. The judges will even take a look at books and offer advice as well as help newer players be prepared for what competing at Gen Con is like. We will bring a host of different books so you can practice against whatever mage you'd like.

Also the other main advantage is if you don't have the contact information for other players and you don't make plans in advance you may never find the casual play. So for all the first time Gen Con attendees here is is, listed and scheduled easy to find.  ;D

I can also chip in Generics if anyone is having trouble with the cost
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »
Now the hopeful plan is with a good training session we should see an increase in competitive matches. Given that Gen Con is already insanely competitive this training session should help boost everyone to another level.

When one of us gets better, we all get better. With that in mind if you play some stranger in a practice session I'd strongly recommend you both playing to improve yourselves and your opponent.

Cause come 10am Friday morning it is every mage for themselves. ;D

Also as a side note if Thursday I could get some books registered and recorded it's going to make Friday go so much smoother and we'll be able to start faster.

rant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • p00pstar on Octgn
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »
Will spectators need to purchase event tickets to spectate the practice sessions and tournament?

Sorry if this is a silly question. I haven't been to gencon before.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 01:08:15 PM »
Well I can't honestly say it's a silly question if i have to stop and think on it for a second.

No I don't suppose a spectator would need a ticket. However do note we enforce a policy of respecting the wishes of the players in terms of spectators. If someone doesn't want their matches watched by a group of people then they simply won't be.

Typically spectators are extremely welcome and a fun part of the experience.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »
I mentioned it in the other thread, but thought I would post here in the proper place. I can pitch in to help if you need anything for the practice sessions if you want some help. I saw that there are at least 10 signed up, and you may need some bodies. let me know.