April 27, 2024, 09:43:00 AM

Author Topic: Chant of Rage : the new Teleport  (Read 3601 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Chant of Rage : the new Teleport
« on: February 06, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »
During the first years of MW's existence, Teleport has been the card that could wreck "turtle" or "Fortress" builds.
In the meantime, the power of Teleport has been recognised and some countermeasures have been released.

So, is it easier now to build up strongly in 1 zone ?

I'm not sure, as a new turtle-breaker has arrived : Chant of Rage.

Since this spell is Lvl1 Mind or Dark, the two mages to benefit from it the most imo are the Forcemaster and Arraxian Crown Warlock. Both can easily carry 4 of these for just 4 sbp's and seriously disrupt the opposing mage's build up. (I see the number of CoR's go up in my books any time I play anyway)
( Siren is the third mage that can use it cheaply as she is Trained in Songs )

Instead of having to take on the opposing stronghold head-on, you can instead "cherrypick" from among the opposing creatures and make them come to you. ( divide and conquer )
This is a "must-react-to" play for the opponent that is likely going to cost him at least as much mana and likely more sbp's than you put into it or risk losing the creature if he doesn't react to it.

This works smoothly for the FM + Alandell book I have.
You can even cast the Chant of Rage from far away through a Mind's eye and set up Alandell ( or even a Spore ) with the hate token.
Being so cheap sbp wise you can load up on Rages and repeat multiple times, potentially forcing the enemy out of Dispels which may come back to bite him later.

Another thing to consider is that the best counters to Chant of Rage also belong to the mind school with Clear Mind and Mind Shield.

Another potentially very strong strategy imo is to let Chant of Rage combo with Rise Again.
Curseweaving makes the Arraxian Crown Warlock the ideal Mage for this strategy.
Use Chant of Rage to bring opposing living creatures to you and your Reaper, kill them and bring them back as Zombies with Rise Again. Build yourself an army using your opponent's actions and creatures and bring them to your side.
4 Chant of Rage + 2 Rise Again costs only 10 sbp's for an AC Warlock to include in his Spellbook.
Considering how powerful the combo can be, there's just no reason not to include it in your AC Warlock book, I think.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:44:13 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Chant of Rage : the new Teleport
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 10:11:46 AM »
It's good with Necro too, who also pays the minimum sbp cost. Sure, the Necro might also be fortressing, but he can use CoR to lure a "buddy" into a group of (generally Slow or Lumbering) zombies that otherwise have trouble keeping pace. And a zombie Necromancer already has supporting spells for a recycled zombie army via your Rise Again trick (e.g. [mwcard=DNI06]Zombie Frenzy[/mwcard]).

The more I play with PvS cards, the more I recognize the need for Psychic Immunity and/or direct counters to CoR / Song of Love / Lullaby (e.g. [mwcard=FWE08]Mind Shield[/mwcard], Clear Mind, more [mwcard=MW1I06]Dispel[/mwcard]s). And the more I play with those songs, too!

*edit* Another use for CoR is to mess with creatures that are busy doing something else; e.g. Cleric praying to a Temple or Altar or Dragon; creature guarding a V'tar orb (in Domination) or Mage. Siren's Call can do the same thing, of course.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:23:24 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:05:51 AM »
I agree that chant of rage is an amazing card. But I think the meta desperatly needed a card like that to counter passive plays. It is too easy to stay in your corner and make it a massive deathzone. The attacker will have to spend way too much positioning spells to get stuff out of there and you can always walk back in your corner. The attacker also cannot step into the zone since that's basically suicide. 

Edit: What I also like about COR is that, unlike teleport, it is only level 1 and is probably for no mage ever 3 spellbookpoints to include. That's why I'm very happy they made this dark OR mind. Currently, 5 out of 14 mages (or 4 out of 10 without alternate mages) are trained in it and the rest pays "only" 2 points for it. Teleport costs 6 points for warlords and even then they have no choice to include one. If a warlord uses teleport, the opponent can assume that he will not have another teleport left.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:40:13 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »
The best counter to Chant of Rage is to have more creatures than your enemy. If he reveals the enchantment on one of your creatures, you just move this creature at the end of the round, when all of your opponents creatures are already moved and cannot attack (Teleport is better in this regard)
New round, you have time to adapt to the song in many ways.

When combined with Traps or Passage attacks from walls, the Chant of Rage is brought to full potential. You also can get rid of a steadfast guard or block a spell from an annoying Familiar with it.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
Instead of having to take on the opposing stronghold head-on, you can instead "cherrypick" from among the opposing creatures and make them come to you. ( divide and conquer )
This is a "must-react-to" play for the opponent that is likely going to cost him at least as much mana and likely more sbp's than you put into it or risk losing the creature if he doesn't react to it.

Better yet, stick with Teleport, leave all the creatures where they are, and just pull the mage out by 4 zones and in the midst of your threats.