April 29, 2024, 09:38:20 AM

Author Topic: Mass tanglevine  (Read 6732 times)

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mass tanglevine
« on: March 09, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »
So many card suggestions these days, I thought I would try to write up one of those that I have wanted for a while.  :)

I don't know how to make the cool card art that some of the others are doing, so just text for this.

I have wanted a mass tanglevine, but it doesnt really work as a single card attached to multiple creatures, so I thought of using the vine tokens a bit creatively for this.

Name: Mass tanglevine (maybe mass snare/constriction or something since it isnt really tanglevines)
School: Nature 2
Range: 0-2
Target: Zone
Mana cost: 7?
Action cost: Full
Type: Incantation - vine, plant
For each creature in this zone, you may discard a vine marker from the zone and place a stuck condition on that creature.

Setup for this one may be very difficult, and a stuck marker is not as good as a tanglevine, so costs are low.

Another cool way to do something similar could be with a terrain.

Name: Constricting Vines
Mana cost: 10?
Action cost: Quick
Type: Conjuration - terrain, plant
Whenever you place a vine marker in this zone, you may place it on a creature. A creature with vine markers is restrained and unmovable. These vine markers may only be targeted by melee attacks and share a pool of life equal to the amount of vines on the creature.

I actually prefer this last one, with vine tree and vinewhip staff you can place 3 vines per round, so could potentially be strong. For clarification you could still lesser teleport out of these vines since creatures are not attached directly to a conjuration. The vines lose the ability to be targeted by other vine spells when used in this manner.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:55:11 AM by keejchen »
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mass tanglevine
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »

Name: Constricting Vines
Action cost: Quick
Type: Conjuration - terrain, plant
Whenever you place a vine marker in this zone, you may place it on a creature. A creature with vine markers is restrained and unmovable. These vine markers may only be targeted by melee attacks and share a pool of life equal to the amount of vines on the creature.

I actually prefer this last one, with vine tree and vinewhip staff you can place 3 vines per round, so could potentially be strong. For clarification you could still lesser teleport out of these vines since creatures are not attached directly to a conjuration. The vines lose the ability to be targeted by other vine spells when used in this manner.

If placing said vine marker on the creature (as though it is attached, thus creating the restrained effect), I would say Lesser Teleport wouldn't work since vine markers are living conjurations per the codex.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 08:33:56 AM »
I don't see that in the codex, can you provide a reference? As far as I know vine markers are just considered living objects, and then they have that Fragile trait that I think is unique to them.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 08:54:17 AM »
I don't see that in the codex, can you provide a reference? As far as I know vine markers are just considered living objects, and then they have that Fragile trait that I think is unique to them.

Sure- page 12 of Codex 3.1.

Vine Markers (Game Marker)
"Vine markers are a Living conjuration with 1 life, no armor, and they cannot gain armor. Vine markers hinder enemy non-Flying creatures. Any amount of damage will destroy a Vine Marker, regardless of its total life. They can’t be targeted by ranged attacks. Any number of Vine markers can occupy a zone."

No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
Ah, I was looking in the supplement.

Then that makes it a bit stronger I suppose.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 10:59:37 PM »
Not that I would, but if i were making a zonal tanglevine I'd do it this way:

Mass Tanglevine:
mana X life X nature level X
target:zone 0-1
whenever an enemy non-flying creature starts its action in this zone, they are -restrained- until the end of their action. All non-flying creatures in this zone are -unmovable-.

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 02:49:36 AM »
I actually really like that idea, so here is your variation as I would probably stat it

Name: Mass tanglevine
School: Nature 3
Range: 0-1
Action cost: Quick?
Type: Conjuration - vine, plant
Life 12, armor 0
Zone exclusive? - Regenerate 1
whenever an enemy non-flying creature starts its action in this zone, they are -restrained- until the end of their action. All non-flying creatures in this zone are -unmovable-.

Interesting to note that this time the lesser teleport works, because the conjuration is not attached to the creature.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:52:52 AM by keejchen »

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »
ב"ה
Currently, the mass-restrain in the game is the promo Sherean Leviathan. I think it should be tried some more before there would be other mass-restraining effect.
The vinewhip staff is a very powerful item even though it is restraining only a single creature each round.
Most books take at least one tanglevine, so I would be careful when considering more powerful versions of that spell.