April 27, 2024, 01:16:06 PM

Author Topic: My first Warlock  (Read 3173 times)

bpd83

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
My first Warlock
« on: January 13, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
So this is my first post, I've played a handful of games over OCTGN.  This game is my new love affair, but I'm having a hard time learning the strategy thus far.  I've put together a deck for the Warlock (The OOTB Warlock, not the Forged in Fire) and I guess I wanted some feedback from the community as to what I should be focusing on with this build as it is and what cards I should be looking at.

A Mage Wars Spellbook, built using the OCTGN SBB 1/13/2017 2:06 PM

Spellbook points: 120 used of 120 allowed

Key: Quantity - Spell Name - Spell Level - Spellbook Cost - Total Spellbook Cost

Warlock

---  Attack  ---
1 - Fireball - 2 - 2 - 2
1 - Flameblast - 1 - 1 - 1
2 - Ring of Fire - 2 - 2 - 4
2 - Devil's Trident - 2 - 2 - 4
1 - Hurl Rock - 1 - 2 - 2

---  Conjuration  ---
2 - Wall of Bones - 1 - 1 - 2
1 - Battle Forge - 2 - 3 - 3

---  Creature  ---
2 - Dark Pact Slayer - 3 - 3 - 6
2 - Blood Demon - 3 - 3 - 6
1 - Flaming Hellion - 3 - 3 - 3
2 - Afflicted Demon - 2 - 2 - 4
2 - Firebrand Imp - 1 - 1 - 2
1 - Adramelech, Lord of Fire - 6 - 6 - 6

---  Enchantment  ---
2 - Nullify - 1 - 2 - 4
1 - Harmonize - 1 - 2 - 2
2 - Agony - 1 - 1 - 2
2 - Death Link - 2 - 2 - 4
1 - Cobra Reflexes - 2 - 4 - 4
2 - Demonic Link - 1 - 1 - 2
2 - Rust - 1 - 2 - 4
2 - Ghoul Rot - 2 - 2 - 4
2 - Curse Item - 2 - 2 - 4
2 - Poisoned Blood - 1 - 1 - 2
2 - Demonic Bloodlust - 1 - 1 - 2

---  Equipment  ---
1 - Dragonscale Hauberk - 1 - 1 - 1
1 - Regrowth Belt - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Eye of Bael - 1 - 1 - 1
1 - Bloodfire Helmet - 1 - 1 - 1
1 - Demonhide Armor - 2 - 2 - 2
1 - Elemental Cloak - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Leather Gloves - 1 - 1 - 1
1 - Deflection Bracers - 1 - 2 - 2
1 - Leather Boots - 1 - 1 - 1
2 - Lash of Hellfire - 2 - 2 - 4
1 - Fireshaper Ring - 1 - 1 - 1

---  Incantation  ---
2 - Dissolve - 1 - 2 - 4
2 - Seeking Dispel - 1 - 2 - 4
3 - Dispel - 1 - 2 - 6
1 - Explode - 2 - 2 - 2
1 - Teleport - 2 - 4 - 4
1 - Lesser Teleport - 1 - 1 - 1
1 - Force Push - 1 - 2 - 2

Thank you so much if you help me out and in this early process of learning Mage Wars.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: My first Warlock
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »
Welcome to the game! :)

If you are playing ac warlock im not sure if i would take the flaming hellion. As the lady warlock you get a lot of bang for your buck with the hellion. The synergy isnt super great with the ac warlock. You could use those points on more curses or another creature even.

2 curse item, 2 dissolve, and 1 explode seema a little overkill on equipment. If your meta runs high equip builds then it could work but overall i think you would be ok to drop 1 curse item. Also exploding a dragonscale hauberk is so fun! :)

Harmonize could be dropped. By the time you harmonize the forge you could have casted more equipment yourself. Also they dont need more reasons to take out your forge :b

Also, take a look at demonhide mask over the helmet. It gives piercing on all attacks so range and melee.

I like the bloodlust and demonic link :)
But if you are using curse weaving pick out. A few curses to try and throw them in, even if its 1 copy.

Lastly, check out rise again and mage bane. Both excellent cards!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
strategy for the ac warlock is kind of difficult. he has melee plus one, and curse weaving. you can be a beater, various creature support, and curses not to mention some dramatic incantations. a challenging first swag for a new player. it is easy to see how you can get overwhelmed by options.

perhaps narrowing the curses that support your melee while having creatures that work well too. your creatures are decent, but with the nine channeling, may be hard pressed to get them going in any numbers. casting so many creatures also ha,pers your move,ent towards battle. of course you can ignore melee theme and focus instead on creatures and curses. i would agree that the assessment on equipment destruction a little heavy. i would change the hurl rock to another fireball and use a creature that does not deal flame damage so you do not need the rock. and you do have flame creatures which will help against nature mages, druid especially.

so the main point is to try to narrow down some of these choices to focus on a couple more strongly.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 11:06:04 AM »

2 curse item, 2 dissolve, and 1 explode seema a little overkill on equipment. If your meta runs high equip builds then it could work but overall i think you would be ok to drop 1 curse item. Also exploding a dragonscale hauberk is so fun! :)

Having multiple removal cards are a great idea. I normally take 2 disarm, 2-3 dissolve, and a crumble. I personally find explode to be too expensive. Curse item is great for regen items. Add a theft of life in that mix  and your opponent will be reaching for his dispels. It does depend on your meta, but I find in a game where there are soo many slots that you can chuck armor and other funky effects that can really ruin your day then having the tools for the job is the best way to be prepared.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »
ב"ה
I see 10 creatures without a pentagram and without any mana crystals.
How do you intend to kill the enemy mage?
If you are going to swarm him, then you need a pentagram. If you are going to melee attack him, then you would want a bear's strength and a vampirism. If you want to kill him with attack spells, then you should have hawkeye. If you want the curses to kill him then Magebane should be included.

What does this book supposed to do?

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 01:18:01 PM »
so the main point is to try to narrow down some of these choices to focus on a couple more strongly.

This is the soundest advice for a new player. Focus on a solid plan A.

1. Concept
How am I going to win? Equals how do I efficiently and consistently kill their mage? Do I use lots of smaller creatures? Do I focus on big brutes? Do I have a single creature that is my "Buddy"? Are attack spells my focus? Do I control how my opponent plays and give him tough choices to make?

2. Cards
What cards support my concept? I am not going to fill up on attack spells if my focus is small buffed creatures.

3. Mana
Will I have enough mana to cast what I want to do? What channeling do I need to keep things gonig my way.

4. Problems
How can my opponent stop me from being efficient? How do I deal with high armor? What problems shut my book down and how do I combat them?

I think you did well for a first attempt, Big props for having the guts to ask us what we think too! There is no real right or wrong answer for book building, just more and less optimal ways of building. It depends mostly on who you play against and how finely tuned and nasty their books are. Some cards are better for optimal for some levels of play but in certain gaming groups you will get butchered playing them. It all comes from experience.