April 29, 2024, 11:56:14 AM

Author Topic: Archmage custom cards  (Read 31129 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Archmage custom cards
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
Stun is to strong to be able to target a mage with.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:01:42 PM by silverclawgrizzly »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »
You're right. I was working on the edit for that (my original notes had non-mage as well) when a call came in and I lost my train of thought. Fixing now...
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 06:06:17 AM »
How are you making these card images?

Archmage cards are made from a template I made in Photoshop. Definitely not an exact match, but you get the idea.

Spawnpoints are being made with the magic set editor and a number of resources I found in a forum post a long ways back.

Beef them up btw. Meant to post this earlier.

Anyone else? Gonna take a bit to change up things. Some archmages may straight up not exist when I'm done.

My vote would be additional training and strong enough to battle 3 regular mages. I love the idea of a Battlegrounds expansion that supports another multi-player format.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 06:09:27 AM »
If the Dryad and Oceanid are Spirits shouldn't they be Incorporeal too to be consistent?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2017, 06:23:35 AM »
If the Dryad and Oceanid are Spirits shouldn't they be Incorporeal too to be consistent?

For the Dryad, definitely not. She's a spirit that always has a body of plants which are corporeal. The Oceanid if anything would have resilient to match the water elemental. I really do not think there should be a resilient mage, though.
...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »
Alright, since I haven't really gotten a lot of feedback but what I have gotten indicates they should be stronger, the archmages will generally see a 3 point channeling bump, an additional 1/6 health, more fiddling with armor and base melee, and they'll be level 12.

Ideas for mages aren't as cemented at this point as they were when I started the thread, but here's a thought or two.

The Oceanid and Dryad get folded together to make the Nymph. She'll have nature, water, and songs in-school. She's representing the idea of magic as a natural concept, and should have abilities in line with that. Fire and War are triple since they aren't really concepts that work well with it.

Warlord, priest/ess, and High marshall all combine into the High Marshall. This mage will have training in all holy, and all war. He will pay triple for mind and darkness, being a martial master and unfamiliar with curses or telekinetic tricks.

The Lich will combine lightly with the enchanter and the archon. He'll have full darkness training, will count as a mind mage for psychic spells, and training in metamagic. He'll be playing the part of the wizard that dabbled in dark magic and 'ascended'. Paying triple for nature and holy is just good sense.

The Cambion will be combining with the larger half of the Archon to make the Archdemon (unoriginal name, I know, but it is a clearly defined position within demonology). He will have training in darkness, fire, and force spells. I'm thinking he will have excellent stats up front, but maybe unable to use some types of equipment. Expect his opening attack and armor to mirror Adramelech a fair bit, so maybe he doesn't need the equipment. Holy and water will cost triple. No real avoiding the undead and demonic mages hating holy.

Lord of beasts will not be combining with anything. He's just expanding a little bit. He will have the Nature school and training in animal and command spells. This is just a small buff, really. More will be put into the mage's abilities than anything. Still fire triple.

Final archmage will be a return of the Archon to the Sage idea. The Sage will be trained in non-creature arcane, mind, and clerics. This gives him quite a nice toolbox up front. Expect this mage to have some resilience to it.

Gonna take a while to reimagine everything. Be back with more later.
...ergh...argh...

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »
If you're wanting play test you'll need the mages plus arch mage only cards outside the lairs.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 07:14:24 AM »
Realizing the archedmon can't be too powerful out of the gate or he'll just rush in to kill everything. Rebalancing...
...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2017, 12:27:39 PM »
Been a while. Been away from the forums doing some work. Here's what I've got so far. You'll note the new bar that says COUNTS AS:.  This is the only real space I could devote to giving Archmages access to mage only stuff. Some mages have more 'training' in this than others.

Not too many surprises or changes. Archdemon got armor and a better attack over the Cambion. Lich got 1 armor, an altered version of contagion, and the ability to hard cast his undead creatures from the discard pile. The high marshall has much of the Strategos' abilities plus he automatically places vet tokens. Mages all have increased health and increased channeling. Should make them a little more capable.
...ergh...argh...

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
What if contagion allowed you to stack conditions on the same target? I get the benefit and theme of spreading diseases but inflaming someone's also makes sense.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2017, 06:57:08 AM »
I can remove the 'other' to do that. There still has to be the option of spreading them, though.

Without spreading them, it's too weak and easily removed by a priestess/purify. There are also poison conditions that don't stack well. Weak only works to a point. I had placed the 'other' in there to keep the cost of the ability down. I wasn't sure what the third ability was going to be, but knew it needed some room budget wise.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:05:03 AM by JasonBourneZombie »
...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 07:10:05 AM »
And the second half of the updated Archmages. I caught that the Jungle's Heart had a full action cast, and updated it, but haven't exported the image yet.

From here on out, I hope to be doing only minor updates on the Archmages and running full steam ahead on creating their equipment, familiars, and maybe a legend apiece.
...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 02:03:16 PM »
Alright. Some rough draft familiars are here. I'm thinking they can have up to 2 spells planned per turn. Bound spells count towards that limit. High risk and high reward for prepping 2 spells on a familiar. Trying to figure out if I want them to each have the ability to cast a second spell during final quick cast. Thoughts?

Next task is for me to knock out some of the mage only equipment.
...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 09:51:08 AM »
Alright, this time I have some Mage only equipment for you all. Not as good at making equipment as I am at creatures, but I think I came up with some cool ones.

Next up, Legendary and Epic Creatures for all. After that, I think it will be high time to start testing some of this stuff out.
...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
Not a productive day for making cards, but I'm enjoying the idea of this one. Too strong?

...ergh...argh...