April 25, 2024, 11:08:52 PM

Author Topic: Adapting to what the enemey is doing  (Read 4360 times)

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Adapting to what the enemey is doing
« on: January 02, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »
This is one aspect of MW I am terrible at. For example, I played Charmyna and got crushed. I was playing killzone siren and let his temple build up. The game was over with no damage. Please help.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Adapting to what the enemey is doing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »
Could you maybe be a bit more specific than that? What exactly did you try? What specific play mistakes did you make? did you try asking charmyna for feedback at the end of the game? post-game conversations are often quite helpful.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 09:39:08 PM »
Being crushed by Charmyna is quite normal, nothing to worry about :)

Is there a video?  Would make feedback easier.

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 05:16:39 AM »
Basically, i tend to stick to whatever I want to do and not reacting to what the enemy is doing. This happens more if the enemy is using a builder/long game type of deck.
The Phoenix shall rise.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »
Basically I would just use that match as a template for what you could change in types of matches or openings with this format.  This game is a really high percentage of calculating what the opponent is going to do, so if you are winning some games I would not worry too much.  That said I don't know if you can really have a set game plan every single match.  You must try and be fluid with decisions and change accordingly if things get out of control.   If your book is built for long games you need to make it a longer book.  If you have a window to kill your opponent earlier you need to develop a faster plan to attack or mess with your opponent.  If you are playing a control deck and have a hard time figuring when to do what move, I think that just takes time and experience to figure those things out. 

Also if your playing against a holy school Mage having 0 damage on them is not uncommon especially because of all the ways they could defend, support, and heal themselves. Holy school is also in my opinion one of the best schools now with all the expansions that have came out last year.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:37:24 PM by farkas1 »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »
Being flexible in your strategy is more of a matter for you to figure out in many ways. Your book will have specific strengths and weaknesses for different strategies, some you don't even realize are there. The best way to extend your strategies is to always be looking for the best thing you can do in any given turn, and to look at your book to see what you wish you had done on any given turn. When those don't match, keep an eye out for that set of circumstances in the future and go with the plan you wish you had used. If it works for you, you have a new strategy.

I had similar issues with my necromancer at first. It's built to run 2 spawnpoints, two crystals, two harmonizes, and a ring for maximum returns. Most everyone on here will tell you 3.5 turns of mana harvesting is a bad idea. So I worked on a number of different openings and trying different tactics. I can run much leaner and meaner with one spawn point, or open with two but time the use of spells so that I'm pumping zombies out starting from turn 2.

The point is, you can always make what you have work differently, and you can always figure out what doesn't work and replace it.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 01:06:07 PM »
I believe the best way to be adaptable, apart from having the tools you need, is knowing your book. The more you know your book, have played with it etc, you will be more confident and able to read certain situations.
Many times i have played a book i am not very familiar with and even though i know what could or should work i still find myself going "humahnah humahnah humahnah humahnah" and end up botching that round and the game.

Knowing what tools to have is part of it but you can make any tools work for you as long as you are familiar with them and what they can do. Just keep practicing and look for new ways to use the cards
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 01:13:27 PM »
I agree 100% with Dr Mambo. A good versatile book that you practice with constantly will take you far. I also stress the need to fight a variety of enemies and to practice under disadvantaged conditions.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 04:08:31 PM »
ב"ה
Unless I play a necromancer, in which case I just know that the only opponent that could take my in a long game is another necromancer, I always have a fast game back up plan with every book.
Having two possible plan s is the beginning of reacting to opponent.
About truly versatile books that plan to spoil the opponent's plan, I make them only with wizards. A gate to voltary book with lots of mana crystals in the opening and lots of spells that their only purpose is foiling the opponent plans, allow me to play a reactive mage that just react to his opponent while building a force of creatures.

There are some spells that are made only for reactions to the opponent, such as dispels and dissolves. Some players also take force hammer to use it as a possible reaction to conjurations.

There was one game recorded by arcane duels where a wizard won a game entirely by reaction when his opponent's book just ran out of useful things-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgFVtxVPmPQ

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 05:17:09 PM »
I can say from 1st hand experience that a priestess can win the long game against a long game focused necro book.

Devilsvendetta priestess is legit and i play a long game necro. He has taken me out more times than i him.
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns