April 29, 2024, 11:13:49 AM

Author Topic: Tsunami pushes when things happen to the caster  (Read 5051 times)

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Tsunami pushes when things happen to the caster
« on: February 01, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »
ב"ה
Pushes are supposed to be directed away from the caster, but with tsunami the caster could be pushed or die during the casting so I wonder - What happens when the caster is pushed by his own spell?
Does the "Resolve phase" end immediately just like what happens it the caster teleports?
If not, for the purpose of pushes, is the source defined by the current zone or by the zone he was when cast the spell?
What happen if the caster dies during casting? [in cases it doesn't end the game, such as casting the spell from a wizard tower/naiya or in a multiplayer domination game]

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Tsunami pushes when things happen to the caster
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »
1) Correct push effects are always directly away from the caster
2) The game checks for "directly away" during each individual attack's "damage and effects" step.  Therefore, wherever the caster is at the time that it checks is the origin zone for referencing both Line of Sight AND "directly away".  Using your example, all creatures that were attacked before your caster reference the push from the original zone but all creatures attacked after your caster is pushed reference the new zone.
3) The source of Tsunami is the caster.  Wherever the caster is and whether the caster has Line of Sight determines whether a Tsunami attack can occur and where the push effect can go.
4) If the caster dies during Tsunami you finish the current zone and then the caster no longer has line of sight to any other zone (due to being dead) and Tsunami makes no further attacks.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

MrBubu

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:14:42 AM »
wait so tsunami does not necessarily push in the direction it is going? that seems wrong thematically oO

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 06:36:19 AM »
wait so tsunami does not necessarily push in the direction it is going? that seems wrong thematically oO

See here for discussion and an official ruling:
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=17161.msg73631#msg73631

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 06:40:27 AM »
This makes absolutely no sense to me.

I assumed this spell worked in a similar but different way then chain lightning from a thematic perspective.

From a thematical perspective, its not like the spell is cast again and again. You a summoning a big wave once that hits zone after zone in the direction its going and you are merely resolving the attacks one at a time, zone after zone.

Currently if you hit the zone your in you would also be pushed in the same zone as the rest of the creatures - the same zone that the tsunami is 'going'. So its not like you end up in another angel that would suddenly change the direction of Tsunami. Only Divine intervention allows you to change your position like this - and honostly that should not interfere with Tsunami direction.

Unless this card already has a clarification somewhere i would like to have it.

It kinda worries me that you speak about targetting after the first zone, because i assumed it would continue even though you 'pass' a wall that blocks LOS.

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 06:51:06 AM »
It all has to do with how Push works.  Tsunami does not have any special version of Push.  It follows standard push rules.  Honestly, this card has been a serious headache ever since PvS was released.  Remember it follows standard push rules and each zone is a separate attack sequence.  All attack sequences require Line of Sight.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 08:17:08 AM »
imo, Tsunami should have gotten a special ruling for push. Something like "the push effect is always in the direction of the movement of the Tsunami". This, and about LOS, could be added/fixed in the rules supplement.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 10:11:54 AM »
Wait. Tsunami stopps behind a wall because you would need LOS the whole time?

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 08:16:05 AM »
ב"ה
1) Correct push effects are always directly away from the caster
2) The game checks for "directly away" during each individual attack's "damage and effects" step.  Therefore, wherever the caster is at the time that it checks is the origin zone for referencing both Line of Sight AND "directly away".  Using your example, all creatures that were attacked before your caster reference the push from the original zone but all creatures attacked after your caster is pushed reference the new zone.
3) The source of Tsunami is the caster.  Wherever the caster is and whether the caster has Line of Sight determines whether a Tsunami attack can occur and where the push effect can go.
4) If the caster dies during Tsunami you finish the current zone and then the caster no longer has line of sight to any other zone (due to being dead) and Tsunami makes no further attacks.
Thanks for the answers :)
Why doesn't being pushed by your own tsunami end the spell immediately just like teleporting with divine intervention end spells immediately?
And if the tsunami caster dies and you keep targeting creatures in the same zone, were would they be pushed?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:19:37 AM by Super Sorcerer »

Puddnhead

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 08:54:31 AM »
Moving during the resolution of the spell does not affect the resolution.  Moving during the act of casting the spell i.e. during the counterspell step does fizzle the spell.

As for the caster dying, I'm fairly certain that it's how the game handles simultaneous effects.  There really are no perfectly simultaneous actions in Mage Wars.  The best we can do is immediately sequential actions.  So you roll each attack in sequence, but you are still resolving the action that occurred before the mage's death.  Since the spell still needs to be resolved you have to have a frame of reference for the push effect which means you'd have to use the last known position of the caster.

Not official, just my opinion, but I'd take it to the bank.  ;)

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 11:19:10 AM »
i have read several post about tsunami and several doubts i have.

1) When the spell is cast it do another attack to the same target when this is pushed to the next zone?
2) How many zones affects this spell?
3) if one enemy is pushed to the last zone , and is the wall arena, Does he suffers 3 attack dice?
4) Does this attack target walls?

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 12:05:48 PM »
i have read several post about tsunami and several doubts i have.

1) When the spell is cast it do another attack to the same target when this is pushed to the next zone?
2) How many zones affects this spell?
3) if one enemy is pushed to the last zone , and is the wall arena, Does he suffers 3 attack dice?
4) Does this attack target walls?

Yes, it attacks all objects in the zone, including creatures pushed there from the prior attack

Every zone in the direction the Tsunami is flowing, including the zone into which it is cast... walls are ignored for purposes of Taunami movement, but movement is subject to targeting  / line of sight.

Yes, a push in the last zone results in a wall bash.

No, the attack does not impact walls as they exist on the border of zones.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »
Are we sure Tsunami does not stop at a wall with the passage block trait and instead would cause the 3 dice bash attack?

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 02:06:07 PM »
A Creature being pushed into a wall with the Passage Blocked trait would undergo the bash. The push would not carry the Creature "over" the wall., but a Tsunami encountering such a wall would continue into the next zone past it (presuming that zone can be targeted by the caster), even without any such Creatures being pushed into it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:10:55 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess