April 26, 2024, 01:35:28 AM

Author Topic: The power of burn  (Read 6164 times)

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
The power of burn
« on: March 13, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »
Alright I am using more fire attacks in some of my books and have finally realized the awesome potential of burns.  In my matches in the past against warlocks I have yet to really feel the overall impact of burns. They just go away after a round or two. 

However...
Recently one match against a warlock and another match with my Necro I have seen the power of burns.  My last match all my burns stuck to several creatures and they just never went away, which was awesome.   

This has led me to My next build.  I am planning on building a book using the Adramelech, magma golem, and or fire elemental.  I plan on throwing maybe some lower level demons in to get the healing or maybe even just one more buddy. 
Using her fire weaving and the magma golem to move burns from the golem to keep him from getting too armor weak, but still do its burn damage to creature in its zone. 

My question being new to playing warlocks is what are some tips playing against a siren, preistess, or those who maybe have strong counters to burns and how to be effective against those counters? Any tips would be much appreciated.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: The power of burn
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 02:21:54 PM »
The magma golem is so fun to use with the adramelech warlock!  I have a book made and it has had fiar success.  Not all of my plays have been wins, but the golem has played a big part in the games i did win!

The book is on the forums as Adramelech's Golem

I would say go with the magma golem over the fire elemental.  the golem has no upkeep, does not have a weakness to fire, and has a cheaper mana cost.  And some lower level demons will help keep some of the pressure off of the golem, for sure, but I would run at least 2  little guys and at least 1 other heavy hitter.

I have found that fireweaving off the golem is fantastic to stack burns! but i recommend adramelechs touch on the golem.  That way if the burn added during the upkeep rolls a zero, it does not go away and you can still fireweave it that turn.  Having the armor drop on the golem is the biggest weakpoint in my opinion. slow hurts, but sometimes you just want him to walk into a zone to apply burn damage during upkeep. That being said, if you go up against a siren, or really any mage in general, watch out for acid balls and rust.  Since a burn stacks on him every upkeep, having 1 to 2 corrodes on him on top of that can really suck! Rust is the biggest issue.  At least with actual corrode markers, you could keep him out of the way, let burns build up, or fireweave them to the golem, so that his armor drops to zero and the corrodes get removed. Siren also has easy access to water spells but that shouldnt be an issue if they are used mainly to extinguish. If they are up the pressure so she uses them on other targets. If they go after the golem, up the pressure so they have to focus on the mage!

Against a priestess, if you can get multiple burns on her or another creature and she is using her full action and mana to get rid of them, that just gives you time to capitalize and put more pressure on her.  If she is using her quick action to get rid of them, you should be able to stack them faster than she can take them off.  The holy school also has buffs against nonliving and such...for those I just say deal with them as fast as you can :b lol

A marked for death on the enemy with the adramelech warlock using a magma golem and firebrand imp with demonic link is glorious! the imp is cheap but with those bonuses he is going to be a big threat!
just with those cards, the golem would roll 6 dice 6+ burn 10+ 2 burn , the imp 5 dice 7+ burn that heals your mage and the imp, if the target is burned, every attack, and the mage 3 dice 4+ burn base attack

hope this helps
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:36:13 PM by drmambo23 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 04:21:45 PM »
Very cool idea paring up Adrameleck and Magma Golem - I will have to give that strategy consideration. There is something to be said about burn markers- last week I had 4 burn markers against a beast master. During Upkeep, my buddy rolled all 2s. That was extremely satisfying. 8 no action/mana cost damage! Granted that is not a typical roll, it was extremely fun (and oddly satisfying) to watch my opponent melt with anger ha ha!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
One time my opponent played a sunfire amulet. So I ignited him the turn after. it did over 16 damage and never fizzled. Best 2 mana spent ever.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:14:35 PM »
Oh the power of burns great to here some more stories.

Thanks drmambo for tips really like remove corrodes idea and the adramalechs touch on the golem so it Guarantees they do stack.  Yea I have a few ideas now on how I want to approach the build.  And will be practicing it next weekend. 

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »
Magma Golem certainly fits into the Adramelech Warlock's arsenal of spells and tricks ( Fireweaving ).

I don't see him as the backbone of a book however but more as a mid-game surprise play, when your opponent has summoned a few creatures already.

I fear he can be taken out rather quickly if focused on but if you use him as a support play, when the opponent already has other things to worry about I think he may be a solid play.

His sbp cost (6) is also rather taxing on your book, so likely you won't include more than 1, another reason not to make him the focal point.

As such I see him perform best in a Curse-Burn book, the way the Adramelech Warlock often plays.

Another observation about him : I think the sweet spot for him may be to have 1 burn on him permanently.
That way he still has 3 armor, which is enough to deal with 6 attack dice and during upkeep he gets a second burn token to damage all those around him.

What other spells would fit this type of book ?

As mentioned already, Adramelech's Touch should be an autoinclude. One copy to put on the Golem and one for the opposing mage with possibly a back-up third copy.
If you start your game by cursing the opponent he may not deem it worthwhile to use dispels on the Touches though and two might suffice.

To protect the Golem and to make melee attacking him less attractive, maybe a Circle of Fire.
Of course Golem+Touch+Barrier = 24 mana. A serious investment.

A few copies of Lesser Teleport might come in handy as well so you can potentially drop him right into the opponents lap during final Quickcast.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:58:44 AM by Borg »

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
He can be focussed down pretty quick and i agree with not making him the focal point. In my book i have mheggeden, and after he is out for a bit then an imp then golem. And after resources on the golem were spent i used a dps. Having to deal with mheggeden a golem and the mage isnt fun lol

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »
He can be focussed down pretty quick and i agree with not making him the focal point. In my book i have mheggeden, and after he is out for a bit then an imp then golem. And after resources on the golem were spent i used a dps. Having to deal with mheggeden a golem and the mage isnt fun lol

that's is funny yea immediately went to mheggeden too as the first creature to pair up and is casted turn 1.

Do you guys hard cast creatures?  Thinking about using pentagram to free up so actions to cast curses and use actions for other things.  I do also open with a battle forge because of all the equipment and I feel this book needs to be in face quickly after turn 3 when mheggeden is unleashed. 

I also really like Sanguine Hunters and feel they could combo with the pentagram so I would not have to deal damage to anything else except for lower level creatures or more hunters.  If I use pentagram I would cast it mid-late game just to get out the extra actions when attacking and keep the pressure on.  I am a little worried about mana efficiency if I do have the pentagram and  battle forge. 

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 11:53:53 AM »
I har casted and think i did mheg and crystal t1 then bf and imp t2. Then 3 equipments on t3? I think.

And yeah, i just hard casted everything

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 02:24:41 PM »
I'm surprised that no one mentions Raincloud! Minimum 2 Jet Streams are auto-include in any firebased mage I build. :)
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »
ב"ה
Each upkeep phase the average amount of damage you receive from burns is the number of burns you have. each burn also have a probability of 2/3 to remain next round as well. So a burn on average deals 1 damage on the first round, 2/3 damage on the second round, 4/9 damage on the 3rd round, 8/27 damage on the 4th round, and so on.
That means the average damage a burn deals before it rolls a black and get removed is 3 damage.
The curse adramelech touch make burn be something like rots that need some maintenance.

Warlocks are very fun, but I like burning things with the priest as well. The priest deal burns while he have a good chance to daze or stun his opponent, and with all of his healing that really make the game long enough so that the burns will have the time to do their work.