March 29, 2024, 09:28:59 AM

Author Topic: Next Expansion?  (Read 37739 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Next Expansion?
« on: February 07, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »
Thought I'd cross post this from boardgamegeek. Some stores have apparently started allowing preorders for Mage Wars Academy: Warlord, and there's supposed to be another Academy expansion this year in addition to the Warlord. Think they'll be releasing Forcemaster alongside the Warlord like they did with Arena, or do you think they'll do something different? What do you think we'll see for the Warlord (and the other Mage) in the Academy?

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25010093#25010093

Iudicium86

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Next Expansion?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
Can't wait. Much Excite!
I welcome anything that can help Warlord.
Especially hopefully some level 2 War Creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
Searching that store for "Mage Wars Academy" reveals a preorder for Machtmeister, so it seems that it's Forcemaster.

As a playtester, would you be interested in confirming or denying these rumours? 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:37:21 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »
Searching that store for "Mage Wars Academy" reveals a preorder for Machtmeister, so it seems that it's Forcemaster.

As a playtester, would you be interested in confirming or denying these rumours?

That would be contrary to the NDA so I cannot confirm nor deny. ;)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:34:55 PM »
I can likewise not confirm or deny anything about your question iNano78 ;) :-X ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 08:15:16 AM »

As others have said, I can't confirm anything, all I can say is that I did not see that listed on the store myself. Hopefully that explains my original post and the vague prompts at speculation. I am ready to start seeing all the excitement and buzz around a future expansion again though. This lull where "the next thing" hasn't been announced or even hinted at is a bit unusual and not to my liking. Especially when people start thinking the sky is falling and the game is dead because nothing's been announced, and I know that we have so many exciting things in the works.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 08:55:19 AM »

As others have said, I can't confirm anything, all I can say is that I did not see that listed on the store myself. Hopefully that explains my original post and the vague prompts at speculation. I am ready to start seeing all the excitement and buzz around a future expansion again though. This lull where "the next thing" hasn't been announced or even hinted at is a bit unusual and not to my liking. Especially when people start thinking the sky is falling and the game is dead because nothing's been announced, and I know that we have so many exciting things in the works.

I for one am still exploring all the new possibilities from Academy Warlock/Priestess, PvS and Lost Grimoire v1, which were all clumped pretty closely together. Domination + Academy Core Set came out close together, but they were relatively easy to digest That is, aside from the new play modes, most of the cards in Domination and in the Academy Core were sort of "more of the same" as what we already had (e.g. a lot of Academy cards were analogous to, albeit slightly different than, some Arena cards). PvS and LGv1 have MANY cards that really shake up the meta! And not everybody in our area has those expansions yet, but are getting a taste as they play against players using some of the new cards. So "what's next" isn't even on our radar just yet.

But I can see why the "Academy only" players might be wondering what's next, as they just have the 4 mages with relatively few options at customization.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:57:07 AM by iNano78 »

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 10:04:05 AM »

Sergeant Schultz from Hogan's Heroes would famously say, "I Know nothing... NOTHNIG!!!"
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 10:16:44 AM »
Sorry dude, no confirmation or denial here.  :-X :-X :-X

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
Alternative news?!
Make Mage Wars great again! ;) :) ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
What do you mean you can't tell us? The information is clearly already out there. If stores are already allowing preorders of two new academy sets, and there aren't any other academy sets available for preorder, that means that those Academy sets will be coming out next. And considering that they're the warlord and the forcemaster (but in German, literally translated as "powermaster") I don't know how it could be any less obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Next Expansion?
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »
Oh btw I already made an academy fm theory crafting thread

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16279.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
It is probably not officially, so a playtester can not say anything yet.
But so that they do not say yes or no it already says everything!

So let's look forward to Academy Warlord and Forcemaster :) be happy!
The warlord is now much better than he was.
With new level one and two creatures.... we will see
I only hope the Warlord is not a Human, Dwarf or Orc is ok but i would like something new.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:13:05 PM by Karadox »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
The warlord is now much better than he was.
With new level one and two creatures.... we will see
I only hope the Warlord is not a Human, Dwarf or Orc is ok but i would like something new.

Right now, the only Level 1 War creatures are [mwcard=FWC05] Goblin Grunt[/mwcard]s and [mwcard=FWC04] Goblin Builder[/mwcard]s. It would definitely be nice to have more cheap War creature options, perhaps some that find strength in numbers, similar to Wychwood Hound (or even in combination like Steelclaw Cub/Matriarch).
**In comparison, Nature and Dark now each have 10 different Level 1 creatures; Holy has 6 including the Royal Armorer promo; Arcane only has 3, and that's including the promo Gorgon Spearthrower, but Wizards aren't really meant to be particularly swarmy; and Mind only has 1 = Meditating Monk who is Unique... but I'm not sure we'll see another Level 1 Mind creature in Academy (at least, that isn't also Unique/Legendary) since creature swarms wouldn't make sense thematically. A level 3-4 Mind school "buddy" might make sense in Academy, though, like a cheaper/weaker [mwcard=FWC08] Invisible Stalker[/mwcard]. There are currently no Level 3-4 Mind creatures.

Back to the Warlord:
A Dwarven "grunt" (perhaps "peon"?) would be cool, since the lowest level dwarves are currently Noble Vanguard (Level 2 = 1 Holy + 1 War), with several at Level 3 ([mwcard=MWSTX2FFC05]Anvil Throne Crossbowman[/mwcard], [mwcard=FWC01] Dwarf Kriegsbiel[/mwcard], [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC07] Dwarf Panzergarde[/mwcard], Dwarf Kriegshammer, [mwcard=FWC10] Ludwig Boltstorm[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC09] Otto Kronig, Master Engineer[/mwcard]).

Hopefully the new Warlord Mage himself will be a Goblin like the one pictured on the 4th printing of Dissolve, as per Sailor Vulcan's post. Of course, we're still waiting to see what "Minor Living Animal Creature" is pictured on both Badger Frenzy and Panther Stealth...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:33:34 PM by iNano78 »