April 26, 2024, 06:01:11 PM

Author Topic: Figuring out the Bloodwave Warlord  (Read 6940 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Figuring out the Bloodwave Warlord
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:44:47 PM »
Hi! So I've been doing a bunch of theorycrafting with the bloodwave warlord and I can't seem to figure out what he wants to do, where his niche is relative to other mages. It seems like the way other people use him almost never really involves the abilities on his ability card. No one seems to use battle orders or veteran markers in competitive warlord books, and all of them include arcane spells like dispel, plus plenty of enchantments, which makes cards like harshforge monlith a lot less useful. If he tries to compete with other mages on the enchantment game he has quite a few less points to spend elsewhere.

These strategies seem to only take advantage of the warlord's training and nothing else about him. He is the only mage who has this problem as far as I know. I have a lot of ideas about where the warlord's niche might be found and why, and maybe we can figure out why he hasn't succeeded in that niche yet.

Bloodwave Warlord has battle skill, so one of the options he should do well at is melee fighting. However, if he wants to fight on the front lines he needs to be able to deal with things like enfeeble and unfortunately dispels are expensive for him because of his arcane triple cost. While you could go for ballad of courage, the ballad is kinda expensive, only lasts two rounds and if you have enfeeble on you that effectively means you only have eight rounds of mage-made melee attacks with normal movement speed, and that's if you keep recasting ballad. Cheetah speed is less expensive, but the fact that it doesn't ever go away means that it gives +1 upkeep cost when you are within range of your harshforge monolith. Relying on lots of enchantments when you're up close meleeing makes the monolith kind of useless. So you probably want to use remove curse to deal with enfeeble.

Remove Curse, if used on a single enfeeble, has a net action and mana cost that is identical to using a disperse on that enfeeble.

Purify is also useful against some curses like ghoul rot and poisoned blood, and it's also a quick action to cast, which is a plus.

Harshforge monlith is better if you use fewer enchantments. If you're using fewer enchantments, than you probably want to use more incantations. And lo and behold, warlord has a ton of command incantations. While incantations are only one use, they also tend to be cheaper than enchantments and can't be dispelled. This is important for warlord because enchanter's wardstones cost triple for him so he's unlikely to want to run an enchantment heavy build regardless. Arcane Wards are useful for protecting whatever few important enchants that he does have though, since it's novice.

In addition to the harshforge monolith, there are other cards that seem like they were designed to compensate for the arcane triple cost: harshforge plate, armor ward, and champion's gauntlets.

Since warlord has arcane triple cost, he doesn't like using nullify very much. Armor ward makes it cost your opponent +4 mana to destroy your equipments. Harshforge plate makes it cost +2 to cast an enchantment or incantation spell on you. Champion's gauntlets make equipments in your ring shield and weapon slots impossible for your opponent to destroy unless they destroy the gauntlets first. And destroying the gauntlets cost an extra 2 mana.

So in this scenario, in order to destroy i.e. a warlord's weapon, you must dissolve the gauntlets for 8 mana, then pay the weapon's cost +6 to dissolve the weapon. Crazy large amounts of mana for a single weapon right? And that's if you only have harshforge plate, armor ward, champion's gauntlets and a weapon equipment. Armor Ward is probably one of those enchants that you want to stick an arcane ward on.

Harshforge plate takes 10 mana to dissolve, so if your opponent wants to go that route in order to destroy the weapon more easily, they're paying 10 mana to lower the cost of destroying two equipments by 2 mana each. That means the dissolve used to destroy your plate only pays itself back after they've casted 3 more incantations or enchantments on you. And you can always just cast a second plate.

Additionally, many soldiers have a weakness to lightning. Lightning often has a chance of dealing dazes or stuns (or staggers sometimes). The Bloodwave Warlord has two choices here: either stock up on clear minds or summon even more creatures, or some combination of the two. One of the benefits of swarming soldiers as the bloodwave warlord is that it makes the helm of command and horn of gothos more worthwhile.

The helm of command is like mage wand, except it only costs 3 mana, can only be used with command incantations, and costs only ONE mana and a quick action to switch the bound spell. Its extremely cheap, and the spell switching is only a problem because it takes a quickcast. Not a problem for your actions if your mage uses lots of creatures. Horn of Gothos is kind of self explanatory. It makes your 1 mana, 1 zone AoE battle orders into a 4 mana arena-wide battle orders. Arena wide buffs can be pretty useful, especially when you have lots of creatures in play.

Something else I thought of:

Goblin chieftain gives all goblins elusive, and goblins tend to be really frail. Comboing with akiro's battle cry could make for good rush potential if you can pull it off fast enough. Problem is, barracks opening can be kinda slow.

It also occurs to me that because goblins tend to be on the frail side, they don't really have enough staying power to kill enemy creatures much. If they're not fighting enemy nonmage creatures, they probably don't have much need for vet tokens. You could just have them charge the enemy mage instead. Goblin chieftain's ability allows him to push goblins closer so they can attack sooner. Combine that with charge on helm of command and to battle with horn of gothos, and then you have each goblin grunt hitting for 5 dice a piece.

If you want to focus more on killing enemy nonmage creatures, you might want to go with fewer more powerful creatures, like dwarves.

Another idea would be to stay in your corner zone and turtle, shooting at anything that comes near. If the opponent tries to stay back and uses deathlock and idol of pestilence, or if they're a Druid with a tree bond. akiro's hammer and ballista will wipe that smirk off their face, without needing you to venture far from your corner. You might need a goblin builder for this, not sure. If they cast their tree bond in their corner zone, and you shoot it with the akiro's hammer, that's 8 dice and then they heal it in upkeep. You could try casting garrison post to full cast goblin builder there, then force push the goblin builder to far center zone and have it cast ballista there, but that takes too much time to set up. You're probably better off having your bloodwave Warlord move into the fray while soldiers shoot your enemies from behind.

I'm not sure why no one seems to be playing warlord in the niche he was designed to excel at. Maybe no one's figured it out yet, perhaps there's some obstacle that we haven't been able to overcome. Maybe the triple cost to dispel is too much for him, and remove curse is not an adequate substitute because it uses a full action to cast. If this is the case, I would recommend using a swarm of medium size creatures like orc butchers, skeletal sentries and white cloak knights to compensate for the action cost.

This is the extent of the theorycrafting I have done so far. In practice, I am not very good at playing the bloodwave warlord yet, so take all this with a grain of salt. That being said, it really does look like the way people are playing him usually doesn't match his apparent niche. However, I am reminded of the wizard before his errata. Back then the way people played the wizard usually did not match his apparent niche either. I struggled to understand how to make good wizard decks besides the ones already made, until they errata'd him, and suddenly I started having ideas of how to play him.

That is what it feels like when I try to build for the bloodwave warlord. I can see the kind of things it looks like he is meant to do best, but I can't seem to get him to do those things very well, and neither it seems is anyone else.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:54:42 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Figuring out the Bloodwave Warlord
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
I would never use dissolve against Harshforge Plate. This is what crumble is for. Crumble targets the equipment and not the mage ergo does not trigger the Harshforge plate's ability. Sure it is still 8 with an armor ward, however I would still do that as the 2 mana that I gain for this spell soaks that. I am mindful that you still require the correct amount of mana at the beginning of the casting of this spell, 8 in this case, however crumble effectively negates both the armor ward and the harshforge plates cost increasing engine.

Personally I prefer Chitin Armor and a +2 armor rune but thats not this Warlord.......

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »
My frequent Bloodwave Warlord opponent employs a lot of the cards and strategies you describe. However...

Another idea would be to stay in your corner zone and turtle, shooting at anything that comes near. If the opponent tries to stay back and uses deathlock and idol of pestilence, or if they're a Druid with a tree bond. akiro's hammer and ballista will wipe that smirk off their face, without needing you to venture far from your corner. You might need a goblin builder for this, not sure. If they cast their tree bond in their corner zone, and you shoot it with the akiro's hammer, that's 8 dice and then they heal it in upkeep. You could try casting garrison post to full cast goblin builder there, then force push the goblin builder to far center zone and have it cast ballista there, but that takes too much time to set up. You're probably better off having your bloodwave Warlord move into the fray while soldiers shoot your enemies from behind.

In our most recent match (last week), the Warlord started with a Goblin Builder. My Zombie Necromancer countered with Idol of Pestilence on turn 2, right after a Goblin Slinger came out. The Warlord countered with Ballista and Akiro's Hammer, but I just put a Wall of Poison Gas and a Wall of Bones in front of them, sent a Zombie Brute through the Wall of Poison Gas, and took out the Slinger. The Warlord failed to take out the Idol with a Hurled Boulder. Meanwhile, Zombies continued to beat down the Ballista, and when it came down, the Warlord summoned another Ballista closer to the Idol, which was countered with another Wall of Bones. By then it was too late. The Arena was covered in Zombies, the Idol still stood, and a Zombie Frenzy spelled the end for the Warlord (despite stunning several Zombies with a Hail of Stones).

There were a couple of rounds where Akiro's Hammer had no legal target, as the wall at Range 2 bordering the Ballista's zone was the Incorporeal Wall of Poison Gas. It was a very frustrating match for the Warlord.

I think this Warlord opponent has had most of his success with higher level soldiers like Knight of Westlock and Dwarf Kriegshammer. His Battle Skill comes in handy, and occasionally he gets 1-2 Vet tokens out (depending on opposing mage/strategy), but rarely uses Battle Orders and often would probably have been better off as the Anvil Throne Warlord or as a Paladin or even Priest (in the Knight of Westlock case).

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
Hi! So I've been doing a bunch of theorycrafting with the bloodwave warlord and I can't seem to figure out what he wants to do, where his niche is relative to other mages. It seems like the way other people use him almost never really involves the abilities on his ability card. No one seems to use battle orders or veteran markers in competitive warlord books, and all of them include arcane spells like dispel, plus plenty of enchantments, which makes cards like harshforge monlith a lot less useful. If he tries to compete with other mages on the enchantment game he has quite a few less points to spend elsewhere.

These strategies seem to only take advantage of the warlord's training and nothing else about him. He is the only mage who has this problem as far as I know. I have a lot of ideas about where the warlord's niche might be found and why, and maybe we can figure out why he hasn't succeeded in that niche yet.

Bloodwave Warlord has battle skill, so one of the options he should do well at is melee fighting. However, if he wants to fight on the front lines he needs to be able to deal with things like enfeeble and unfortunately dispels are expensive for him because of his arcane triple cost. While you could go for ballad of courage, the ballad is kinda expensive, only lasts two rounds and if you have enfeeble on you that effectively means you only have eight rounds of mage-made melee attacks with normal movement speed, and that's if you keep recasting ballad. Cheetah speed is less expensive, but the fact that it doesn't ever go away means that it gives +1 upkeep cost when you are within range of your harshforge monolith. Relying on lots of enchantments when you're up close meleeing makes the monolith kind of useless. So you probably want to use remove curse to deal with enfeeble.

Remove Curse, if used on a single enfeeble, has a net action and mana cost that is identical to using a disperse on that enfeeble.

Purify is also useful against some curses like ghoul rot and poisoned blood, and it's also a quick action to cast, which is a plus.

Harshforge monlith is better if you use fewer enchantments. If you're using fewer enchantments, than you probably want to use more incantations. And lo and behold, warlord has a ton of command incantations. While incantations are only one use, they also tend to be cheaper than enchantments and can't be dispelled. This is important for warlord because enchanter's wardstones cost triple for him so he's unlikely to want to run an enchantment heavy build regardless. Arcane Wards are useful for protecting whatever few important enchants that he does have though, since it's novice.

In addition to the harshforge monolith, there are other cards that seem like they were designed to compensate for the arcane triple cost: harshforge plate, armor ward, and champion's gauntlets.

Since warlord has arcane triple cost, he doesn't like using nullify very much. Armor ward makes it cost your opponent +4 mana to destroy your equipments. Harshforge plate makes it cost +2 to cast an enchantment or incantation spell on you. Champion's gauntlets make equipments in your ring shield and weapon slots impossible for your opponent to destroy unless they destroy the gauntlets first. And destroying the gauntlets cost an extra 2 mana.

So in this scenario, in order to destroy i.e. a warlord's weapon, you must dissolve the gauntlets for 8 mana, then pay the weapon's cost +6 to dissolve the weapon. Crazy large amounts of mana for a single weapon right? And that's if you only have harshforge plate, armor ward, champion's gauntlets and a weapon equipment. Armor Ward is probably one of those enchants that you want to stick an arcane ward on.

Harshforge plate takes 10 mana to dissolve, so if your opponent wants to go that route in order to destroy the weapon more easily, they're paying 10 mana to lower the cost of destroying two equipments by 2 mana each. That means the dissolve used to destroy your plate only pays itself back after they've casted 3 more incantations or enchantments on you. And you can always just cast a second plate.

Additionally, many soldiers have a weakness to lightning. Lightning often has a chance of dealing dazes or stuns (or staggers sometimes). The Bloodwave Warlord has two choices here: either stock up on clear minds or summon even more creatures, or some combination of the two. One of the benefits of swarming soldiers as the bloodwave warlord is that it makes the helm of command and horn of gothos more worthwhile.

The helm of command is like mage wand, except it only costs 3 mana, can only be used with command incantations, and costs only ONE mana and a quick action to switch the bound spell. Its extremely cheap, and the spell switching is only a problem because it takes a quickcast. Not a problem for your actions if your mage uses lots of creatures. Horn of Gothos is kind of self explanatory. It makes your 1 mana, 1 zone AoE battle orders into a 4 mana arena-wide battle orders. Arena wide buffs can be pretty useful, especially when you have lots of creatures in play.

Something else I thought of:

Goblin chieftain gives all goblins elusive, and goblins tend to be really frail. Comboing with akiro's battle cry could make for good rush potential if you can pull it off fast enough. Problem is, barracks opening can be kinda slow.

It also occurs to me that because goblins tend to be on the frail side, they don't really have enough staying power to kill enemy creatures much. If they're not fighting enemy nonmage creatures, they probably don't have much need for vet tokens. You could just have them charge the enemy mage instead. Goblin chieftain's ability allows him to push goblins closer so they can attack sooner. Combine that with charge on helm of command and to battle with horn of gothos, and then you have each goblin grunt hitting for 5 dice a piece.

If you want to focus more on killing enemy nonmage creatures, you might want to go with fewer more powerful creatures, like dwarves.

I'm not sure why no one seems to be playing warlord in the niche he was designed to excel at. Maybe no one's figured it out yet, perhaps there's some obstacle that we haven't been able to overcome. Maybe the triple cost to dispel is too much for him, and remove curse is not an adequate substitute because it uses a full action to cast. If this is the case, I would recommend using a swarm of medium size creatures like orc butchers, skeletal sentries and white cloak knights to compensate for the action cost.

This is the extent of the theorycrafting I have done so far. In practice, I am not very good at playing the bloodwave warlord yet, so take all this with a grain of salt. That being said, it really does look like the way people are playing him usually doesn't match his apparent niche. However, I am reminded of the wizard before his errata. Back then the way people played the wizard usually did not match his apparent niche either. I struggled to understand how to make good wizard decks besides the ones already made, until they errata'd him, and suddenly I started having ideas of how to play him.

That is what it feels like when I try to build for the bloodwave warlord. I can see the kind of things it looks like he is meant to do best, but I can't seem to get him to do those things very well, and neither it seems is anyone else.

Thoughts?

I have been tinkering with the bloodwave warlord lately and have been trying to play off of his battle orders and vets. 

In regards to the monolith, I attempted making a book that ran zero enchantments and the monolith.  The problem with that is once it goes down you have no enchants.  I started that concept with the vet ability gives melee and armor +1. as long as I can have creatures kill stuff they get half of a bear strength and half of a rhino hide..seems pretty nice for no mana investment. also, instead of casting bear strength, I would helm of command power strike or something like that, or use my battle order for charge +1 - adding dice without using enchants. 

I usually end up putting 1 dispel in my bloodwave, then use 1 remove curse, 1 purify, and occasionally 1 arcane corruption as opposed to purge magic.  I would not waste remove curse on a single enfeeble.  If that is the case, I would try to work around that as much as possible by using the horn to let your orders affect the arena or just chant of rage targets to you so that you can melee them.

One thing I have noticed with playing is that you want to use your battle orders when needed or cast a command and then melee.  This has been a problem for me so I started using Germash.  The ability to have the familiar give the buffs giving your mage 2 actions to do what he needs to do has helped a lot.  Also, I have been using morning star, spiked buckler, and vorpal blade with the orc.  I have found helm of command to be quite useful! I dont run a mage wand in my orc book anymore, only in the dwarf because of the cantrip rune.  But for 1 mage wand you can have 3 helm of commands if you wish.  I only run 2, though. Because of this you can get away with running the melee +1 gauntlets.  food for thought.

His charge +1 command seems to be the most beneficial in my opinion. The on guard order has been very helpful for me too. have a soldier move in and guard the warlord then qc on guard. or have thorg use his ability then use on guard on him.

Bigger guys that do multiple things seem to be better as well, like creatures with a defense (knight of westlock) or the counterstrike trait (any creature with this or retaliate since its in school), regen (trolls!), etc.  I say this only because a creature does not have to be a soldier to get the veteran buff, only the battle order buffs.  my only gripe with this is that a timber wolf costs 4 sbp and the orc butcher cost 2 sbp with almost identical stats. so just use the butcher in that case. 

As for the restriction to arcane, we now have lesser teleport and arcane ward. both cards are less powerful and useful versions of the teleport and nullify, but they are still great cards that the warlord can carry many copies of instead of trying to get by on 1 of each bc of sbps

Ballad of courage is a weird card because it is so expensive but I have seen others shift enchant it around from creature to creature to get more bang for their buck.  a little action intense but could help.

Also, new cards from pvs like steep hill make your release volley command and your elemental wand (which you get at sbp cost) that much better.   It can also help for positional advantages if you run garrison posts or archers watchtower.  chant of rage, while not earth or war can be used to great effect with a warlord.  They are moving in to attack your mage or a strong creature, chant of rage and make them attack a wimpy goblin grunt or something. Or you can try to use thorgs taunt. He is on the expensive side but he is super tough and can taunt for you. Song of love might actually be worth while for the bloodwave.  you cast on guard on a guarding creature, an elusive enemy creature comes in, reveal song of love and they have to hit your guard, chant of rage works too, but you get the idea. 

I see his creatures, at least the war lv 1 and 2 creatures, as expendables.  use power strike one time on one guy, if he gets a kill then becomes a veteran awesome...if not he paved the way for the next guy to hit and become a veteran.  The best thing about veteran is that it cost you no mana apart from the original price of the creature.  Your creature does well then they are rewarded :) But making that ability used to its fullest is difficult since the not so strong creatures are less likely to become a vet and they are the ones that would benefit the most from it. 

Im trying to keep up with some of your original points but I feel like I'm getting lost in rambles :/
and apologies now for my poor sentence structure and run on sentences lol
But i hope some of this helps
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
One of my big points for Bloodwave is he gets a lot of value out of the Armory.

1 armor and 1 pierce to every creature is pretty huge.  I think it is something people don't take enough advantage of.

CurseofFeanor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 06:26:34 AM »
Hi guys,
I am new to this forum, but I am playing Mage Wars for over 2 years now, so I guess I join right in.

I think to find the niche for the Bloodwave is to
1. figure out what sets the Bloodwave apart from his competitors (Anvil Throne -> Same training and Paladin -> Holy creatures supported by the war and holy school)
2. decide if this playstyle is (competitivly) viable.

Anvil Throne Warlord
The Anvil Throne pushes the Bloodwave out of any solo mage and  (pure) tank builds. Due to the runes he can use the forge and especially wands way more effektivly. Also the tough is gold for a tanky playstyle. The vet ability is yet useless in such a strategy.
If you run a book with a few creatures that need a severe amount of support (e.g. Iron Golem, Titanodon), the Anvil Throne is again the better choise, because the wands allow better support. The Bloodwave on the other hand wants to attack every round to use his Battleskill instead of supporting too much. Also it is quite hard getting a vet on these guys for not that much pay off.
The way to go is imo to rely on your creatures and fighting on the frontline.

Paladin
The Paladin is also a melee figther mage. He can support his creatures not only with the war, but additionaly the holy school. The creature pool however is different, relying on holy creatures. While he can take up to war lvl 2 at cost, he has a much better arsenal (e. g. Vanguard, Red Helm) at his disposal.
But that does not mean the Bloodwave gets outclassed in that playstyle. While has no benefits from holy training, he can utilise commands in a superior manner with Helm/Ring of Commands and his Battleorders maybe combined with the Horn. In addition the Paladin can not get war creatures via spawnpoint.
Another advantage of the Bloodwave is again the Battleskill.

Bloodwave Warlord
As I evaluate it, there a two strategies to play him using his abilities to their fullest.

1. Gearing up with "Warlord only" equipment like the War Sledge, Forgehammer, Buckler and Hashforge and smashing in faces, while you have two or three bigger guys fighting alongside you. Ideally a Battleforge equips you and your creatures are self-reliant like the Bridgetroll, Dwarves, Thorg or the Minotaur. A Greatbow can shoot from the back. An added bonus is that the Warlord weapons can dish out daze and even stun to disturb the enemy.

2. You can also run the Baracks to beat your opponent with a swarm of orcs and goblins supported by mass and global commands. Using the Garnison Posts the reinforcements can reach almost any point in the arena. In this scenario you can use cheap equipment and your Battleskill to fence of agression and apply pressure. Sweeping and daze is herein amazing too. Also the Altar of Carnage can do an incedible job in this build.

Finally I wants to mention Gurmash. He can really support both Bloodwave playstyles. He can save his Warlord lots of actions commanding the forces. Unlike other familiars I would delay playing him, since Most commands are incantations so there is not much to do early game.

Any thoughts?

PS. : English is not my native language so please excuse any spelling and grammar errors.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »
Welcome to the community Curseoffeanor.

Yea I have been tinkering around too with the bloodwave as more of a buddy build too.   He can get veteran marker buffs on some buddies and yea running cheap equipment to take advantage of his battleskill is not a bad idea.  I like the idea of a swarm build with him too.  Right now I have two warlord builds, one for each of them.  May do some testing to swap out the warlords to see which one works best.  I think the anvil throne warlord having an inherit tough -2 just such a vauable trait to have right from the beginning is too vauable that he overshadows the bloodwave in almost every other aspect that the bloodwave may have.

Yea agree if bloodwave is in the battle he needs the support of Gurmash to do some of the commands. 

On the other note I am excited for the warlord academy set.   I believe it will fix some of these problems the bloodwave has and will significantly make both warlords better and separate them more from the Paladin. 

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 06:23:31 AM »
Personally i find the dwarf much harder to play. I don't like to play the classic "you can't hurt me" tank so I prefer some sort or big guys buddy build.

I always either spend most of my mana on equipment with a forge (leaving me too mana drained to actually summon big guys or support them properly) or spend the mana on big guys and manually trying to summon armor, which always makes me very action drained. I think the Anvil Throne warlord is my worst mage by far.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 06:32:21 AM »
Personally i find the dwarf much harder to play. I don't like to play the classic "you can't hurt me" tank so I prefer some sort or big guys buddy build.

I always either spend most of my mana on equipment with a forge (leaving me too mana drained to actually summon big guys or support them properly) or spend the mana on big guys and manually trying to summon armor, which always makes me very action drained. I think the Anvil Throne warlord is my worst mage by far.
Well with anvil, tank or forge + SWAT team is the way to go I think.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 06:43:47 AM »
Yes. I know in theory, but I find it much harder to actually do it properly.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:44:32 AM »
If you want tank it comes down to how many defenses / armor can you stack into the build.