April 27, 2024, 07:23:23 AM

Author Topic: Archmage custom cards  (Read 30899 times)

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Archmage custom cards
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2017, 09:53:45 PM »
Sorry, my apologies. Yes, the aspect tokens are on the first page. There was just no way to fit token descriptions on the card.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Milevan_Faent

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2017, 09:55:26 PM »
Sorry, my apologies. Yes, the aspect tokens are on the first page. There was just no way to fit token descriptions on the card.

Its fine. It's not like the Paladin doesn't set a precedent for it. Thanks for telling me.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »
Couple new critters for you. The idea behind the last one was easy. Zombie biomass evolution. I'll give these a little more introduction.

First up is Raimbaut the holy/war knight. He's reasonable for his cost against smaller creatures. Comes with high armor, health, melee, and a dodge. This alone would make him the strongest knight right out of the gate. His special attack is what actually sets him apart. This Knight is meant to be a destroyer of legends and even other epic creatures, and his Grand cleave attack reflects that. He is meant to be the strong arm of the High Marshall against extremely high threat creatures.

Second is Tahrunen. I had to kick around a few ideas for him, but I like what I ended up with. Tahrunen is designed to focus the Archdemon's hate on an enemy and reward them for it. His stats are good, of course, but it is his synergy with curses that let's him shine. Just as he makes the Archdemon focus his hate on one creature, an enemy should focus his hate on Tahrunen, or he just might stay alive for quite a while.

...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »
Last ones from me, for now. The Lord of Beasts' creature will be coming from Silverclaw Grizzly.

Second to last is the nymph's epic creature, Gelump. A simple name for a simple creature. He grapples enemy creatures so that he can eat them. When he does, his stomach continues the attack, dissolving the unfortunate into sustenance for him. This creature takes the power of Corrode to a new level. Level 2 creatures are very likely to die if they do not escape before the first attack of digestion and stronger creatures will come out horribly weakened by the corrode.

Last up is the Sage's epic creature. Arcana is pure force channeled by his mage and by the mage's followers. Where one cleric may only roll 2-3 dice and have difficulty punching through the armor of stronger targets, they can instead lend their strength to Arcana to create a collectively more powerful punch. I expect Arcana to have the largest dice pools of any creature in the Archmage format, easily.

I'll get the last creature up when it is ready, and then we can begin the playtesting.

...ergh...argh...

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »
Again, amazing work Jason.

Arcana is very cool. Is it supposed to be living though? Most (I think all other?) incorporeal creatures also have the non-living trait.

I began creating a book with your rules, but came up with a question: What is your stance on card limitations?

To be clear, I mean in academy, mages may bring 3 lvl 1 spells and 2 of any lvl 2+. In arena it is 6/4. It would make sense to me that archmages could stretch the limitations even further.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2017, 06:57:59 AM »
For Arcana, I used to have nonliving on him until I remembered that Incorporeal grants nonliving. Not sure why they spelled it out on the invisible stalker unless incorporeal had a codex update after FMvW was released.

In terms of spell limits, I'm not quite sure yet. I think 9/6 wouldn't be too much. Part of me wants to extend the legend rule as well, but that could cause serious issues.

At 9/6, the steelclaw matriarch would be hard to manage, but a potentially nastier attacker than I ever imagined.
...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
Last epic going up. Also posting a couple updates to old channeling cards.

First, the epic. Isevae, Lord of the Hunt is a little different from the other epics so far. She encourages a bit of a pack mentality by giving friendly canines in her zone the bloodthirsty +1 trait. Since she can freely leave the zone, her canine friends can follow after her regardless of damaged creatures in the zone. She comes with relatively high health since she does not have the other mitigating factors like a dodge, regen, incorporeal, etc. She has lower dice than most epics, but comes in with much higher versatility.

The other two cards are just a stronger form of the moonglow amulet and the harmonize cards.

...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
Haven't gotten a chance to test just yet. Really hoping to get to it soon. In the meantime, here's some more creatures. Gonna keep working on this as if it were a set, which means there will be a ton of spells and niches to fill.

...ergh...argh...

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »
Nice.

Does Bone Golem need the Undead subtype?

Also, what is your source of images? You have an amazing collection of cool art for these cards. Are you the artist?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2017, 08:08:58 AM »
Yeah. He should be undead. Really need to up my proof read game.

Source is largely google image search. I am just nitpicky about what I put on the card. The only image I in any way worked on was the bone golem. He was the best candidate by far, but had no background. Took him, put him in a swamp picture, adjusted tint and applied a little blur to match the impressionist background a little better.

Original parts:

http://orig08.deviantart.net/df2b/f/2012/156/7/7/bone_golem_by_u_ra_cil-d52ff5x.jpg

https://images6.alphacoders.com/311/311663.jpg

Thinking the edges of the golem need a little blur or something. Largely self taught PS user, so I just try my best each time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:14:35 AM by JasonBourneZombie »
...ergh...argh...

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2017, 08:25:36 AM »
3 Armor For a Skeleton, i don't know maybe give him more life and remove 1-2 Armor?

add 5+ life and remove 2 armor???

I have an idea for the eagle, if he attacks a non-flying creature he could get Fast and / or unavoidable
swoop on his prey :)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:37:45 AM by Karadox »
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2017, 08:42:17 AM »
The armor is actually the sticking point of the Golem. Rather than have a defense or a significant increase in attack power vs the other skeletons, he has armor.

If he did lose 2 armor, his health would be sitting around 23-24 instead. A possibility, but I'm not sure it would be fun digging for that many damage counters.
...ergh...argh...

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
Yes maybe, but we have the Earth Elemental to... and 3 Armor makes no realy sense for a Skeleton Construct.
Even the Skeleton Dragon has Armor only the Skeletal Knight with its rusted Armor has 1.

What about: during the supply phase remove a Skeleton from your discard Pile, reconstruct X Life from
 Bone Golem X = 2 times the lvl from the Skeleton you removed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:04:35 AM by Karadox »
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

Alex

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2017, 08:54:29 AM »
I really like all these ideas. Perhaps some Balances are needed. Hopefully Arcane Wonders like them too.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2017, 09:04:17 AM »
The idea is that he is made of solid bone, where the average animal body has gaps in certain areas, most importantly the arms, legs, and chest. Maybe 3 armor is a tad high, but 1 armor is the realm of someone wearing leather, which is too weak for what I want. 2 armor and 18 life?

I'm hoping to stay away from the Lich destroying cards in his graveyard since his ability is to resummon from the grave. I try to avoid using sardonyx as a measuring stick of how skeletons operate. He is quite the exception to a lot of rules.

I really like all these ideas. Perhaps some Balances are needed. Hopefully Arcane Wonders like them too.

Thanks, Alex. I imagine there is plenty of balancing to be done, but hopefully not too many ideas are way off target.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:18:33 AM by JasonBourneZombie »
...ergh...argh...