April 29, 2024, 02:18:53 PM

Author Topic: Necro: skelly or Zombie  (Read 3864 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Necro: skelly or Zombie
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »
which one does everyone perfer. I've always had a soft spot for skellies, but want a broader perspective.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Necro: skelly or Zombie
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »
I have always preferred skeletons myself. They play much more like a holy book in that you can heal them. Zombies feel more die based to me in that you are trusting your enemy to roll an average number (or fewer) of crits and just overwhelm them with a frenzy.

All that said, I'm not really a necro player.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »
ב"ה
A zombie necromancer makes a "rush me or lose" game. When there are too many zombies, they necromancer make them frenzy and the other mage just die. But with all zombies being bloodthirsty and all but the brutes being pests, the zombie necromancer can't really rely on guards unless he bring other creatures as well, so there is some vulnerability to rushes.
I like better the skeleton necromancer, because skeletons make a great excuse for an armory, and I just like armories :) It is a nice card that I just like to play. 

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »
To this I say: Can't it be both?

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 05:56:56 PM »
It can be both but the true power of a necro comes from focusing on one style per book. Its fine to have one that has both, like one of my skeleton necros has a ravaging ghoul in it just to clean up the battlefield and get bigger late game, but its often best to focus on one type to better promote synergy in the book.

To answer the op, i prefer skeletons knowing full well that zombies are more powerful.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 10:38:27 PM »
I ran zombies because resilient is amazing and you have no healing spells for them so its 1 less thing to worry about. Skeletons mostly have no armor so that can be an issue but it all comes to how you play each style. Both creature types are very mana efficient.

Because everything is undead you dont have to worry about all the "crucial" enchants that target living creatures and it lets you have more sbp to devote to your creatures.

I prefer zombies.
But i will say whichever you choose dont be shy about taking the other because you can make up for the weak spots in your strat.
Ex. Using deathfamg for fast or the archer for range in a zombie helps and a plague zombie eternal servant for rot helps in a skeleton book.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 05:47:34 PM »
Zombies, particularly Brutes. But then I run Brutes in lots of books, not just Necromancers, and Not just Dark Mages...

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 05:51:40 PM »
It doesnt have to be either.

Only reason for that is zombie frenzy which is rarely used anyway.

Iudicium86

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 06:37:25 PM »
I use Skeletons. I think they're cooler. And they're able to heal, even if you lay down a Deathlock.
Plus I don't currently use an Armory, but I do like the option in knowing I can as my spellbook evolves.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock