April 28, 2024, 08:25:00 PM

Author Topic: Thoughtspore and "Gain X Mana"  (Read 1801 times)

MrBubu

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Thoughtspore and "Gain X Mana"
« on: January 19, 2017, 02:25:47 AM »
I recently saw a game online, where one player bound a Crumble to a Thoughtspore. Each time it cast the Incantation the Mage gained the Mana. Is this correct?
My reading would have been, that the caster, i.e. the Thoughtspore gains 2 Mana.
Same goes for Remove Curse.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:43:30 AM by MrBubu »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughtspore and "Gain X Mana"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 03:53:26 AM »
There's a few things that go into this. First, we need to remember that the Mage actually represents the Player within the game. The Mage is the Player and the Player is the Mage. You are the Mage. (See the Codex section for Mage)

Second, you need to recognize that all card text is written as though it is talking directly to the Player. Whenever it tells you to do something, it means you the player/mage.

Now, the directions on Crumble are a little ambiguous. It doesn't actually specify who should gain the mana. But, let's forget about Mage Wars for a moment and imagine a normal conversation. If I am talking to you directly, looking right at you, and say "Pass the salt," would that be a confusing statement since I haven't specified who I'd like to pass it? I don't think so. It is normal in English grammar (I don't know about other languages) that when you're talking directly to someone and give them a direction or make a request of them, you don't have to specify "you" as it is assumed.

So, now when we look back at Crumble, it seems reasonable that when it gives the direction "gain 2 mana" that this is directed at the person being spoken to. You the player/mage.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:56:11 AM by Zuberi »

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughtspore and "Gain X Mana"
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 08:49:32 AM »
zuberi, i would like to take a moment and say thanks for all of your contributions to this forum. it is always excellent and extremely helpful to all of us here, experienced and new arrivals alike. thanks man.