April 26, 2024, 12:54:17 PM

Author Topic: Domination: Anyone ever use the V'Torrak?  (Read 3319 times)

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
Domination: Anyone ever use the V'Torrak?
« on: February 18, 2017, 09:00:47 PM »
My circle has been playing a fair bit of Domination recently, and not one of us has ever used, nor can see a time when it would be useful to use, the V'Torrak tile.

Our consensus is basically that it is not worth sacrificing a V'tar point unless you are already gaining more each turn than your opponents, and even if you are, you will almost certainly have better things to do with 7 mana rather than summon a Sslak with it.

Are we missing something here? The Domination rulebook seems to think that the V'Torrak is a great thing, very useful, but we can't see it.

Has anyone used the V'Torrak? Under what circumstances would it be worth giving up 10% of your victory points and a large chunk of your round's channelling, to summon a Sslak? 
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Domination: Anyone ever use the V'Torrak?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:25:28 AM »
We have used it exactly 0 times also. And I forgot it cost a V'tar.  Controlling a zone is often a big enough challenge. But I guess the idea is it acts like a spawn point, so you get a decent guard without using an action or sbp's. Might be worth it if you have Altar of the Iron Guard and it's a 2-orb zone that is about to be under contention (but currently has no enemy creatures... maybe you used Force Wave or Repulse at the end of the previous round?).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:43:21 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Domination: Anyone ever use the V'Torrak?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:42:26 PM »
We've never used it either. What iNano said- it's difficult enough maintaining control of a zone. Plus, I'm not sacrificing the one resource required to win. In our Domination games, victory usually comes by way of one point in almost every game.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung