April 28, 2024, 09:13:49 PM

Author Topic: ZombieMancer Try 2  (Read 4096 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
ZombieMancer Try 2
« on: January 20, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]ZombieMancer![/spellbookname]
[mage]A Necromancer Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]2 x Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J19]1 x Deathlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01J01]1 x Altar of Infernia[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J11]1 x Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J22]1 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ04]1 x Graveyard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1J02]1 x Gravikor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW02]2 x Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC22]3 x Zombie Brute[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC23]1 x Zombie Crawler[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC24]2 x Zombie Minion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC19]1 x Venomous Zombie[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC15]1 x Skeletal Minion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC02]2 x Deathfang[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]2 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE03]2 x Chant of Rage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E27]1 x Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]2 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]2 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]1 x Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]1 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E02]2 x Arcane Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLE01]1 x Curse Item[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]2 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO34]1 x Chitin Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q08]1 x Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q04]1 x Leather Chausses[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSI01]4 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI03]1 x Disarm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI02]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI06]1 x Zombie Frenzy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI03]2 x Lesser Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Very similar to the orginal. Among other things, I've swapped in some deathfangs in case i need to pressure and a skelly minion for guarding. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:14:47 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: ZombieMancer Try 2
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »
Very similar to the orginal. Among other things, I've swapped in some deathfangs in case i need to pressure and a skelly minion for guarding. Thoughts?

Skeleton Minion doesn't make a very durable guard. You already have the Brutes, which are terrific in that role (albeit a lot more expensive). I'd much rather have another Zombie Crawler instead of a Skelly Minion.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 09:51:05 PM »

Skeleton Minion doesn't make a very durable guard. You already have the Brutes, which are terrific in that role (albeit a lot more expensive). I'd much rather have another Zombie Crawler instead of a Skelly Minion.
Likely will change back. What do you think of the deathfangs or the rest of the deck in general?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:56:03 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:00:51 PM »
Likely will change back. What do you think of the deathfangs?

Definitely gives you a speedy option to change up the pace. Give it a try and see how often you play them. You don't have the usual skelly synergies (e.g. reconstruct through incantations or Mort), but it could surprise your opponent when they think they can outrun all your dudes.

I used to include a few Darkfenne Bats for a similar reason: faster than zombies, can get over walls, help against opposing flyers, and can fuel the Plaguemaster direct damage ability. But they don't work well with Idol of Pestilence (which I play often), so I rarely played them and ended up dropping them from the book. But your Deathfangs don't have that drawback, so... sure, give them a try and report back!  :)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:03:10 PM »
Likely will change back. What do you think of the deathfangs?

Definitely gives you a speedy option to change up the pace. Give it a try and see how often you play them. You don't have the usual skelly synergies (e.g. reconstruct through incantations or Mort), but it could surprise your opponent when they think they can outrun all your dudes.

I used to include a few Darkfenne Bats for a similar reason: faster than zombies, can get over walls, help against opposing flyers, and can fuel the Plaguemaster direct damage ability. But they don't work well with Idol of Pestilence (which I play often), so I rarely played them and ended up dropping them from the book. But your Deathfangs don't have that drawback, so... sure, give them a try and report back!  :)
They are also better vs mind's eye. Anything you would flat out remove/want to add?
The Phoenix shall rise.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 10:11:05 PM »
They are also better vs mind's eye. Anything you would flat out remove/want to add?

Do you often play against Forcemasters? What is it about Mind's Eye scares you? I get that it's flying, but I don't see why that matters too much to you. Zombies are Psychic immune, so there aren't too many spells you're afraid of. Maybe Acid Balls from Thoughspores? (gets around Resilient to some extent) Chant of Rage will largely take care of 'Spores. Swapping a Surging Wave for a Jetstream would give you another weapon vs. 'Spores, especially if it pushes it into an arena wall... although it isn't Unavoidable.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »

Do you often play against Forcemasters? What is it about Mind's Eye scares you? I get that it's flying, but I don't see why that matters too much to you. Zombies are Psychic immune, so there aren't too many spells you're afraid of. Maybe Acid Balls from Thoughspores? (gets around Resilient to some extent) Chant of Rage will largely take care of 'Spores. Swapping a Surging Wave for a Jetstream would give you another weapon vs. 'Spores, especially if it pushes it into an arena wall... although it isn't Unavoidable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7mmqwgBeLw
This is why.
The Phoenix shall rise.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »
This is why.

Do you want a book built specifically to beat a meditating Forcemaster who turtles in her zone with 2+ Thoughtspores and 2+ Minds Eyes? If so... you'll probably want to change out 80% of your spell book.

In the video, it looks like Gravikor was too-little-too-late; the Necro needed to close distance earlier (preferably with some armor, regrowth, or other protections), then summon bigger zombies closer to the Spores, then take out the Spores ASAP. Use (Lesser) Teleports to get your zombies on top of the Spores and don't let up until the Forcemaster runs out of them. Then hope you can beat the Forcemaster in a damage race.

But that's a pretty unusual Forcemaster strategy (or at least it was before that video was posted). I'm not keeping up with the OCTGN tournaments, so if you're scheduled to play against Sailor Vulcan's Forcemaster and you're looking for advice, then you probably shouldn't be asking for book-building assistance in a public forum... or should be a little more transparent about it up front. (I honestly don't know if that's what you're doing)

All I know is a Necro zombie swarm usually wants to overwhelm an opponent with a horde as the primary goal, and as always, you will have to adapt to whatever your opponent might throw at you. It's hard to build for every possibly match-up, but you try to have a main strategy and a plan for some of your tougher/liklier match-ups and do the best you can. Minds Eye will be tough for a lot of mages. My best guess is to try to keep the pressure on. Dissolve the Meditation Amulet ASAP maybe, so the Forcemaster can't afford to power both Thoughspores (?).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:44:00 PM by iNano78 »

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »
This is why.

Do you want a book built specifically to beat a meditating Forcemaster who turtles in her zone with 2+ Thoughtspores and 2+ Minds Eyes? If so... you'll probably want to change out 80% of your spell book.

In the video, it looks like Gravikor was too-little-too-late; the Necro needed to close distance earlier (preferably with some armor, regrowth, or other protections), then summon bigger zombies closer to the Spores, then take out the Spores ASAP. Use (Lesser) Teleports to get your zombies on top of the Spores and don't let up until the Forcemaster runs out of them. Then hope you can beat the Forcemaster in a damage race.

But that's a pretty unusual Forcemaster strategy (or at least it was before that video was posted). I'm not keeping up with the OCTGN tournaments, so if you're scheduled to play against Sailor Vulcan's Forcemaster and you're looking for advice, then you probably shouldn't be asking for book-building assistance in a public forum... or should be a little more transparent about it up front. (I honestly don't know if that's what you're doing)

All I know is a Necro zombie swarm usually wants to overwhelm an opponent with a horde as the primary goal, and as always, you will have to adapt to whatever your opponent might throw at you.
The answer to all your questions is no.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 02:14:42 AM »
Hi!

As you know im a big fan of Deathfangs, especially early on.

Heres a few comments:

Meditation Amulet Im not so sure on that one anymore. Do you really need it? None of your creatures are really expensive. Besides standing still makes it hard to cast your zone exclusive conjurations.

Gravikor? Great vs flying, but i think i prefer 2 Maim Wings instead, and save 2 spellbook points. I worry a lot more vs non-living and ethereal.

Elemental Wand is expensive spellbookpoint wise, and hard to use if you want to Meditate.

Great if you can Deathlock and use Idol of Pestilence to make him come to you, but its not totally reliable anymore.

Id like another Venomous Zombie - just to try and get the Plaugemaster thin going.

And on OCTGN, id add a Screaming Zombie - gives you a bit of both antiflyer and Ethereal counter.

Anyway without any changes the book look good to me.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever